House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giordano Bruno

Another Boiler Room

A gang of "Costa del Crime" fraudsters have been convicted of preying on hundreds of British pensioners in a £20 million share con.

It's quite puzzling how they manage to persuade people to give them their money. It is to me anyway.

link

It's been the same with the Landbanking scams. The cold callers give the hard sell, and play on people's greed.

It's been the same with the Landbanking scams. The cold callers give the hard sell, and play on people's greed.

and also peoples' fear that they will otherwise miss out on profit opportunities

as the stockmarket boom goes out of the stealth phase over the coming decade, this will happen more and more

Guest eight

A gang of "Costa del Crime" fraudsters have been convicted of preying on hundreds of British pensioners in a £20 million share con.

It's quite puzzling how they manage to persuade people to give them their money. It is to me anyway.

link

My heart bleeds. Not.

I always wonder how somebody who is capable of falling for one of these things actually managed to accumulate any wealth in the first place. Just goes to show how benign economic conditions were for the average Joe, prior to this present crash.

My FIL is a classic example. All he did was get a job (skilled, admittedly, but he had been apprenticed when such things were available) one day in the sixties and then went to it for the next 40 years. Now, by any reasonable measure, he's absolutely minted. The same opportunities are not available to his children - literally, as his workplace upped sticks to Poland not long after he'd taken early retirement.

Now he whinges about the performance of his stock portfolio.

Isn't there an old quote, beloved by scam artists? Goes along the line "It's impossible to con an honest man..." Not sure it's totally true tbh.

In fact some interesting discussion about this here:-

Can you con a honest man?

Isn't there an old quote, beloved by scam artists? Goes along the line "It's impossible to con an honest man..." Not sure it's totally true tbh.

Small beer compared to the banksters,who appear to have got clean away.

link

It is to me too.

But then i remember people are idiots. When they get greedy, this idiocy reaches boiling point.