House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CS111

Is This Totally Crazy?

There is a twist to this.

In a sentence. Ive fell in love with a house and have done for 2-3 months. (ive been looking going on 12-18 months)

Its the only house we would be prepared to move into and as per previous topic, i am a cash buyer

The house fits all out needs perfectly, perfect country setting, set on a 1 acre site, really nice house.

I can buy the house for cash now at just a smidge over RTV

Heres the twist

Its a bare shell and we dont have enough money to move into it until Next summer.

Stupid? Mad? Go for it because you love it and will be liveing there for 15-20 years and bring up our family in it?

Thought appreciated , good or bad.

There is a twist to this.

In a sentence. Ive fell in love with a house and have done for 2-3 months. (ive been looking going on 12-18 months)

Its the only house we would be prepared to move into and as per previous topic, i am a cash buyer

The house fits all out needs perfectly, perfect country setting, set on a 1 acre site, really nice house.

I can buy the house for cash now at just a smidge over RTV

Heres the twist

Its a bare shell and we dont have enough money to move into it until Next summer.

Stupid? Mad? Go for it because you love it and will be liveing there for 15-20 years and bring up our family in it?

Thought appreciated , good or bad.

It depends why you dont have enough money to move into it. Is it because you cant afford to make the renovations required, or that it will take you a year to fund them?

I'm presuming that it has been on the market a while if you say you have been looking at it for 2-3mths so it would appear that no-one else has been in a rush to snap it up.

personally I would deduct whatever I felt the renovations would cost me from the price that you are referring as the price 'you could get it at'. The fact that you are a cash buyer puts you in a strong bargaining position and if your lower bid was successful perhaps you could afford to move in sooner.

If you can afford to buy it and are happy to leave it empty while you work on it as a project then fair enough but it will still cost you money to run even though it is empty.

Edited by tinbin

Thanks for the reply. There is someone else in for the house, though id prefer not to give too much away online

The price has been negotiated already to the point where they is no more movement, have tried v v hard on that.

It would take a year to fund the moveing in costs, which have carefully be planned.

I change my mind 20 times a day, saying its a crazy thing to do, then the other side of the coin i personally dont think anything else will come up which is perfect for us and you only live once (something in my head saying dont let this go)

Be careful purchasing a partly build house. The trouble with a cash buyer is he has not got a lender asking all the right questions. There are issues of warranties. has the building been constructed, to its present state in compliance with building control and planning. Remember you have to ask the questions a purchaser, in five or ten years will be asking you if you go on to sell. Do not underestimate the cost of completing a house. As a rule of thumb, if the roofs on you are 50% there.