House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

southmartin

Freeview Pvr

I recently bought a new TV with freeview HD built in.. however at the moment i have Sky.

Thing is, I never watch it - damn thing's always on cbeebies and so i only ever record a few things and watch at leisure. Therefore was thinking of switching to use the normal aerial and using freeview - but i would miss the recording features of sky+

So, can anyone recommend a PVR that will record freeview, and be able to pause/record live tv etc?

I got an old Digifusion...I suspect you can pick um up for next to nothing on fleabay...Seems to do the job...

I had a Humax 9200T and it was fantastic. My mate has it and its still going strong

i only changed it for a PS3 and playTV which is not as feature rich as the humax but gave me a blu ray player, a streaming services and a games machine and more.

As you have a Sky dish i would look at FreeSat, you can get a twin tuner freesat recorder with fteeview, loads of kn demand stuff and a blu ray player built in. Again humax would be a good choice but i will be buying panasonic for the viera cast as you get sreaming eurosport for free

Humax 9200T - getting quite old now - brilliant, doesn't get used much by me any more bt does by the rest of the family.

Humax Foxsat HDR.

I had Sky for over twenty years. A couple of years ago I outed it in favour of Freesat and LoveFilm £18 per month postal movie package, I can have three BluRays (or DVDs) at home at any time. Far better choice of films than Sky Movies and under half the price :).

In my opinion, the only argument for staying with Sky would be football, which I detest.

I've found Humax PVRs to be good value and very reliable.

Yes Humax PVR here too. When it first came out though it was just Freeview HD. Now it will accept a USB external hard drive to record. It also plugs into your network and will stream from a Windows PC (not tried it with anything else).

I've got a Humax 9300T but htey're not the perfect devices everyone claims they are. Mine is particularly peculiar about about pausing live TV.

I've got a Humax 9300T but htey're not the perfect devices everyone claims they are. Mine is particularly peculiar about about pausing live TV.

Not had that problem, though its "forgotten" its connected to an external USB hard drive on a few occassions.

There was talk (somewhere) of it operating as a server, therefore streaming to devices rather than being merely . client. Not sure where I read that now,

i have a Sony combined freeview PVR and DVD player. All the toys I could ever want in one box. Except that there's never anything fecking on the TV to watch or record or pause live TV for..... No Sky for me btw

What is this humax of which everyone speaketh on this thread? Never heard of it.

What is this humax of which everyone speaketh on this thread? Never heard of it.

Its alien tech from Roswell, but don't tell anyone! smile.gif

Humax one is great.... no HD signal here yet so can't comment on that.

It has a ethernet connection, usb port and ftp server. If you want to ftp stuff you recorded you need to copy it to a usb flash drive first (plug one into the box's socket), otherwise

it is scrambled. Silly really. Not too much hassle though.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_stb_terrestrial_hdrfoxt2.aspx

I got the 1TB version.

videolan.org will play the files.

Not had that problem, though its "forgotten" its connected to an external USB hard drive on a few occassions.

There was talk (somewhere) of it operating as a server, therefore streaming to devices rather than being merely . client. Not sure where I read that now,

It would seem that mine has acorrupted buffer that may need a complete format to restore, cripes.

lots of people rave about them. I didn't buy one and like you got a Sony DVD/hdd pvr - has the advantage of being able to record from a scart input unlike the humax pvrs.

I've got a dual TV recorder in my old PC, running windows media centre 2005 - not only has it got all the TV stuff, it's got all my music, videos etc etc. I everyone who watches it thinks its great, the media guide also records stuff you forget about - e.g. series link say, top gear (new showings) and it will forever record top gear for years ahead.

I will get an HD PVR when HD Freeview comes out in 2012.