House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Asda Boss Quits As Lidl/ Aldi Rule The Market

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/business-news/asda-boss-steps-down-as-many-shoppers-go-to-discounting-rivals-16014663.html

Asda boss steps down as many shoppers go to discounting rivals

By Philip "Phil" Whiterow

Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Asda has been hardest hit by shoppers cutting back and spending more in no-frills supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl, new research suggests.

In today's economy its reduce your prices or die. Same applies to ghouse prices--let the prices tumble (deflate) or wait for a buyer for years and years and years.

Asda boss steps down as many shoppers go to discounting rivals

Hmm... you'd have thought ASDA would have done okay occupying the middle ground - won't some of the sainsburys/waitrose customers have moved down a grade to ASDA? So, this implies that the posher customers are either still able to afford the higher prices, or they've leapfrogged over ASDA and gone straight for the bottom of the barrel*

* I quite like Lidl, but it's a decidedly weird place...

Hmm... you'd have thought ASDA would have done okay occupying the middle ground - won't some of the sainsburys/waitrose customers have moved down a grade to ASDA? So, this implies that the posher customers are either still able to afford the higher prices, or they've leapfrogged over ASDA and gone straight for the bottom of the barrel*

My local Lidl is full of ex M&S customers - they have the M&S plastic carrier bags.

My local M&S food hall is very empty nowadays - I can't recall the last time I saw it busy or the shelves filled.

I sometimes stop off at the Aldi/Lidl in Kemptown near Brighton and if you think the store is weird you only have to look at the people that shop in there.

I find myself getting depressed in Asda. Used to get that in the States too whenever I shopped in Wal*Mart. Women with overbleached blonde hair and black roots--tatoos in abundance etc. I don't want to sound like a snob but I actually prefer Waitrose and M&S and still find Tesco okay as I like theior points system--free dinners at Prezzo for life! :D

Time to get out of any company whose growth has been funded by debt and still has substantial debt. Those companies will be going bust. It could not be simpler.

It's a little bit more complicated than that. Companies benefit from inflationary policies as their own debt is reduced in favour of capital. On the other hand they lose out for all products that relied on debt to be purchased. It's quite complex as just about all consumer purchases relied on debt directly or indirectly. You can expect lower turnover in real terms, higher profitability (wage costs are the biggest victims of inflation) and healthier balance sheets (in real terms).

think it's more that their demographic is more price sensitive.sainsbury's customers in my experience will trade down the brands or starve before they shop at ada or lidl.

funnily enough went shopping at a different asda to my normal one and noticed that a good few of the prices were higher than at my normal one which.across the board,I'd say,aldi isn't noticeably cheaper,particualrly if you can get on with the smartprice range(17p for the toofpaste and it's the same ingredients as colgate ;) )

I like Sainsburys (as opposed to Tesco) as I find that my shopping basket is generally cheaper there, and the quality is better. I'm not averse to going in Lidl either. Again you can get some quality produce at low prices there. I'm glad I don't live near an Asda, as I've found in the past the quality of foodstuffs there to be dire.

They're building an Aldi near the tesco in Failsworth.

Should be good for everyone - apart from tesco.

Oh and maybe the greengrocer who has survived tesco - but aldi have cheapy veggys

Oh and maybe the greengrocer who has survived tesco - but aldi have cheapy veggys

I have started using Aldi.The quality is OK,less selection,but that doesn't matter too much on basic stuff.I buy high quality bread from an independent baker but apart from that there is no real advantage in going to Tesco/Sainsbury/Morrisons. The local ASDA looks like a soup kitchen and they must hold the record for BMI -staff and customers.

'I will travel first class or third, but never second' - Noel Coward.

I think within 3 miles of me I have asda, morrisons, lidl, aldi, farmfoods and an Iceland. Also there is a costco, but no tesco, apart from a small express.

There’s also 4 farm shops that I know of and 2 places that hold a regular farmers market.

IITH, my rating for veg in order is costco, farmers market/shop, aldi/lidl, morrisons, asda (I’m not sure even if FF’s/Iceland sell fresh veg!)

For fresh meat it’s farmers market/shop, costco, morrisons, asda, aldi/lidl.

I don’t tend to buy a lot of other produce that I can be picky about where I get it from. Frozen is frozen and much of what I eat is made from scratch thus negating 80% of the premade over-processed crap that all supermarkets/wholesalers sell anyway (even farmers shops have a fair bit of crap on sale tbh, even if it is better tasting and more expensive).

There’s a Tesco going up near me soon too, which I admit I’ll probably use as it’ll be in very close proximity to me. I try my best to use better places but sometimes time just doesn’t permit so the best I can at least do is always cook from scratch.

I think within 3 miles of me I have asda, morrisons, lidl, aldi, farmfoods and an Iceland. Also there is a costco, but no tesco, apart from a small express.

There’s also 4 farm shops that I know of and 2 places that hold a regular farmers market.

IITH, my rating for veg in order is costco, farmers market/shop, aldi/lidl, morrisons, asda (I’m not sure even if FF’s/Iceland sell fresh veg!)

For fresh meat it’s farmers market/shop, costco, morrisons, asda, aldi/lidl.

I don’t tend to buy a lot of other produce that I can be picky about where I get it from. Frozen is frozen and much of what I eat is made from scratch thus negating 80% of the premade over-processed crap that all supermarkets/wholesalers sell anyway (even farmers shops have a fair bit of crap on sale tbh, even if it is better tasting and more expensive).

There’s a Tesco going up near me soon too, which I admit I’ll probably use as it’ll be in very close proximity to me. I try my best to use better places but sometimes time just doesn’t permit so the best I can at least do is always cook from scratch.

Yes,I sort of share your concerns regarding Aldi meat.I use an independent butcher but Aldi does save quite a lot of money on the products that are not quality/price related.I was surprised at how small the bill was when I shopped there.My brother claims to have spent £100 in LIDL.I think they had to shut and re stock.

Near here we have all the major supermarkets

Tesco 24hr - Most expensive supermarket refuse to shop there.

Morrisons - cramp little hole of a store, not much cheaper anymore

Sainsburys - This is where we do the majority of the shopping, the prices are ok and quality generally better than morrisons/asda/tesco

Asda - reasonable price, but awful quality. I do buy work trousers/shirts as they are dirt cheap and I can throw them away without worrying about the cost.

Lidl - I keep trying, but I just don't like it :(

Aldi - Love it :D great prices and some nice alternatives to the main brands.

Netto - We're shopping here for certain items on a weekly basis now

Home bargains - Has some tat, but you can find some things worth the journey

What I am seeing in the cars in the car parks at the cheaper supermarkets getting more and more expensive.

Only RB could see firms having difficulties attracting customers because of rising prices as deflationary...

Edityed to add a corrallry:

I used to buy Ferrari's, but now money is tight, I've swapped to buying Fords.

Edited by Lepista

Aldi are good for veggies. I'm just not sure what planet they are grown on.

Edited by Sir John Steed

I quite like morrisons for the meat - they have some interesting cuts you don't get in most of the others (hearts, tripe, neck, etc.)

This, however, came from the local market...

4082643135_90c0a68ae8_m.jpg

Can't say I recommend it. I've never had to shave my lunch before and it never stops looking like... well, a big fat pig head on a plate (those little things are pig-tails btw).

As a amazon forum regular said ..." Lidl looks like a supermarket would if communism had won"

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I don't accept that Lidl is "below" ASDA in any way - the quality of produce in Lidl is much better than ASDA or Tesco.

We have always got out shopping from a mixture of Lidl/Waitrose/Sainsburys.

I am a Waitrose and Lidl/Aldi man. Asda is not to my taste.

It strikes me that the people who 'would never dream of shopping at Lidl' are typically the aspirational types who are trying to create the impression that they are doing well.

The genuinely well off seem to feel no stigma at going there and of course it gets a lot of custom from those without a lot of spare cash. They have great prices and generally good quality produce, if a little restricted in choice and often lacking major brand names.

As others have noted, it is a bit of a strange experience going there though. It always manages to feel somehow desolate to me, maybe because they don't have all the bells and whistles of a typical store.

Anyway, regarding 'deflation' I'd say the fact that more and more people are deserting the traditional mainstream supermarkets for the bargain basement stores is a sign of raging inflation in the prices of essentials, forcing people to 'trade down'. Good old hedonic adjustment should brush that under the carpet though.....

I sometimes stop off at the Aldi/Lidl in Kemptown near Brighton and if you think the store is weird you only have to look at the people that shop in there.

Who me? I have been known to frequent exactly that store when I can't be arsed to walk to ASDA's at the Marina...