House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHERWICK

Blink And You Miss Decades

Are you stuck in a rut doing the same job, living in the same place, seeing the same people.

The way your memory processes things is that if you do new things, time seems to have passed slower than if you do the same thing.

Are you stuck in a rut doing the same job, living in the same place, seeing the same people.

The way your memory processes things is that if you do new things, time seems to have passed slower than if you do the same thing.

It's age,everybody agrees.I think life is like leaping from a high building,you go faster and faster until you hit the deck.

It's age,everybody agrees.I think life is like leaping from a high building,you go faster and faster until you hit the deck.

You only go faster and faster till you reach terminal velocity.laugh.gif

It is due to the fact that your memory remembers it in that way (maybe also memory getting worse with age). But when you do and learn new things, the time seems to have passed slower than times in which you do the same thing.

It is due to the fact that your memory remembers it in that way (maybe also memory getting worse with age). But when you do and learn new things, the time seems to have passed slower than times in which you do the same thing.

I disagree. The more (new/different things) you do, the faster time seems to fly by IMHO.

I disagree. The more (new/different things) you do, the faster time seems to fly by IMHO.

Yes, that weeks holiday always seems to fly by...... ;)

The faster it goes by at the moment, but look back over the period of a few years (or decades) then it seems to have gone by more slowly as blackgoose correctly said. There is a great line about this in Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain, but I can't find it on the webs and my copy of the book is currently about 6000 miles away.

Guest eight

Yes, that weeks holiday always seems to fly by...... ;)

That's why I never go on holiday for less than a fortnight. It's counterproductive otherwise.

That's why I never go on holiday for less than a fortnight. It's counterproductive otherwise.

...the first two or three days you are settling in, finding out the ropes...two days of relaxation, then two days counting the days to go home......story of my life. ;)

The faster it goes by at the moment, but look back over the period of a few years (or decades) then it seems to have gone by more slowly as blackgoose correctly said. There is a great line about this in Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain, but I can't find it on the webs and my copy of the book is currently about 6000 miles away.

Sounds about right. Doing lots of new stuff means you don't notice the time passing, so it seems to go past quickly. Looking back on it there's lots to fill your memory, so it seems to have lasted a long time. It's the other way around if you're sitting around bored all day. Minutes ticking past like hours, but nothing to look back on. I think that the long-term perception of times past is more based on how many events have happened between then and now than the actual time.

On a week's holiday each day seems to go by quickly but half way through it the start of the holiday feels like quite a while ago, much more than it does half way through a week at work.

The best way to live a long life is to do plenty of new stuff as often as possible. Do little and you can live to 100 and feel like it was only yesterday that you were at school.

I vaguely remember the 80s, 90s and 00s whiz by...

This ties in neatly with my Wimbledon Yawn thread. The older you get the quicker time goes by because each year represents a smaller and smaller %age of your life. As a 5 year old turning 6, it took ages because it was a whole fifth of your life. Now you're well in your fifties each incremental increase get's quicker and quicker. Or something like that.

I'm sure there's a link between size and time too.

Ants versus elephants.

I always thought time and speed such as a 150 yr old tortoise vs a 9 yr old whippet but that doesn't seem to hold up:

timeb.png

...the first two or three days you are settling in, finding out the ropes...two days of relaxation, then two days counting the days to go home......story of my life. ;)

:lol::lol::lol: