House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Euro Flying Against Yen And $ As Crisis Deepens

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110621-700810.html

By Andrew "Andy" Monahan
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
TOKYO (Dow Jones)--The euro rose modestly against the dollar and yen in Asia Tuesday as concerns over Greek debt ebbed slightly, but the common currency remained vulnerable ahead of a vote of confidence for Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou later in the day.

Contrarian forces still strong. Its all contained...........again.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-21/lira-strengthens-on-easing-greek-concerns-bond-yields-retreat.html

The lira gained after comments by Luxembourg’s Jean-Claude Juncker soothed concern that Greece is bound for a default and yields fell on the speculation the central bank will keep interest rates at record low this month.

Italy must have done the switcheroo to the Lira overnight. :D

Another flash in the pan panic--all contained, nothing more to see.................................

Title of thread

Quote from article

:rolleyes:

"Flying" is a euphemism for not crashing as it should given the state of the EZ. I suppose I could have said "Floating" which suggests not sinking? Or how about "climbing" instead of "falling."

On balance, I prefer "flying" to "floating" or "climbing" but thats just a MOO.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110621-700810.html

By Andrew "Andy" Monahan
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
TOKYO (Dow Jones)--The euro rose modestly against the dollar and yen in Asia Tuesday as concerns over Greek debt ebbed slightly, but the common currency remained vulnerable ahead of a vote of confidence for Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou later in the day.

This after 3 days when € went from 1.4070 to 1.4350 (as I type). Hardly € remaining vulnerable ahead of confidence vote.

However, its all ultra short term. As we have agreed previously RB $ is bottoming (has bottomed) and will strengthen sharply this Summer/Autumn.

Certainly, intermediate term (and probably LT) € is toast.

However, most currencies are toast (except perhaps Krona and whatever they have in Iceland).

"Flying" is a euphemism for not crashing as it should given the state of the EZ. I suppose I could have said "Floating" which suggests not sinking? Or how about "climbing" instead of "falling."

Perhaps the Euro is 'waving' at the Yen and $, or maybe 'drowning'.

Is it not possible that, despite its internal difficulties, the Euro is maintaining its value better than other currencies simply because the Eurozone as a whole is not running a massive trade deficit, unlike certain other countries?

Okey dokey. I think we agree it is toast long term :)

This after 3 days when € went from 1.4070 to 1.4350 (as I type). Hardly € remaining vulnerable ahead of confidence vote.

However, its all ultra short term. As we have agreed previously RB $ is bottoming (has bottomed) and will strengthen sharply this Summer/Autumn.

Certainly, intermediate term (and probably LT) € is toast.

However, most currencies are toast (except perhaps Krona and whatever they have in Iceland).

I'd go with that. The EURUSD high for the year is in, IMHO.

Is it not possible that, despite its internal difficulties, the Euro is maintaining its value better than other currencies simply because the Eurozone as a whole is not running a massive trade deficit, unlike certain other countries?

I'd imagine the highest interest rate is currently offsetting the whole massive bankruptcy thing, as the bankruptcy thing hasn't happened. When it does, we'll be off to the races.

It's a tough choice as to which ugly sister one takes to the ball these days, Miss Yen, Miss Euro, Miss Pound or Miss Dollar.

They all have big feet, a hairy chest and the body of a walrus.

Miss Gold on the other hand has curves in all the right places and shines like no other :lol:

It's a tough choice as to which ugly sister one takes to the ball these days, Miss Yen, Miss Euro, Miss Pound or Miss Dollar.

They all have big feet, a hairy chest and the body of a walrus.

Miss Gold on the other hand has curves in all the right places and shines like no other :lol:

Miss Euro may not be the best looker and is prone to schizophrenic episodes, but she does at least pay her way.

The markets know that the end game is that the PIIGS will have to leave the Euro and that the currency will be comprised of a small block of relatively successful nations with trade surpluses and relatively small sovereign debts.

After the PIIGS have gone the Euro will probably trade at around $2+ and £1.20+.