House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

'hypersonic' Jet To Travel From Paris To Tokyo In Two-And-A-Half Hours

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8585139/Hypersonic-jet-to-travel-from-Paris-to-Tokyo-in-two-and-a-half-hours.html

If the futuristic plans for ZEHRA, standing for Zero Emission Hypersonic Transportation, prove feasible, the 3,125 mph jet will transport up to 100 passengers at more than four times the speed of sound, soaring 20 miles above the Earth – just outside its atmosphere.

At such speeds, it will take just 90 minutes to fly from Paris to New York, compared to three and a half hours for Concorde and almost eight hours in a normal passenger jet.

EADS, the European planemaker which is due to detail its plans at the Paris air show starting today, expects ZEHRA's first commercial flight to take place in 2050, with the first non-manned test flight slated for 2020.

So only 40 years away, better get the orders in now.

sounds (and looks like) a passenger version of the SR71 Blackbird

except the Blackbird had hybrid engines that effectively changed from turbojets to ramjets at high speed, instead of the 3 different kinds of engine envisaged for the proposed airliner - wonder why they don't just do what the SR71 did instead?

This is stupid , one of the main reasons they got rid of concorde was the horrendous fuel consumption and pollution it caused.

Still i guess it's one rule for the elite and another for the rest of us chumps.I expect a bill in the post shortly because i haven't changed all my lightbulbs to the mercury laden CFLs yet.

except the Blackbird had hybrid engines that effectively changed from turbojets to ramjets at high speed, instead of the 3 different kinds of engine envisaged for the proposed airliner - wonder why they don't just do what the SR71 did instead?

What you really need is a ground-based 'supergun launcher', perhaps 10km long and reaching >5km high. This would mean that you would need much less fuel - you'd be mostly on a ballistic trajectory - which would also mean far less risk, since you would not be at the mercy of engine failure or navigation errors.

you'd be mostly on a ballistic trajectory

Just shoot straight up and wait for the Earth to rotate beneath you.

What you really need is a ground-based 'supergun launcher', perhaps 10km long and reaching >5km high. This would mean that you would need much less fuel - you'd be mostly on a ballistic trajectory - which would also mean far less risk, since you would not be at the mercy of engine failure or navigation errors.

If you can get it above the troposphere, say on top of a mountain, but it would be too much hassle getting to the launch pad.

Just shoot straight up and wait for the Earth to rotate beneath you.

Shooting straight up and you've got the Earth's rotation in your initial velocity. Better not be standing below when someone launches it! (actually you're probably right, if you fire far enough straight up - well into space).

it's only a rather crappy animated cgi at the moment too.

...nice concept,but the yanks will end up developing a nuclear-powered E-MAG-LEV version that does 16000MPH(with 300 people load),capable of VTOL(plus also making right-angled turns instead of banking) so can land at your local gliding club if needed.

..no need for all that pesky runway....and faster turnaround time point-to-point.

..that's fair competition isn't it?

All they need is to obliteratete those nasty guys with shoulder-launched surface-air missiles bought from russia.

I went to a lecture by Barnes Wallis, oooh, about 45 years ago (really!), when he was proposing the exact same thing. It's what he had in mind when he invented the variable-geometry aeroplane (the "swing-wing"), not fighter jets. London to Australia non-stop, in about three hours IIRC. He had all the calcs and logistics worked out. The UK, of course, decided to go with Concorde and not his solution.

Incidentally, he was asked why the US version of his variable-geometry plane had a tailplane, whereas his designs didn't. He said they either added it to make it look more conventional, or they didn't understand his math. Possibly both.

...nice concept,but the yanks will end up developing a nuclear-powered E-MAG-LEV version that does 16000MPH(with 300 people load),capable of VTOL(plus also making right-angled turns instead of banking) so can land at your local gliding club if needed.

..no need for all that pesky runway....and faster turnaround time point-to-point.

Unless you've got Lee Majors at the controls, forget it.

Poster_of_the_movie_Starflight.jpg

They wheel this concept out every 10 years or so, usually in the Sunday Times. It is the plane of the future for a couple of weeks and then disappears for a few years, only to reappear with a new name and another extra engine.

First HOTOL, then Skylon, now this.

Fun doodles for bored aeronautical engineers.

The World should slow down and enjoy the scenic views at a slow pace, what is gained by cutting journey times by drastic amounts. My journey by boat on the Norfolk Broads at a gentle speed of 5mph I see so much. Travel by car at 60 mph on the same road route I observe nothing. ;)

HOTOL, that takes me back.

hotol1.gif

Clearly Starflight One was a HOTOL derivative.

The World should slow down and enjoy the scenic views at a slow pace, what is gained by cutting journey times by drastic amounts. My journey by boat on the Norfolk Broads at a gentle speed of 5mph I see so much. Travel by car at 60 mph on the same road route I observe nothing. ;)

I'm sure you can speed up on Breydon Water?

HOTOL, that takes me back.

hotol1.gif

Clearly Starflight One was a HOTOL derivative.

The future according to Eagle comics?

I'm trying to remember where I read that those Barns Wallis VTOL's would be taken off from rooftops all over London, the Hawker Harrier the first of a new concept in air travel.

We've been robbed of the future! tongue.gif

The future according to Eagle comics?

I'm trying to remember where I read that those Barns Wallis VTOL's would be taken off from rooftops all over London, the Hawker Harrier the first of a new concept in air travel.

We were all going to wear silver trousers and have personal nuclear-powered hovercraft by 1999.

In the end we got shell suits, the Sinclair C5 and Segway, and said no thanks.

We were all going to wear silver trousers and have personal nuclear-powered hovercraft by 1999.

In the end we got shell suits, the Sinclair C5 and Segway, and said no thanks.

We did get one prediction right. Every home would have a computer. However the illustration of the 60/70's showed the "home computer" taking up a room of the house, or an entire wall. And it literally was a "home computer" as it controlled the home, the temperature, closed curtains at night, regulated the cooking, and ensured that furniture, beds, and settee's popped out from the floor in a thoroughly Austin Powers way.

Don't get me started on personal jetpacks!

5133LMIt66L._SS500_.jpg

We were all going to wear silver trousers

Thank gawd that (and stretchy Lycra) never became the norm.

Not with the UK's obesity epidemic.

" Gravity is the enemy of every small boy" - Frank Hampson

Lol @ comments.. reply to 'why can't people just video conference'...

Petev .. sorry mate but you are probably a bit naive .. businessmen like to go in person to Asian countries because unlike staid old europe and the states at the end of a days work we are able to enjoy the countries young ladies to our hearts content, well away from wives and girlfriends .. its very much part of the culture and hugely appreciated .. in fact i dont think people fully appreciate the work done by China's young girls to further their countries economic growth !

I went to a lecture by Barnes Wallis, oooh, about 45 years ago (really!), when he was proposing the exact same thing. It's what he had in mind when he invented the variable-geometry aeroplane (the "swing-wing"), not fighter jets. London to Australia non-stop, in about three hours IIRC. He had all the calcs and logistics worked out. The UK, of course, decided to go with Concorde and not his solution.

Incidentally, he was asked why the US version of his variable-geometry plane had a tailplane, whereas his designs didn't. He said they either added it to make it look more conventional, or they didn't understand his math. Possibly both.

Barnes Wallis Swallow

They wheel this concept out every 10 years or so, usually in the Sunday Times. It is the plane of the future for a couple of weeks and then disappears for a few years, only to reappear with a new name and another extra engine.

Fun doodles for bored aeronautical engineers.

There was a rumour floating around a few years ago that stories of things like HOTOL and Aurora were simply disinformation to encourage the Soviets to waste more money.

FFS! In the 70s they were telling us we'd be teleporting everywhere by now / driving in flying cars / living on the moon etc. etc.

Yet another deception to add to the ever-growing list. :angry:

mi-mm-2m.jpg

flying-car-m400.jpg

Moller has persuaded investors to pay zillions into his flying car project over many years. It's still 'not ready'.