House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elizabeth

4x4 Owners Survey

When i was younger i had a honda civic shuttle with a button that you could press to get you into 4x4, it was great for building up speed on the local meadows so then i could handbrake turn and nearly flip it over with me and my mates inside... needless to say i thought it was cool, slightly older and a hell of alot wiser now. I would imagine that atleast 90% of 4x4 owners do not use it in a 4x4 role.

There was a really good song by an australian eco-friendly folk rock band in the 80s about yuppies taking their 4 wheel drives right up to the gates of the national park. It kindof sums up the 4 wheel drive movement for me. Shame I screwed up the poll though (you have to answer in both the I do and I don't options!)

Dont be silly, this is a loaded rhetorical question... right?

When i was younger i had a honda civic shuttle with a button that you could press to get you into 4x4, it was great for building up speed on the local meadows so then i could handbrake turn and nearly flip it over with me and my mates inside... needless to say i thought it was cool, slightly older and a hell of alot wiser now. I would imagine that atleast 90% of 4x4 owners do not use it in a 4x4 role.

Thought you didnt have mates as you hate people. Maybe you just hate your mates and never met a decent human for company. Heck, I dont know as I dont walking in your boots, I just read and interpret your postings. :unsure:

umm... Don't know what you mean :unsure: actually I would be very interested to know the levels, but I don't know that anyone is going to answer that truthfully (the problem of self reporting in research!)

Those Honda Civic shuttles weren't quite the status symbol that the current tanks are. If we are thinking about the same kind of car, my mates had one and I crashed it into a tree trying to reverse the damn thing and getting the 4x button confused with ...something or other... It didn't even look like a 4x.

No, I think this version might have been earlier than that (1987) but it was definitely a honda.

There isn't an other for "I don't own a 4x4 and my most critical reason is...", I could put Environment or Don't need it but I'll post a reason anyway :)

I don't own a 4x4... in fact nor have I ever owned a car, even tho I passed my driving test way back in the mid/late 80's.

Why.. I'm not anti car, but personally I think it is a mugs game to own one.

Personally 99% of the time I don't need one, and on the very rare occasions when I do I'll get a taxi (I don't think I've used one this year) or perhaps hire a car (I think last time was about 7 years ago)... most of the time I use a combination of trains and cycling instead.

My *total* transport costs each year are about £500-600... or put another way thats the equivalent of a new cheap £10-12k car lasting over 20 years... and that's before even considering the other costs involved in owning a car.

Thought you didnt have mates as you hate people. Maybe you just hate your mates and never met a decent human for company. Heck, I dont know as I dont walking in your boots, I just read and interpret your postings. :unsure:

Shame on you shaker you miss the point of my posts if this is what you think :) I dont like people, i can like a person. It might not seem like a big difference to you but its a huge one for me. I have 3 close friends and they are practically family. 3 Friends, mother, brother and sister thats it. That doesnt mean to say that i wont meet a person and like them in the future though :blink:

That being said, it was 5+ years ago when i had that car, alot has changed since then, infact everything has changed since then.

<_<

Shame on you shaker you miss the point of my posts if this is what you think :) I dont like people, i can like a person. It might not seem like a big difference to you but its a huge one for me. I have 3 close friends and they are practically family. 3 Friends, mother, brother and sister thats it. That doesnt mean to say that i wont meet a person and like them in the future though :blink:

That being said, it was 5+ years ago when i had that car, alot has changed since then, infact everything has changed since then.

<_<

arrghgh chuz - aren't we yer mates?? - us people who are just words on ure screen?? :)

arrghgh chuz - aren't we yer mates?? - us people who are just words on ure screen?? :)

:lol::)

Im extreemly fussy about who i call friend, once your a friend then there is nothing i wont do for you, you can be a mate for now though, which is a lesser scale of a friend, its someone who seems ok but i wouldnt go out of my way to help them unless there was something in it for me. Sounds abit harsh dont it, its just being realistic though :)

This is all getting a bit mushy again. Are we going to reestablish that fine tradition of posting a string saying bye bye to all when we have to sign off for a couple of days?

This is all getting a bit mushy again. Are we going to reestablish that fine tradition of posting a string saying bye bye to all when we have to sign off for a couple of days?

I can do one better...

:lol:

yeah - this is hpc for gods sake! no mushiness round here!!! we're well 'ard! B)

yeah - this is hpc for gods sake! no mushiness round here!!! we're well 'ard! B)

Dun you make me real hard. :P:P:P:huh:

Sorry, I'll get me coat! :(

Dun you make me real hard. :P:P:P:huh:

Sorry, I'll get me coat! :(

yeah - but you must be all stubbly by now??!! :o:lol:

I have a landrover discovery (M Reg) LWB. I've used it for the following....

3 yards of garden rubbish on several occasions.

A 42U Server Cabinet (inside with door shut), and on the roof.

400 Cardboard boxes, flat packed of course.

A 6 x 4 oak desk

15 pc's and flat screens

Helping several people move house

and its had various other uses. Has it ever gone off road ..no (apart from some really dodgy car parks)

My car doesn't get used for the school run..we walk, it doesn't get used for shopping ... we walk. We try not to use it as even though its a diesel it is still going to burn a fair amount of gas. I would like to think we use it responsibly.

Where do I fit in on your survey....of 4x4 user = spawn of satan

Where I live, rural Canada, this is a VERY popular vehicle:

ss_ext10.jpg

The most popular engine is the 6.8L V10

All the rest are girlie toys compared to these babies. Some of them have even occasionally been known to drive off-road but I think that is a myth.

i have a landrover. i dont go off road much. i bought it on impulse coz i think they are cozy. also i like the 'commanding' driving position and the rough and tumble of a beat up 4x4. its scruffy, but reliable type concept. to be honest i feel like a tit in it. its ok at night and if its cold. its a heavy thing on fuel, but i dont fly much.

by the way. i call it max. when we met. it was moyder.

A particular oddity is the BMW X5 which is a Range Rover type thing that costs about £50k...........

Even from BMW you can buy a cracker of a motor for £30k...eg 525 with leather seats etc

...and the 5 series is the best car in the world..........

4x4 drivers in London get up my nose - No objection to owners who live on a farm - Can't see any reason why you would wish to drive one around a built up city area.

To start with some 'think' they own the road, and in narrow streets when they drive towards you taking up half your side of the road due to the parked cars on either side,they expect you to move in between the parked cars to let them pass. No way will stop until they have to reverse, sometimes can be quite comical, to a space behind them, to let me on my way.

4x4 drivers can be bullies on the road in built up areas. Don't let them get away with it ;)

Going to buy a Landrover defender

1. because me and boyfriend don't really like fancy vehicles

2. they retain their value well

3. they last a lot longer than the ave vehicle

4. if I bang it, we can replace the body work ourselves

5. We believe in mad max, so we will be able to drive it over all the place when the rush to get out of the city and to the hills comes.

OK, I'll get my coat.

We have one 4x4 (a 97 Honda Passport). Our other car is a minivan. (how nerdy is it that not only do I drive a minivan, but I love that car?) Both cars are about the same as far as gas goes.

*MY* minivan is the nicer "car". As a rule my car is the "family car" and has always been the nicer car.

We have only had ithe van about a year. My husband and I did talk about an SUV, but I told him I have never felt the need, and why spend the extra 20K.

I know some rich people. In general they drive small SUVs, or plain cars like Honda Accords, Toyota Camarys etc. While they might buy them new, they tend to keep them for longer. Until dependability is an issue. It's the "I want to look rich" croud that is into the Big SUVs. They also buy a new one every 2-3 years. They can't really afford this, so they live on rice and beans. :P

It's the "I want to look rich" croud that is into the Big SUVs. They also buy a new one every 2-3 years. They can't really afford this, so they live on rice and beans. :P

Good point Karen. :)