House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

341 Economists Write To The Times About The Cuts

They are talking about it now on Sky News. Apparently 341 Economists have written to The Times saying that the cuts are too much and are doing something bad for the economy...

They are talking about how it is going to get bad when the cuts begin...

Sorry, I have to do this...

When the feck are the cuts going to begin? When is a single public sector worker that I know - bear in mind I live in a city where 70% of the workforce are in the public sector - loses their job? Just one! Just a token firing!?

All around me private businesses are firing people, going out of business, shops closing but all the public sector workers are carrying on as if it is boom time.

Not that I want people fired but every flipping time I read abou letters from Economists warning about 'when the cuts begin' I want a date for the cuts actually beginning!

If they were so clever, those 341 economists should have written to the Times when the last stupid government was spending money like water.. It's a bit late to get all intellectual now.

Edited by exiges

If we don't cut we go the way of Greece and have cuts enforced. The current cuts only make a small dent anyway, and won't turn the deficit around until 2015-16, and then there's the debt to pay off. Mission impossible. I have already planned for the worst.

If they were so clever, those 341 economists should have written to the Times when the last stupid government was spending money like water.. It's a bit late to get all intellectual now.

A commentator on Sky just said the same thing.

Public sector worker here.

I get told in September if I'm up for the chop.

Sorry to hear that - but why September? Pulic Sector budgets are April to April? Are they waiting till everyone has had their Summer hols?

And how many of these economists work in the public sector or indirectly for the public sector? In universities, think-tanks, QUANGOS, etc, etc?

Funny how some many economists have spent so little time in the private sector. Been like this since the second world war. No wonder the West is so f*cked up.

And how many of these economists work in the public sector or indirectly for the public sector? In universities, think-tanks, QUANGOS, etc, etc?

Funny how some many economists have spent so little time in the private sector. Been like this since the second world war. No wonder the West is so f*cked up.

The global warming machine has similar conflict of interest issues.

Southampton council works are striking over a 5% pay cut. At my company we have had a pay and bonus freeze for 3 years with no end in sight and we have signed an addendum to our contracts to opt for a 20% pay cut, reduced working hours after the company shed 50% of its employess. And there is no gurnatee that our jobs are safe. The public sector needs to realise the pain the private sector is feeling and it has to down size/cut the unneeded fat out

:lol:

Indeed. If they were so bloody clever they also would have been writing to the Times screaming bloody murder when Gordon sold half our gold at the lowest price possible.

Tw@ts. Line 'em up up against the wall, inbetween the politicians and bankers.

Edited by General Congreve

I've never heard of a public sector worker losing their job since the coalition coming to power. I think what is happening is though is what I talked about in my last thread about the government not replacing people when they retire.

If the public sector is 8 million strong, and just 5% retire or die or get disabled or leave for other opportunity this year.. that works out to 400,000 people.

I've never heard of a public sector worker losing their job since the coalition coming to power. I think what is happening is though is what I talked about in my last thread about the government not replacing people when they retire.

If the public sector is 8 million strong, and just 5% retire or die or get disabled or leave for other opportunity this year.. that works out to 400,000 people.

Have you ever heard of someone being fired for becoming disabled? Reduced hours, working from home on full pay more like. Lets hope it doesnt catch on ;)

Have you ever heard of someone being fired for becoming disabled? Reduced hours, working from home on full pay more like. Lets hope it doesnt catch on ;)

Good grief.

Southampton council works are striking over a 5% pay cut. At my company we have had a pay and bonus freeze for 3 years with no end in sight and we have signed an addendum to our contracts to opt for a 20% pay cut, reduced working hours after the company shed 50% of its employess. And there is no gurnatee that our jobs are safe. The public sector needs to realise the pain the private sector is feeling and it has to down size/cut the unneeded fat out

Not sure what the law is in the UK these days, but is there anything stopping you going on strike.

The funny thing is people always prattle on about what a waste of space public sector workers are, but the moment their bins don't get collected or their kids are sent home from school suddenly they realise that perhaps public sector workers do contribute something to the running of the world.

Which is why strikes in the public sector work and, by and large, they don't in the private sector.

Ask yourself Monkey: if you withdrew labour, who would notice? Given that the reason for pay cuts and redundancies is lack of demand for product, perhaps not many people would. When I think of the private sector jobs I've had, the answer is either (i) no one or (ii) the shareholders in a couple of years time. When I think of the public sector positions I've held, if I didn't rock up they'd be problems.

Final point: I don't mean to sound dismissive of your situation and am sorry to hear about the pay cut. Hopefully it means that your firm won't have to cut more employees.

The funny thing is people always prattle on about what a waste of space public sector workers are, but the moment their bins don't get collected or their kids are sent home from school suddenly they realise that perhaps public sector workers do contribute something to the running of the world.

Why do people alway use these two examples of why we need the public sector? They never say how we need the planners or traffic wardens.

My guess is that when its time to be a firing, the teachers and bin men wont have too much to worry about.

Not sure what the law is in the UK these days, but is there anything stopping you going on strike.

Which is why strikes in the public sector work and, by and large, they don't in the private sector.

Ask yourself Monkey: if you withdrew labour, who would notice? Given that the reason for pay cuts and redundancies is lack of demand for product, perhaps not many people would. When I think of the private sector jobs I've had, the answer is either (i) no one or (ii) the shareholders in a couple of years time. When I think of the public sector positions I've held, if I didn't rock up they'd be problems.

Final point: I don't mean to sound dismissive of your situation and am sorry to hear about the pay cut. Hopefully it means that your firm won't have to cut more employees.

Well by the same token the public sector could accept a 10% (?) wage cut or a 10% cut in the number of staff.

Also, don't forget you can chose to decline services from the private sector if they are too expensive ........ try not paying your council tax if it is too expensive. Does that seem right?