House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Riser

Bbc Northwest Tonight Manchester Up 400%

Guest Riser

Could not believe the blatent spin even from the BBC, this was the worst I have seen yet.!

Trailed before main BBC news House prices in Manchester up 400% since 1996

Went on to say despite reports of a slump in other areas no sign of slump in manchester and most other areas in the region

Interviwed two estate agents one saying property market was thriving, another saying he expected pices to go up 2-3% for the next few years at least

What was the point of the article ? Nothing but estate agent views expressed it was a discrace the BBC should be better than this, it just shows todays "House Price Slump" headline has hit a few raw nerves

B)

Edited by Riser

Could not believe the blatent spin even from the BBC, this was the worst I have seen yet.!

Went on to say despite reports of a slump in other areas no sign of slump in manchester and most other areas in the region

Interviwed two estate agents one saying property market was thriving, another saying he expected pices to go up 2-3% for the next few years at least

What was the point of the article ? Nothing but estate agent views expressed it was a discrace the BBC should be better than this, it just shows todays "House Price Slump" headline has hit a few raw nerves

B)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

"At least 2/3% in the next few years" thats not growth, thats not even a mild swelling.

A thriving market should be 10% above inflation, 2% is -2% in real terms, where did they get those goons from.

I just had a rant on this in the Manchester region thread http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...pic=8848&st=240

quoted below

"On the North West part of the BBC 10 O'clock news thay just had some megga ramping of Manchester house sales /prices, saying prices had gone up 400%, Interviewing with 2 Ea's, usual sickening stuff.

They said 'look the skyline still has loads of building cranes'

Ok, we've seen this before, but it comforted me that it had an air of VI desperation & panic.

One young Ea said prices had gone up 4% this year. I'll fire the usual complaint off to the bbc for what good it will do, as it seemed a time warp advert for Ea's ramp lies of ommission with no one putting the other side of the story. "

Reply - QUOTE(apollo1966 @ Sep 30 2005, 11:30 PM)

I think the 400% story related to the Nationwide report http://www.nationwide.co.uk/hpi/historical/CMQPRQ305.pdf see page 6

And the 4% up this year, that concurs with Land Registry. Infact 4% sounds conservative

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d...ces/html/bn.stm

don't forget that the Land Registry is based on actual real sales recorded by deeds being deposited after completion of sales, so it's not speculation, just real data. I don't mean to dampen spirits for those hoping for a crash, but truely there is no sign of it here, and price drops in better areas of Manc are non existent with the exception of large detached properties in posh parts of Trafford borough and parts of city centre with new build BTL flats."

My Reply -

"I had a quick look on the BBc site news site & it may be here somewhere, but my r/player's not working right, so couldn't check. http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/england/int/ne/nw/...ews_console.stm or http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/

It appeared like they were referring to an interviewed lady who's sold her house this year, having bought in 1995, & price had gone up 400%, but I may have misread it as they said something about Manc. having done better than other areas.

It was a bit weird at the beginning as it almost appeared like they were celebrating that this woman had sold her house!

The land registries 3 months behind though isn't it ? so it only relaible so far, they said 4.6% i think. What gets my goat is the distortion, as that must be down from a 20%+ rise a year before. At least some academic could make an appearance at least to give a more balanced picture.

IMO, Manchester is going to be a Neg equity/ Repo bloodbath with so many empty 'Yuppet' low grade built shoe boxes, now the economies tanking. It looked rough 6 months ago when I visited, as there were so many BTL city centre flats. Won't these have swamped the place rather a lot driving rents down ?

I'm down ther road in Chester & i've seen some similar major delay tactics in finishing the yuppet flats on the canal, most likely praying for the spring/ summer / haloween bounce"

either way, at least housing was an issue. i rather see a local news story about being priced out.

better than not talking about housing at all. plus seeing that prices have risen 400% to me means there is little scope for much more.

2-3% growth over 3 years is flatlining. the ea was a typical ea interview. not qualified or suitably experienced at about 22 years old with a harry hill shirt on. that ea is a classic binge drinker. i bet you can see him later tonight on boozed up britain taking on coppers, bouncers and cameramen.

i think gordon burns expressed dignity.

I believe the 400% is distorted because a lot of wasteland or run down areas were bought for buttons and renovated into "luxury apartments" therefore a massive price hike. We must not lose view of the fact that EA's are still in denial and trying to ramp prices up ALL the time. I'm with R_F_D on this - a 22 y.o. salesman who does not even know the meaning of life. This is not SPIN it's ignorance.

But, why oh why oh why do they only get the views of EA's? Surely someone from the planning office in Manchester is far more qualified to give a reason for these figures (which I do not doubt)? But as R_F_D says "its better to be talking about it than not at all" - I think this will shock more people and substanciate the view that prices are a joke.

Edited by teddyboy

Guest pioneer31

B)

I wouldn't take too much notice of NorthWest Tonight. A couple of months ago they 'proved' that the GCSE is just as tough as an O level. They sat some students down and they sat two papers in Maths getting roughly the same result.

ITN ran a test days earlier showing that A levels today aren't up to old standards by getting some A level students to take a 1987 paper.

Coming from a family of lecturers and having spent far too long in education myself, I can say without hesistation that ITN were right and BBC were talking utter bull****.

I wouldn't take too much notice of NorthWest Tonight. A couple of months ago they 'proved' that the GCSE is just as tough as an O level. They sat some students down and they sat two papers in Maths getting roughly the same result.

ITN ran a test days earlier showing that A levels today aren't up to old standards by getting some A level students to take a 1987 paper.

Coming from a family of lecturers and having spent far too long in education myself, I can say without hesistation that ITN were right and BBC were talking utter bull****.

I totally agree, I sat 87' A-level and got straight A's Maths, Physicsl, Further Maths, I now interview folks with 3/4 A's and degrees who think Calculus is a city in Italy, this country is seriuosly going down the sh1tter, god help us.

Edited by Dicky

I totally agree, I sat 87' A-level and got straight A's Maths, Physicsl, Further Maths, I now interview folks with 3/4 A's and degrees who think Calculus is a city in Italy, this country is seriuosly going down the sh1tter, god help us.

LOL , nothing like a good laugh to start the day , cheers Dicky.

Dames :D

Guest Riser
I think the NW report will just make the majority homeowners (if you use dids village or cheadle on upmystreet you get high home ownership, instead of the medium of west dids/withington, so they) dig their heels in even more!

Many people in the North have never experienced a real crash, those that dig their heels in will be the ones who will lose most as the market falls.

During the 1990 bubble price rises in the North lagged behind the national trend by around 18 months, they had only reached 30% above the regional average before the national crash terminated the local boom prematurely resulting in a slow decline with prices eroded by inflation.

This time is very different prices in the North have shot up with the National trend and have reached a massive 50% over the long term regional average price. The crash will be hard and fast, people in the North will not know what hit them this time around.

North will be hit hard this time

Nationwide SELL signal as HPI goes negative Q3 2005

Edited by Riser

i agree with riser on that.

in the nw they try and copy the housing hype of the south in not ideal towns like leyland, chorley and bolton. and they get priced up like its a leafy village in surrey. only everyones still on bolton wages and there is no vicar on a bicycle riding about lifting his hat at passers by. we just get people like mad dog maguie from northern ireland stirring up local trouble with a too wide chest and a crowd of nutmeg flag waving supporters....and the bmp ect.

Here is the umystreet report on my neighborhood (West Didsbury/Withington border)

My neighbours

Neighbourhood profile

Demographic and housing overview

Often, many of the people who live in this sort of postcode will be well-off professionals living in larger houses and converted flats.. These are known as type 13 in the ACORN classification and 0.87% of the UK’s population live in this type.

Where is this neighbourhood found?

Neighbourhoods fitting this profile are found in many urban areas of the UK, but particularly in London (Kensington and Chelsea, Wandsworth, Ealing, Richmond-upon-Thames and Fulham). Edinburgh and university towns such as Durham, Oxford and Cambridge als

Here is an overview of the likely preferences and features of your neighbourhood:

Family income Very high

Interest in current affairs Very high

Housing - with mortgage Medium

Educated - to degree Very high

Couples with children High

Have satellite TV Low

I understand that these Acorn quotes can be quite parochial. As a matter of interest I entered my old post code in West Didsbury (M20 4ZE) which is classic heart of West Didsbury between Palatine and Burton Roads, close to Lapwing Lane (a good distance south of Withington "village"), and got the following, which is a little different from the nearby area in which apollo is lucky enough to live:

University towns such as Oxford, Cambridge and Edinburgh are the main geographical locations for these types, which are also found in places such as Brighton, Plymouth and Dundee.

Here is an overview of the likely preferences and features of your neighbourhood:

Family income Medium

Interest in current affairs High

Housing - with mortgage Low

Educated - to degree High

Couples with children Low

Have satellite TV Low

Edited by mxs

Guest pioneer31
i agree with riser on that.

in the nw they try and copy the housing hype of the south in not ideal towns like leyland, chorley and bolton. and they get priced up like its a leafy village in surrey. only everyones still on bolton wages and there is no vicar on a bicycle riding about lifting his hat at passers by. we just get people like mad dog maguie from northern ireland stirring up local trouble with a too wide chest and a crowd of nutmeg flag waving supporters....and the bmp ect.

No vicar on a bicycle but as a replacement you do get a hundred million fat, dumpy, chav mums pushing prams of three screaming mini-chavs, whilst conducting a heated discussion with their ape-like partner whose vocabulary is limited to f***, c*** and t***.

Edited by pioneer31

I can concur with the view about large detached in the richer suburbs of Greater Manchester. For instance, in Bramhall (Stockport borough), a neighbour put his house (huge detached) on the market last year for £600K. Took it off for a bit because his situation changed, but now it's back on for £525K. Neighbour of a friend put his house on at £725K for a period of a year, now reduced by £100K. No movement yet.

These reductions are going to pressurise further down the value chain, so if this carries on, Bramhall will start taking from Cheadle Hulme / Cheadle and in turn .... Didsbury.

Historically, Didsbury (although it's nice) has long since had its crown stolen as the 'rich boy pads' of the Greater Manchester area now extend south. Popularity in Didsbury now, might just be Dr Bubb's 'flight for quality', as it's the cheapest place that's still 'quality'.

Edited by megaflop