House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Hot Sauce

just ordered me up a bottle of this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001PQTYN2/ref=oss_product

ghost chilli pepper

The Bhut Jolokia[1][2] (Assamese: ভূত জলকীয়া bhut jôlôkia; Bangla: নাগা মরিচ naga morich), as it is commonly known—also known variously by other names (see etymology section below) in its native region, sometimes Naga Jolokia—is a chili pepper formerly recognized by Guinness World Records as the hottest pepper in the world. The pepper is typically called the ghost chili or ghost pepper by U.S. media.[3][4][5]

amazon also sells the seeds if you fancy growing them, i think i'll try the sauce first before attempting them though incase i end up in a&e.

thought i'd post up for any hothead fans. B)

ghost chilli pepper

amazon also sells the seeds if you fancy growing them, i think i'll try the sauce first before attempting them though incase i end up in a&e.

thought i'd post up for any hothead fans. B)

It's very good. They sell it at Tesco as well.

Be warned, no more than a small drop for a large bowl of soup.

It's very good. They sell it at Tesco as well.

Be warned, no more than a small drop for a large bowl of soup.

bleeding tesco?

how much i just paid a tenner :lol:

just looked 6 quid :lol:

mind my nearest tesco is about 10 miles away so i don't mind that.

until they dump one on my doorstep which is impending, about 50 yards from the existing morrisons. :huh:

actually i may be wrongon that, 2010 threads i was reading.

oh well, bottle on it's way :unsure::)

Sorry to drop the Tezco bomb...

Anhoo, if you are like me and keep some bog roll in the freezer...

I buy from these guys.

http://www.scorchio.co.uk/

Who I consider to be about the best chilli shop I've come across.

Thanks for the link. Here's another:

http://www.coolchile.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=D1D&Category_Code=D1

Just tried cascabel chilis for first time - smokey!

i've just checked a few utoob vids and comments and stumbled upon blairs 16 reserve :lol:

10.3-16 million scoville units, pure capsicum. :o

seems to retail around £300 for a 2 ounce bottle. :lol:

i think i'll stick with the sauces though as i'd like to keep my eyesight.

16 Million Reserve

The strength of Blair's hottest product, "Blair's 16 Million Reserve", is 16 million Scoville units (Tabasco, in comparison, is 2,500 to 5,000 Scoville units). It contains only capsaicin crystals, and is the hottest possible capsaicin-based sauce. Only 999 bottles of "Blair's 16 Million Reserve" were produced, each one signed and numbered by the firm's founder, and have all been sold. "Blair's 16 Million Reserve" was awarded the Guinness World Record for the "World's Hottest" food product.

http://www.funkypepper.co.uk/BLAIR'S+COLLECTOR+SAUCES/Blair's+Reserve+6am+Signed+%252526+Numbered+-+%252523571.html

not sure if that is the stuff in that link though, product desc. and unit desc. differs. if they only produced 1k i can't see any being left for sale tbh.

Even the smallest amount of this Ghost sauce will make you feel like your face is melting off.

yeah, good luck with that :lol:

ghost chilli pepper

I have a bottle of the 2008 Special Reserve, which also has a ghost chilli pepper base. Although from what I can tell this new one is not as hot (also about a quarter of the price).

Was going to say I had seen it in Tesco's on Monday along with another "standard" Daves insanity sauce. I think it was just over a fiver.

Not so fond of hot sauces. I prefer to cook with fresh chillies. Nearest I come to a chilli sauce at home is when I prepare an infusion of chilli and garlic in olive oil, but that's not what any chilli-lover would call hot.

A while ago, our local greengrocer started selling Scotch Bonnets fresh. Not quite weapons-grade, but a member of the naga family of the hottest chillis, and thus substantially hotter than lesser varieties. I loved 'em, and took to using them regularly. Surprisingly they were easier to use than the more familiar little thai/african birds eye chillies, as the latter seem to survive numerous hand-washings and still risk hurting the eyes or other sensitive parts.

Then came a time when there was a display of sorry-looking scotch bonnets, wilting and moulding. Evidently they weren't selling. Soon they disappeared altogether, and I had to revert to birdseyes. OK, use enough of them and you get a hot meal, but it's not the same. I guess a chilli you can chew and swallow whole has lost some of its kick! :(

Would be great to find them again!

Would be great to find them again!

Sainsburys and Tesco do them, not all the time as I think they actually tend to go rather quickly. A friend and I at work had a chilli sauce contest last year and he managed to get hold of some Naga from Sainsbury's I have never seen them in my local one but he does live in Brixton so there is more of a market for them there.

Personally I have never found the birds eyes that hot (all relative) and they are not particularly nice to eat as there isn't a great deal of flesh so I tend to use Scotch Bonnet when I can get hold of them, which is more often than not.

Sainsburys and Tesco do them, not all the time as I think they actually tend to go rather quickly.

Alas, I have neither Sainsburys nor Tescos locally. A long way to go for such a little thing, and an uncertain prospect with it :(

Personally I have never found the birds eyes that hot (all relative) and they are not particularly nice to eat as there isn't a great deal of flesh so I tend to use Scotch Bonnet when I can get hold of them, which is more often than not.

The little Thai ones - around 100k scoville - are the hottest in widespread use, and were the hottest I'd been able to find until recently. But it takes half a dozen of them to make a hot curry or stir-fry, where just half a scotch bonnet would serve and add more flavour into the bargain.

In India some doctors consider eating of hot chillies as good for stomach and gut health re ulcers and helicobacter pyri (spelling).

I suffer from sinus problems and find that a super hot curry works wonders for a sinus headache. I have never been one for chilli sauce though.. what do you add it to? Soups, Mexivan dishes, chips?

TMT in food peasant mode.

Alas, I have neither Sainsburys nor Tescos locally. A long way to go for such a little thing, and an uncertain prospect with it :(

The little Thai ones - around 100k scoville - are the hottest in widespread use, and were the hottest I'd been able to find until recently. But it takes half a dozen of them to make a hot curry or stir-fry, where just half a scotch bonnet would serve and add more flavour into the bargain.

As I say all relative, of course they are of course hot but I'm so far up the scale these days that it's either a couple of Scotch bonnets in a stir fry or a few drops of the Special Reserve.

I got a bottle of that Ghost chilli sauce from Tescos too. Fantastically hot. Right on the edge of what I can bear.

I've found this place to be really good for interesting hot sauces - Hot Sauce Emporium

Bought my hot sauce loving friends various bottles from here at Christmas.

Check out the Mad Dog 357 Silver Collectors edition and the accompanying video.

I was in serious pain after trying this one. Not as bad as the guys in the video though....

Neil from the hippyseed company trying a Bhut Jolokia - I made a few chilli poppers with dorset naga chillies last year and shared them with a few brave (stupid) mates - ouch, changed my sense of taste for a day or so :huh:

I suffer from sinus problems and find that a super hot curry works wonders for a sinus headache. I have never been one for chilli sauce though.. what do you add it to? Soups, Mexivan dishes, chips?

Try hot & sour soup: chicken stock + vinegar, chili, garlic, spring onion + raw egg stirred in at the end. Bamboo shoots and water chestnuts add crunch. Great for sinuses.

Any chili-freak views on layers of heat? I'm planning a chili-con-carne using three different strengths and have no idea what I'm doing. Recipe here (uses oxtail instead of mince):

http://aroundbritainwithapaunch.blogspot.com/2011/03/chilli-con-oxtail.html

Neil from the hippyseed company trying a Bhut Jolokia - I made a few chilli poppers with dorset naga chillies last year and shared them with a few brave (stupid) mates - ouch, changed my sense of taste for a day or so :huh:

Sweet jebus. I'm in awe.

ISTR finding him eating a scotch bonnet, when they first put in an appearance locally. Didn't try it at home, though.

Poppers with a naga in? I think I might be foolish enough to try those. They certainly tone down 'normal' hot chillies to something much milder. Using nagas (in, um, moderation) should give them a kick!

I'm not a fan of insanely hot stuff, preferring middle of the road with a bit of flavour, but did once make a chili with a number of the Bhut Jolokia chilies.

The things are INSANELY hot!

Even after being cooked for about four hours and taking the actual flesh of the chilies out the pan of chili was the hottest thing I have ever tasted! Afterward I washed the chopping board with boiling water and the steam was like CS spray, the knife I used had been washed twice and still contained traces of it the next day which was equally as hot!

A few people were brave enough to sample a piece and it didn't go down well, one person did a whole one and disappeared for two hours 'alone time'!

If you've handled them be VERY careful which parts of your body you scratch!

On the subject of sauce I do like Cholula for everyday use. It's probably not even classed as a hot sauce but gives any cooked dishes, pizzas or sandwiches and nice little kick but not too silly.