Two Bedrooms Rate:

£114.23 per week

Three Bedrooms Rate:

£126.92 per week

Four Bedrooms Rate:

£173.08 per week

weekly rent for property is

(550 x12/52)

Which as we can all see if the 3 bedroom rate for LHA.

Why would someone on DSS who could get the cash for a 3 bed pick a 2 bed?

http://www.rightmove...y-13084656.html

DSS Welcome

2 bedroom

£550

pcm

11 Hollingworth Avenue, Manchester, M40 3RB

LHA by postcode gives us

Weekly LHA rate for June 2011

Central Greater Manchester BRMA

Shared Accommodation Rate:

£60.00 per week

One Bedroom Rate:

£93.46 per week

Two Bedrooms Rate:

£114.23 per week

Three Bedrooms Rate:

£126.92 per week

Four Bedrooms Rate:

£173.08 per week

weekly rent for property is

(550 x12/52)

Which as we can all see if the 3 bedroom rate for LHA.

to grow skunk in the spare room

Looks like based on LHA rates before they dropped from the 50th to 30th percentile:

March LHA rates

In for a shock if they hadn't realised, and for many more landlords early next year when the cuts come in for those already on the higher LHA rates when the changes came in......

M40 eh

Between failsworth (speaks for itself the name) Blackley, Moston and Newton Heath. I wouldn't set foot inthere without being heavily armed tbh.

Probably because that LHA rate isn't enough for a 3-bed home. Are there any being advertised in the area for £550 a month? If there are, will the landlord accept HB tenants? The majority will not (although some tenants will subsequently claim HB when they lose their job).

Incidentally no one is "on DSS"; it was abolished over a decade ago.

Probably because that LHA rate isn't enough for a 3-bed home. Are there any being advertised in the area for £550 a month? If there are, will the landlord accept HB tenants? The majority will not (although some tenants will subsequently claim HB when they lose their job).

Just a quick question, how do Landlords know whether their tenants are on HB? I thought the money went into the claimants bank nowadays.

Just a quick question, how do Landlords know whether their tenants are on HB? I thought the money went into the claimants bank nowadays.

Most landlords ask if the tenant is working and letting agents in particular usually require references. HB claimants generally have to rent direct from a landlord who will accept HB claimants or who doesn't ask many questions.

Hang on - just found out the LHA for my area - Reading, using this page

http://www.direct.go...nline/DG_196239

Around £580 a month for a couple. No wonder we haven't got cheaper rents if the govt are paying for people that don't earn enough to live in an area they can't afford

it is a disgrace

up and down the country rents and hence (via yields) house prices are set by government funding, not by a free market price

this is being slowly removed by the current govt but will take some years

What spare room? To be eligible for the 3-bedroom rate the claimant would typically have three children (depending on ages and gender). All in a 2-bed property.

easy.

Pretend to split with your missus. Then demand housing benefit for your own place and when you have the kids over. Then sublet it out for cash to the local prossies or dealers.

You have to think like them.... this house could easily be in a prime spot to do a bit of dealing or tomming from - hence a premium for a 2 bed house....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-13084656.html

Because having one child, they have been assessed as requiring a two bedder only?

I don't think a claimant can just go shopping up to a certain budget. If they took a 3 bed, I would expect the benefit limit to stop at that for a two bedder anyway.

Erm all prices are negotiable. This is enshrined in the 1974 sale of goods act - and applies equally to tenancy contracts. The buyer always makes an offer - and this offer is either accepted or rejected by the seller. This is how the law sees business interactions... there's no reason to assume that rents are special.

Conversely, I'm entirely bemused at why anyone would think that landlord should be constrained to ask no more than 'housing benefit' for any specific property... even if they're happy to have someone dependent on such a benefit as a tenant.

The biggest disgrace is that such outrageous rents are being paid using my taxes - driving up the price of places I have to rent from my own pocket.