House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Eight Million Gallons Of Water Drained From Reservoir After Man Urinates In It

Those wacky Yanks!

Man urinates 6 to 8 ounces of urine into US reservoir and the Yanks empty all 8 million gallons of it because it is now polluted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8582593/Eight-million-gallons-of-water-drained-from-reservoir-after-man-urinates-in-it.html

What about all the animals who wee, cr*p and die on the banks of the reservoir? What about birds flying overhead who poop into it? What about all the water creatures such as fish who die and rot in there?

This story makes no sense.

Is this all Al Qaeda needs to do - go around the US p*ssing in their water supply.

The Americans really do take the p1$$ sometimes

What will they do when they find out that "Bears $hit in the woods"?

I guess you could calculate how much bird poo lands in it from it's surface area too. Reservoirs are not supposed to be sterile, they hold water before it gets purified.

Only one way to settle this:

He should be forced to drink a gallon from that water tank.

(This dispute resolution was brought to you by the Department of Ironic Punishment.)

I hope they sent somebody to scrub the rocks on the reservoir bottom with bleach, otherwise there might be a few lingering pee molecules when they fill it back up.

That's what happens when you have people in charge who don't really understand things. It is a metaphor for the entire political and financial system. Indeed the human condition.

+1, although I'd add that all too often the decision is supported by lots of other people who also don't understand things.

When I were a lad, our science teacher took us to a reservoir to get water samples to test - we all commented how shitty the water was - which led to a rant about it being an ecosystem of life blah blah..

All the water is treated before use, so I struggle to believe if the article is true. If it is, the person who emptied it should be fired.

I hate the Yanks....They're a bunch of retards.

That's all that needs to be said really.

The Indian PM Nehru reputedly drank a glass of his own urine daily.

Indians are obviously made of sterner stuff.

Exactly. (Let's hope no squeamish homeopaths are involved it it might need to be refilled and emptied an infinite number of times!)

I think you8'll find that that will only make the homeopathic effect infinitely strong. :lol::rolleyes:

Anyone here from near our river Piddle[1]? What happens when you get 'merkin visitors?

[1] Any of them - I believe there are several in England - the Dorset one is surrounded by the most splendidly-named villages, while Worcestershire's has a brewery that makes a decent pint of piddle ;)

Anyone here from near our river Piddle[1]? What happens when you get 'merkin visitors?

[1] Any of them - I believe there are several in England - the Dorset one is surrounded by the most splendidly-named villages, while Worcestershire's has a brewery that makes a decent pint of piddle ;)

Hey....I'm just up the road mate. It's been the focus of sniggering and jokes for centuries.

Man urinates 6 to 8 ounces of urine into US reservoir and the Yanks empty all 8 million gallons of it because it is now polluted.

This story makes no sense.

Is this all Al Qaeda needs to do - go around the US p*ssing in their water supply.

8 million (US) gallons is a tiny amount compared with the size of the reservoir pictured - they didn't drain the reservoir, just, it seems, took a bit out as a gesture.

(according to my calculations, it's roughly a 31m x 31m x 31m lump of water.) That's why it makes no sense.

Re: Al Queda. Yes, water would be an easy and devastating target. I used to work in the water industry - there is a surprising amount of security at waterworks and around service reservoirs (water towers and the like). Also, a lot of emergency planning of alternative supplies, how to shut down reservoirs etc. However water mains are everywhere and impossible to police.

An anecdote I was once told in Belfast when I asked if the IRA had ever targeted the water supply system was that early in the troubles, yes they had. But the water mains supply all sides - they don't have green pipes and orange pipes. So when the water was cut off in the republican areas, various Mrs IRAs had a strong word with various Mr IRAs and there was then a tacit agreement that the water would be left alone be all sides.

Y

Doesn't the Thames water have the reputation of having been drunk three times by the time it get out of the estuary?

Second thoughts: what does this say for swimming pools? Have they all been emptied too?

I think yokel is right 8M gallons is a trivial amount ... I'd prefer it in swiming pool type

sizes .... 8M galls = 40 ML , 1000 L = 1m^3 -> 40M m^3 ->

2m deep x 20 m wide , x 100m long ,

(which is maybe the size of an olympic swimming pool?) , and that reservoir looks a

tad bigger than that .

cheers

rockhopper

Doesn't the Thames water have the reputation of having been drunk three times by the time it get out of the estuary?

Second thoughts: what does this say for swimming pools? Have they all been emptied too?

Most the crud floats in the top two inches of water - you know the stuff you scoop up as you do breast stroke down the pool :lol:

I guess you could calculate how much bird poo lands in it from it's surface area too. Reservoirs are not supposed to be sterile, they hold water before it gets purified.

If you multiply it up from the amount they drop on my car it will be bucketloads.