House Price Crash Forum

Suspected Burglar Stabbed To Death In Salford

muggle

HOLA441
Suspected burglar stabbed to death in Salford

A suspected burglar has been stabbed to death while trying to break into a house in Greater Manchester.

It is understood the man was attempting to get into a house in Ethel Avenue, Salford, on Wednesday night when the householder tried to defend the house.

The man, 26, is believed to have been carried away by other members of a balaclava-clad gang as they fled...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-13885457

If a gang of people wearing balaclavas broke into my home i think I might well react just as strongly.

HOLA442

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-13885457

If a gang of people wearing balaclavas broke into my home i think I might well react just as strongly.

How unreasonable – the reasonable person here would have invited the gang in, arranged some tea and biscuits and then gone through the local college prospectus to show them that there is hope and that they can mend the errors of their ways.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

There was a new story on the radio several years ago where a pensioner had killed someone breaking in. The policeman being interviewed gave the distinct impression that his attitude was that the guy had done everyone a favour.

A whole balaclava-clad gang breaking in makes me wonder if there's something more than a burglary involved though. On the other hand it's Salford, so that's normal day-to-day business.

HOLA448
HOLA449

What sort of wimpy gang goes in mob handed with balaclavas and then runs away after one stabbing?

Most of them are cowards, like the ones you see running away after and old Granny starts swinging her handbag. Any sort of resistance triggers their flight response.

I dont like the way the police automatically arrest the real victims either. One thing that the USA does right is give the benefit of the doubt to the occupier when it's blatantly obvious they have defended their home. The police these days prefer an easy collar, following the letter of the law rather than the spirit of justice.

HOLA4410

Most of them are cowards, like the ones you see running away after and old Granny starts swinging her handbag. Any sort of resistance triggers their flight response.

I dont like the way the police automatically arrest the real victims either. One thing that the USA does right is give the benefit of the doubt to the occupier when it's blatantly obvious they have defended their home. The police these days prefer an easy collar, following the letter of the law rather than the spirit of justice.

Remember that case where a tourist in the USA was shot for knocking on someone's door to ask for directions, and the killer successfully got the benefit of the doubt?

HOLA4411

Remember that case where a tourist in the USA was shot for knocking on someone's door to ask for directions, and the killer successfully got the benefit of the doubt?

Yes, always the 'got lost' or 'just knocked on door' scenario is brought up in opposition to householders having the right to defend themselves. If a man shoots and kills someone for knocking on their door then he's a murderer. Presumably he was found out after a proper investigation.

I'm not saying the police shouldn't investigate and ask questions, but to routinly arrest all of occupants of a house that's been attacked by a masked gang is garbage imo.

HOLA4412

It all comes down to reasonable force and reasonable force is to sneak up behind him and hit him on the head as hard as you can with the heaviest thing you can lay your hands on to make absolutely certain that he doesn't get up again for at least an hour. If he never gets up, tough.

Stabbing him would be dangerous, as unless you know what you're doing, you could end up with a wounded and very pissed off burglar.

HOLA4413

It all comes down to reasonable force and reasonable force is to sneak up behind him and hit him on the head as hard as you can with the heaviest thing you can lay your hands on to make absolutely certain that he doesn't get up again for at least an hour. If he never gets up, tough.

Stabbing him would be dangerous, as unless you know what you're doing, you could end up with a wounded and very pissed off burglar.

Hard to sneak up behind him if he has accomplices and he's in the process of breaking into your house! I don't think anyone particularly knows what they're doing or knows what they would do when faced with such a situation. The body goes into automatic. It would take a cool customer to think logically and 'reasonably', guaging the threat and responding with appropriate force - most would grab the most effective thing to hand and use that.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Hard to sneak up behind him if he has accomplices and he's in the process of breaking into your house! I don't think anyone particularly knows what they're doing or knows what they would do when faced with such a situation. The body goes into automatic. It would take a cool customer to think logically and 'reasonably', guaging the threat and responding with appropriate force - most would grab the most effective thing to hand and use that.

Agreed, adrenaline kicks in and your "fight or flight" instincts take over, all rational thought goes and you just react, thinking is for later, its either you or him, and he's in YOUR house, your Family are upstairs, scared. could he kill you? your family? no time to think about it. before you know it, the burgular is lying in a pool of blood, your standing over him, your heart doing a 1000 BPM, your not sure what really just happened, it was all so quick, a blur even, you look down and the blood pool is touching your toes, you raise your hand to see the knife you cant remember picking up covered in blood. YOU just stabbed him.

that is perfectly accpetable in my books. its what happens next that changes the situation, to you then call the police etc to report this, or do you bundle him in to the boot of your car and dump him in the middle of nowhere?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Didn't Cameron announce just this week:

Householders will be allowed to defend their properties by reasonable force

And

Mandatory sentence for carrying a knife

It's a boolean error.

Presumably Cameron's definition of 'carrying' does not include within your own home. If it did, we'd all be going to jail every time we ate our dinner.

And if you can't lay your hand on a very heavy object imnmediately but you can a sharp one? If there is a burglar in your house, that doesn't leave you time to find that hammer you last used three months ago.

HOLA4418

And if you can't lay your hand on a very heavy object imnmediately but you can a sharp one? If there is a burglar in your house, that doesn't leave you time to find that hammer you last used three months ago.

Just a question of what's most likely to get him out of action (and you want to minimise contaminating your place with his blood).

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

that is perfectly accpetable in my books. its what happens next that changes the situation, to you then call the police etc to report this, or do you bundle him in to the boot of your car and dump him in the middle of nowhere?

Ah yes, punished for stupidity by involving the coppers eh?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

A whole balaclava-clad gang breaking in makes me wonder if there's something more than a burglary involved though. On the other hand it's Salford, so that's normal day-to-day business.

Remind me which town all those BBC staffers are relocating to again...

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived