House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Music Experts - Life On Mars One Key Or Two?

Any musos around who know their stuff?

The key signature to Life On Mars (Bowie) appears to be Bbmaj/Gm. To my ears the guitar solo is in one key? Is the solo in the same key as the rest of the song, or does it change?

I'm being told the first parts of the my solo are out of key. I learnt the solo from tab, not being hugely theory orientated. The tab stays in the same key throughout.

I read recently about Strawberry Fields Forever - George Martin rates it his favourite Beatles song. They had a bitch of a time splicing two different versions into the album version, and had to play with pitch and temp, keys all over the place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Fields_Forever#Composition

Here's a great rough version, epic drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9s1I1TZqJg

Yeah it's me haha. I used a Guitarpro transcription actually, which I guess must be inaccurate, though most of it sounds precise to me personally. My timing certainly isn't spot on, but the notes themselves didn't seem way off?

I think the initial phrases of the solo are double-tracked, with two guitars playing different notes. Are there any specific phrases that sound wrong to you?

ok mystery solved. Upon closer study I can see that darned kid was correct. The initial lick is right, but transposed up. God knows why I did that. I think it probably slipped through because when you're not playing to a backing track, you really need good ears. It's also because I suck.

Thanks for checking it out anyway. I'll have to redo the video ..... :rolleyes:

It's a Line 6 POD. I used to swear by Zoom, but really the POD does have some very authentic sounding patches. I just plugged it straight into the soundcard of course.

It's a Line 6 POD. I used to swear by Zoom, but really the POD does have some very authentic sounding patches. I just plugged it straight into the soundcard of course.

OK thanks. I've had one of those before, with my Variax plugged in. It never sounded that good though.

OK thanks. I've had one of those before, with my Variax plugged in. It never sounded that good though.

Well remember the guitar plays the biggest part. It's hard to make a Les Paul Custom sound bad. I just sold my electric Variax actually. It was very versatile, great for recording, but no single sound blew me away. You can't beat a very well made vintage guitar for tone. I'm a big fan of the Variax nylon though. That truly sounds beautiful, to my ears anyway.

Perhaps it's the dissonance, and the floating between b flat major/g minor?

Bowie is a musical genius and has a great tonal range in his voice, which he is playing against the chords.

But I'm no expert musically.

Bowie is a musical genius and has a great tonal range in his voice

:lol:

No, he wasn't a musical genius.

Mick Ronson did most of his arrangements. Give him the credit for the music side.

Without him, Bowie would just have been another busker.

:lol:

No, he wasn't a musical genius.

Mick Ronson did most of his arrangements. Give him the credit for the music side.

Without him, Bowie would just have been another busker.

That's pretty harsh.

It takes two to tango.

This the same Ronson who went on to do 'Ballroom Blitz'?

I don't think so, :unsure: unless he played on it as a session man job?

He wasn't in the Sweet was he?

Although he did have long blond hair and wore a gold jump suit.

He was with Mott for a while, excellent group.

No, Ronson was never in The Sweet :D Perish the thought! That reminds me of the time I found myself sitting at a pub table with the real guitar player from The Sweet. He seemed like a nice enough guy to be fair.

Personally I do think Bowie was a genius, with or without Ronson. But Ronson's guitar work was outstanding, and Bowie was very lucky to find him. Bowie was also very lucky to work with others such as Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Robert Fripp.

I view Mick Ronson as an overlooked guitar hero really, as well as arranger. Such a shame he died aged only 46.

The very very underrated Mick Ronson.

He was responsible for much of Lou Reeds best album - Transformer. See link.

OK, Bowie got co producer credit - he was just hanging out in Berlin posing.

I was watching BBC Glasto coverage tonight and Morrissey did Satellite of Love - that piano bit lives on. ( Mick was classically trained anyway - not just a guitar strummer)

http://en.wikipedia....mer_%28album%29