House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pensive

New Ecommerce Business

Can anyone give me advice how to get my e-commerce website promoted. I've submitted it to search engines but nothing has happened. What else should I do? What's most cost effective?

Can anyone give me advice how to get my e-commerce website promoted. I've submitted it to search engines but nothing has happened. What else should I do? What's most cost effective?

It depends what your market is.

Online advertising may be a good idea, e.g. Google Adwords, Overture but if its a competitive area (e.g. insurance) you could be paying more than £1 per click.

My company pays approx 4-10p per click for the adverts. £200 a month and it is well worth it.

Other things you could do is adapt the website for high search engine listings. I only have a basic idea of how to do this, and companies promise the world that they can get you on the first page (e.g. itscoldoutside). But beware of these, they will only guarantee one of the many key words you mention, on one of many search engines.

You could also exchange links with other websites!

Thanks for that advice. I've read a bit about Google Adwords but I didn't find it very easy to understand. I need to be enlightened.

I've also heard that people are paid to click through listings with no intention of buying., though Adwords might not be affected by this. There are so many scams these days.

Guest consa

Whats the name of the website, I'll launch it for you if you want

also give me a title for it, and a description: (bear in mind this is what will appear in the search engines)

Title needs to be what people will search for ie:key words

try this for the best key words: http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

ensure your metatags are in place and the top one matches your title keyword.

ensure your keywords are also included in some text on your homepage.

ps: I deliberately don't follow all the above rules for my website to avoid upsetting people

;)

Thanks for your offer Consa.

The web address is www.vessilabrako.co.uk

I'm struggling with key words. If I put Turkish homeware, cushions, runners etc its probably too specific.

If I leave out "Turkish" its too general. What do you think?

I don't know if you've tried it but you really need to be on ebay selling your stuff on there and then directing potential customers to your site to buy more things.

Just had a look at your site, good easy layout, professional looking. However I suggest you divide it into products rather than by collection as it is more user friendly & also more search engine friendly eg napkins,tablecloths etc .Have the generic product name in that pages title tag.

Not only do you need key words, but you also need to put the key words into articals that you need to write.

Also add a links page. The links should be related, but not your competition. For example, travel sights to Trukey. Then e-mail them and ask them to back link to your site. Google likes it when you link to them, and they link back.

Put your stuff on e-bay, and be sure to link to your web site.

Good luck.

Karen

UnsureFTB, great minds think alike.

Guest consa
Thanks for your offer Consa.

The web address is www.vessilabrako.co.uk

I'm struggling with key words. If I put Turkish homeware, cushions, runners etc its probably too specific.

If I leave out "Turkish" its too general. What do you think?

Keywords/metatags:

Turkish furnishings

turkish furniture

turkish homeware

turkish cushions

homeware

cushions

runners

etc................maybe your list to follow

Use as many top keywords as you can "once only" in your front page description.

ensure metatags are embedded into your html code as necessary.

consider registering domain www.turkishfurnishings.co.uk and have this as your main domain.

how have you promoted it ? or have you not promoted it? if you have when did you promote it?

These are the ones you are using at the moment:

vessila

brako

U.K.

home furnishings

soft

traditional

turkish

collection

craftmanship

design

contemporary

cushions

runners

tablecloths

suzani

embroidery

moire

designer

homeware

cushion covers

abani

dalya

iilyada

mersavi

sehzade

tantana

xanthos

assos

talaz

I have also run a report on your site, it is not showing anywhere worthy.

Before launching it for you properly we need to get everything in place correctly, that will be your job!

Thanks Consa. A couple of questions for you. I've altered the keywords as suggested. Do I need to do that on the front page only or on every page? When you talk about the description on the front page do you mean within the meta tag description or the text on the homepage? No I haven't promoted it yet as that's where I've become a bit stuck.

I can't really change the domain name now as i've given out a lot of cards etc. with the present domain name. presumaby what I've changed in the keywords meta tags will come up on the search engines with our domain name?

I submitted the site at this address, http://www.submitcorner.com/Guide/Meta/description.shtml/ two weeks ago to a number of engines but not sure what has happened as I haven't had any clarification of submission emails.

Having changed the tags I will upload again. Do I need to do anything else before you launch it? Can youi let me know *how* you launch it so I understand the process next time?

Thanks, I really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks for that advice. I've read a bit about Google Adwords but I didn't find it very easy to understand. I need to be enlightened.

I've also heard that people are paid to click through listings with no intention of buying., though Adwords might not be affected by this. There are so many scams these days.

Adwords would probably be quite useful for market specifc companies such as yours. Think from the customer point of view: What key words would they search for? For example "Turkish furnishings".

If you were to use that as a key word, you could get away with 4p per click, as they are few adverts under that search. But people will generally look from the top downwards, so if you wanted to be at the top you would need to pay more per click. E.g. M&S are listed, and i'm sure their budget is more than yours, so it would be expensive to compete against them.

Remember you only enter a maximum bid per click, so if you entered £1 per click and the second highest was 50p per click, you would pay 51p per click. Also, you set a daily limit, for our company it is £3 per advert (we have many different campaings), and if this allows the advert to be listed for half a day (e.g. halfway though the day you spend your £3) your advert would averagely appear 50% of the time.

Would you like any more info? I'm not too sure on website listing, Consa seems to know more...

Consa, have you any more pointers? What software do you use for finding the listings in search engines? Also how do you 'launch' a website (or do you mean submitting it to search engines)?

:) Jason

Guest consa

Thanks Consa. A couple of questions for you. I've altered the keywords as suggested. Do I need to do that on the front page only or on every page? When you talk about the description on the front page do you mean within the meta tag description or the text on the homepage? No I haven't promoted it yet as that's where I've become a bit stuck.

OK, the description in the text is what most of the engines will see, also use your top keywords in the metatag description. Do this and let me know cos I can check it is correct prior to launch.

I can't really change the domain name now as i've given out a lot of cards etc. with the present domain name. presumaby what I've changed in the keywords meta tags will come up on the search engines with our domain name?

Thats ok, it just would get up the rankings quicker with a matching domain name, you could always register another domain name and point it to yours, everything helps.

I submitted the site at this address, http://www.submitcorner.com/Guide/Meta/description.shtml/ two weeks ago to a number of engines but not sure what has happened as I haven't had any clarification of submission emails.

Don't worry about that, give me your e-mail address for the submission, not all engines will send confirmations. Also engines can take quite a while to crawl your page and put you in their database

Having changed the tags I will upload again. Do I need to do anything else before you launch it? Can youi let me know *how* you launch it so I understand the process next time?

Again I will drag the tags/description out of your website prior to submitting it. I have a top of the range submission programme to submit websites to the major engines, it also reports on your site, optimizes your pages and loads of other stuff, after launching it I will schedule it to launch every month for 6 months.

I'll give it a go for you, as always there are no guarantees to your position on the engines, google prefers links in to your site from other sites.

Guest consa
Consa, have you any more pointers? What software do you use for finding the listings in search engines? Also how do you 'launch' a website (or do you mean submitting it to search engines)?

:) Jason

Can youi let me know *how* you launch it so I understand the process next time?

http://www.theshops.co.uk/webposition/

I would call it more of a launching!

You can download a free version but are restricted to three engines and limited on no. of url's to submit, I only use the top of the range version.

OK, the description in the text is what most of the engines will see, also use your top keywords in the metatag description. Do this and let me know cos I can check it is correct prior to launch.

Thats ok, it just would get up the rankings quicker with a matching domain name, you could always register another domain name and point it to yours, everything helps.

Don't worry about that, give me your e-mail address for the submission, not all engines will send confirmations. Also engines can take quite a while to crawl your page and put you in their database

Again I will drag the tags/description out of your website prior to submitting it. I have a top of the range submission programme to submit websites to the major engines, it also reports on your site, optimizes your pages and loads of other stuff, after launching it I will schedule it to launch every month for 6 months.

I'll give it a go for you, as always there are no guarantees to your position on the engines, google prefers links in to your site from other sites.

Hi Consa, I have uploaded the index page with the suggested alterations to the metatags and the front page text.

Email address is hakiki@vessilabrako.co.uk

I have added one affiliated link and will continue to add more.

Thanks again for all your help. Let me know if I need to make any more changes.

Guest consa

OK all done, you need to confirm a couple that I have forwarded to you, not all of them!!

I have done the main ones which take between 2 and 6 weeks.

all your title and description, tags were OK.

now the waiting game :)

It has been submitted to approx 170 search engines, as it get listed the others will find it and cross reference to themselves, this is the web that will be created.

Guest Riser

Also Check out Froogle

www.froogle.co.uk

Its run by google and its free !!

Register with them then create a spreadsheet containing links to your products

Upload your products in a csv file - examples given and Bobs your uncle you should get a few leads

B)

Guest consa

her is some of my results:

no.5 from 2.46 million

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=fp-ta...rash&meta=vc%3D

No. 4 from ????

http://uk.altavista.com/web/results?itag=o...ash&kgs=0&kls=0

No. 1 from 170K

http://web.uk.ask.com/web?q=global+house+p...te=0&qsrc=1&o=0

No. 3,4,5,6 from ?????

http://search.msn.co.uk/results.aspx?FORM=...use+price+crash

No. 1 from 170K

http://s.teoma.com/search?q=global+house+p...x=21&Search.y=7

I could go on all afternoon. :rolleyes:

Note that my search phrase correlates with my domain name, hence higher ranking. also my website consists of two websites joined together, the forum is separate from the main site and hosted seperately, this does make my rankings somewhat lower than they should be, also I have no description on my homepage to boost the ranking, the blog is not seen by the search engines, neither is the title as this is a picture, you see so really I should make a nice description with the title, put some more incoming links in place tune it up a bit etc..... just too lazy I guess

:lol::lol::lol: will get around to it

OK all done, you need to confirm a couple that I have forwarded to you, not all of them!!

I have done the main ones which take between 2 and 6 weeks.

all your title and description, tags were OK.

now the waiting game :)

It has been submitted to approx 170 search engines, as it get listed the others will find it and cross reference to themselves, this is the web that will be created.

Brilliant, thank you so much. I'm really grateful. I'll let you know how it goes

Guest consa

Pensive

You have done something

this is what your title now reads:

Vessila & Brako UK: Quality Turkish home furnishings - Buy online tableware, runners, throws, cushions, etc.

it should be:

Vessila & Brako UK: Quality Turkish home furnishings - Buy online tableware, runners, throws, cushions, etc.

YOU MUST CHECK THIS AND CHANGE IT FAST!!

if anyone spots pensive online-please alert him/her to this post, thanks in advance.

Pensive

You have done something

this is what your title now reads:

it should be:

YOU MUST CHECK THIS AND CHANGE IT FAST!!

if anyone spots pensive online-please alert him/her to this post, thanks in advance.

This is Pensive's daughter, she is on holiday in Greece at the moment so I'm checking her e mails while she is away. I will let her know the problem as soon as she is back. Thanks.

Guest consa

This is Pensive's daughter, she is on holiday in Greece at the moment so I'm checking her e mails while she is away. I will let her know the problem as soon as she is back. Thanks.

OK it shouldn't be too serious.