House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ʎqɐqɹǝʞɐɥs

Canal Street House Prices 'rocket'

No please, before you all jump down my throat (in more ways than one) I will have you know I am not homophobic in the slightest. Live and let live and each to their own in my book (unless youre a greedy money grabbing BTL scab or a baby boomer please pay my pension and medical NHS fees cashing in on the boom times slapper that is!). Basically we have had the free living feminists and possible gold digger womens lib blamed for price house price rises by some poster and another so what about homesexual couple (gay and lesbian). Not so long ago (in fact in my lifetime) it used to be suppressed and frowned upon. Now it is celebrated, maybe even encouraged, and with so much deposable income between two childless partners wanting the finer things in life my question is... has the pink vote contributed to driving up luxury waterfront apartment prices?

No please, before you all jump down my throat (in more ways than one) I will have you know I am not homophobic in the slightest. Live and let live and each to their own in my book (unless youre a greedy money grabbing BTL scab or a baby boomer please pay my pension and medical NHS fees cashing in on the boom times slapper that is!). Basically we have had the free living feminists and possible gold digger womens lib blamed for price house price rises by some poster and another so what about homesexual couple (gay and lesbian). Not so long ago (in fact in my lifetime) it used to be suppressed and frowned upon. Now it is celebrated, maybe even encouraged, and with so much deposable income between two childless partners wanting the finer things in life my question is... has the pink vote contributed to driving up luxury waterfront apartment prices?

Well, in relation to canal street that would make sense...a finite amount of properties...a large demand from a portion of society with perhaps a larger disposable income (for the reasons you gave). Kinda makes sense there...

didnt i just read this in the off topic forum. i know its late, but uah ha.!

Apparently homosexual postings are redirected to the 'off topic' forum even if its about housing and homo house purchase trends.

Interesting!

I guess it does go back to supply and demand. Remember that Canal Street doesn't just serve Manchester's gay community, but lots of more conservative towns and villages upto 150 miles away. There's a huge market wanting to buy in a very small area.

Works a bit like this:

Bobby grows up in Timbuktu where he's the only gay in the village. When he get's a bit older he hears of a village on the internet far far away where life for gay people is fabulous darling. All nightclubs, bars, potential suitors, friends and acceptance.

He travels to the village for a weekend and is amazed by what he sees. Back home on Monday the wallpaper suddenly looks much more drab, and the 2 up 2 down he's expected to buy just isn't fabulous enough (or offers any chance at all of freeing him up to find someone to share his life with). How he longs to live in or near the village where the opportunities belong.

So he and some like minded friends from other Timbuktus get together and rent near Canal street. They secure jobs nearby, each meets a partner and "flees the nest", to set up a home of their own in a community they feel offers them safety, a network of friends and of course fabulousness (2 up 2 downs just don't cut it for a young gay couple; much to common and ordinary and real).

So, childless couple, both working or self employed, plently of disposable income, have a need to buy in a certain area, there's your answer.

For a young gay couple, living in a community near to a gay scene is worth the same premium that a hetrosexual couple will pay to be in the catchment area for the best schools.

Once they've matured and grown more confident about themselves (and other's perception of them), that same gay couple will want nothing more than to move away from the gay scene into suburbia to begin, get this, a normal life. By that I mean become a part of suburban society and face the reality of 2 up 2 downs, local pubs for a nice drink, and fixing up the garden with stuff from B&Q. In effect they move back to a Timbuktu.

This is why gay villages never grow in size over the years. For every new resident coming out of the closet, there's an older resident wishing he had a closet, or a shed, or a garden and moves out into suburbia.

I often compare a young gay man's "coming out phase" to a young teenage girl's puberty years.

Both groups spend money recklessley, both groups just have to own the latest fashions and things, both groups find that daily life is just a way of counting the days until they can go out at the weekend, and most of all, both groups are preparing themselves to find a partner.

The difference is that a teenage girl get's her funding from whatever her parents can afford and can't run up a ton of debt while going through this stage, not so with a 20 year old gay man!

In Newcastle (where I was brought up) the local gay area was around Waterloo Street and flats there went for megabucks. Inside they were just small, cramped and poor standard (for the money). Most of the gay community still renting lived in Cruddass Park about 5 minutes drive along the road. Cruddass Park is the village of multi storey flats from "The Likely Lads". It became so full to the brim with gay people that the local chavs renamed it Vaseline Valley. The fact is though that the area was so rough and dirty that the only reason it was still inhabited was it's close proximity to the gay village.

Eventually though, even the pink pound has a value, and canal street may just end up unaffordable even for it! BTL beware!

someone call me a rainbow taxi !!!

id say manchester is the gayest town ive ever seen. ive never been to brighton, but ive hearrd there are lots of queens there. in manchester they are largely responsible for adding a bit of culture to the town. there was always music and metropolitan petty crime before. since about 97 id say it got a lot gayer. -before 97 it was all about salford van hire. stolen bmx's on rain soaked playgrounds (hoodies). collyhurst and granda reports.

now im not gay. but i like the general vibe of it all. though i myself wouldnt go to the clubs on canal street, i might nip on a pimms in the old monkey a block away were its not so frankie goes to hollywood. the last thing you would want to do is to wake up after a big night out on the leading float on the gay pride festival wearing a hello mum t shirt. perhaps also wearing one of those 'butch' or is it 'macho' caps. searching for some 'company'.......

either way, its a big city. im sure the pink pound has loaded up the local hipster uber flats. i suppose city flats are perfect for generally childless couples with 2 jobs and wide social lifestyles. the areas around canal st are a mix of students and residents, theres a lot of umist accomadation round there too. which is a suprise i am sure for some less cosmopolitan freshmen new to manchester from say, berwick upon tweed..

i suppose there must be by newtons laws, a lesbian section in manchester. i have been trying to 'sniff out' where it is. i think its over near the birds eye plant in ashton under lyne. and also, remember. for every gay man there is a lonley woman somewhere out there who needs some sensible to holes barred 'love making'. after that, a romantic quick skip in a meadow like the couple on a circa 1975 durex packet. after that. a nice semi and missionary tues & friday. doggie on saturday after ant and dec and on sunday. oral bullseye.

Well if Manc is the gayest town in the UK then Sydney has got to be the gayest town in the world. That hasn't stopped house prices going down there.

I wonder if anyone on here could tell us if apartments around Oxford Street are still fetching a premium (Oxford St, Sydney).

Perhaps it would be a good business investment to make your own "gay village". You know those buider's clubs where you buy a plot of land and build the plots.

Would there be a market for "gay villages" in the suburbs? Who knows?

you can make your own village with the new sets of pink LEGO 'Gay' bricks.

theres a gay village, gay castle, gay airport and gay zoo and you can bend the lego men figures over to make them look like they are buming each other. you can also turn the lego mens heads half way around to make them look like they are looking back.

theres a gay village, gay castle, gay airport and gay zoo and you can bend the lego men figures over to make them look like they are buming each other. you can also turn the lego mens heads half way around to make them look like they are looking back.

I prefer to play Sim City 4 in my spare time on the weekends, but I guess it takes allsorts. Enjoy your lego Fred!

There's nothing new in single-sex households. It's just less hidden now. There were always "spinsters" who lived together and "confirmed bachelors" who shared property to "save money".

You have to be careful using words like "homo". As a term used in an abusive way, tt has overtones that some people might take offense at.

though i myself wouldnt go to the clubs on canal street, i might nip on a pimms in the old monkey a block away were its not so frankie goes to hollywood.

There's nothing wrong with the Old Monkey. :unsure:

BTW - Is it ..er...gay as such? I did spot two young guys with shaved heads wearing trackies'n'trainers coming out of the cubicle in the Gents with big smiles on their faces, just as I entered the room. :o

i suppose there must be by newtons laws, a lesbian section in manchester. i have been trying to 'sniff out' where it is.

Yes, it's in the GAY VILLAGE (Doh!). :lol: My lesbian colleague at work can attest to this. :rolleyes:

Webmaster - Why do the smilies no longer insert where the cursor is?

i suppose there must be by newtons laws, a lesbian section in manchester. i have been trying to 'sniff out' where it is. i think its over near the birds eye plant in ashton under lyne. and also, remember. for every gay man there is a lonley woman somewhere out there who needs some sensible to holes barred 'love making'. after that, a romantic quick skip in a meadow like the couple on a circa 1975 durex packet. after that. a nice semi and missionary tues & friday. doggie on saturday after ant and dec and on sunday. oral bullseye.

Rofl

:lol::lol::lol:

i think the old monkey isnt a gay pub. at least i dont think it is. i think the one further along called rembrants is. though i suppose the whole gay crowd in manchester will be in all the towns clubs/bars. i think the canal st area is the main hub though.

the lesbian area is in the gay area ? no wonder no one could find it.

i was looking for a pink bar with lights and blonde girls in high heels and tight pvc dresses with girl partners the same but brunette. possibly looking like cleo rocos.? where are those lesbians i read about >

someone call me a rainbow taxi !!!

id say manchester is the gayest town ive ever seen. ive never been to brighton, but ive hearrd there are lots of queens there. in manchester they are largely responsible for adding a bit of culture to the town. there was always music and metropolitan petty crime before. since about 97 id say it got a lot gayer. -before 97 it was all about salford van hire. stolen bmx's on rain soaked playgrounds (hoodies). collyhurst and granda reports.

now im not gay. but i like the general vibe of it all. though i myself wouldnt go to the clubs on canal street, i might nip on a pimms in the old monkey a block away were its not so frankie goes to hollywood. the last thing you would want to do is to wake up after a big night out on the leading float on the gay pride festival wearing a hello mum t shirt. perhaps also wearing one of those 'butch' or is it 'macho' caps. searching for some 'company'.......

either way, its a big city. im sure the pink pound has loaded up the local hipster uber flats. i suppose city flats are perfect for generally childless couples with 2 jobs and wide social lifestyles. the areas around canal st are a mix of students and residents, theres a lot of umist accomadation round there too. which is a suprise i am sure for some less cosmopolitan freshmen new to manchester from say, berwick upon tweed..

Your Rainbow taxi has arrived Sir. Now would Mr Dead care to sit in the front with Jeffry to see how to handle a sticky gear stick or the back with Bungle?

What! What do you mean its the wrong type of Rainbow?

Do the gay lego men arms move to give the other gay lego man a 'reach around'? Also do they come with different costumes and uniforms where you can collect them all?

Edited by shakerbaby

Do the gay legos men arms move to give the other gay lego man a 'reach around'? Also do they come with different costumes and uniforms where you can collect them all?

No Shaker, unfortunately not.

Some other company copywrited that idea first!

Gayplay

:D:D:D

I dont see how sexuality comes into play :blink: Can you give a little more information to help discuss it? Im thinking that some gay couples actually adopt children, some gay couples have children from previous marriges, 2 gay people may both own a seperate place before they get together so infact when they get together they "free" up a house/flat. Is it just gay people who dont want /cant have children that want the finer things in life?

I could understand if the topic was based upon women giving birth later on in life, so a couple is potentially more affluent at thier age compared to thier parents and thus have more income to contribute to HPI. That being said i would argue that women having children later in life is more a result of HPI and of course social roles but thats not the question anyways.

I do not think that gay people can be blamed for HPI, i would say that yes they have contributed to HPI but just like straight people have. People with blue eyes have made a considerable contribution to HPI.

I maybe missing the point somehow, but i dont see how sexuality has anything to do with house prices in any way shape or form. Again though back to my first sentence, can you give a little more information to discuss is.

There's nothing new in single-sex households. It's just less hidden now. There were always "spinsters" who lived together and "confirmed bachelors" who shared property to "save money".

You have to be careful using words like "homo". As a term used in an abusive way, tt has overtones that some people might take offense at.

So if someone refers to me as "Hetero" as in "Heterosexual" i should take offence?

So if someone refers to me as "Hetero" as in "Heterosexual" i should take offence?

Hetero to my knowledge has never been hurled as an insult to a person before, homo has - it has got itself a negative name tag.

On the literal sense of it there is nothing wrong with the word 'homo' as a shortened version, but when the word has been used in a deragatory way in the past i think we are right to be careful about its use - shouldnt have to be but the worlds a sh*tty place. The gay people i know wouldnt take offence to being refered to as homo, they are a little tougher than that. Some people will find it offencive though.

A sentence comes to mind.

"You can refer to me as homo but dont you dare call me one "

On the literal sense of it there is nothing wrong with the word 'homo' as a shortened version, but when the word has been used in a deragatory way in the past i think we are right to be careful about its use - shouldnt have to be but the worlds a sh*tty place. The gay people i know wouldnt take offence to being refered to as homo, they are a little tougher than that. Some people will find it offencive though.

OMG! The Chuz - who says he hates everyone equally - finally shows us his softer side! :lol:

OMG! The Chuz - who says he hates everyone equally - finally shows us his softer side! :lol:

Its probably easier to remember it as i dislike everyone equally. End of the day its people i dont like, not gay people, not black people, not fat people, not ugly people but people.

Its probably easier to remember it as i dislike everyone equally. End of the day its people i dont like, not gay people, not black people, not fat people, not ugly people but people.

How very egalitarian of you! :D

How very egalitarian of you! :D

I had to look that one up :lol:

From my understanding of it... sort of, but i know there is a need for different social levels i know there is a need for bad things to happen and for bad people to exist, i know that although people are the same level on the food chain there is a need for a class structure in our type of societies.

Its all these things that make me dislike people.. its humankind i think is pathetic, it could be so much more than it is, it could be so much better, but its not because of the way people are. People think they are entittled to certain things, people show there ignorance all the time, people cannot accept others and there annoying ways.

Im no better, i am someone who belongs under the people catagory, the difference is that i recognise that. Its going to end up as a jibber so im giving up :lol:

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Apparently homosexual postings are redirected to the 'off topic' forum even if its about housing and homo house purchase trends.

Well it did not take this one long to go off topic, how many replies to this thread refer to the Gay- property buying- community.

Likewise the same in the OTF.