House Price Crash Forum
Bearback Mountain

Questions To Ask Question Time Panel

Hi Folks, a few ideas if you please.

I would like to know what you think would be a good question to ask the Question Time Panel on Thursday. I need 2.

First Idea....

"With the obvious reason the country is in a dire mess being down to overinflated asset prices (houses) which brought the banks to thier knees. What steps going forward will we be taking take to make sure that it does not happen again."

Is the panel in favour of the nation providing itself with an adequate, debt-free, publicly issued, persistently circulating means of exchange to replace the present expensive rent-a-currency system?

If not, then why not?

I would like to know what you think would be a good question to ask the Question Time Panel on Thursday. I need 2.

First Idea....

"With the obvious reason the country is in a dire mess being down to overinflated asset prices (houses) which brought the banks to thier knees. What steps going forward will we be taking take to make sure that it does not happen again."

The BBC would never pick that question as it's not "mainstream" enough. Needs to be snappier and in words that the people understand. Something like "the house price bubble of the last decade brought down banks and now governments, and continues to burden people with high living costs. what steps should be taken to ensure we don't start another bubble again?"

The BBC would never pick that question as it's not "mainstream" enough. Needs to be snappier and in words that the people understand. Something like "the house price bubble of the last decade brought down banks and now governments, and continues to burden people with high living costs. what steps should be taken to ensure we don't start another bubble again?"

Thanks for that.

It has to be something topical so I'd go with the self-build idea.

"Housing Minister Grant Schapps has said that self-built housing should be something for everyone. Does the panel agree that more land needs to be made available to make this an affordable reality for ordinary people?"

What about something like this.

"The figures for housing benefit are staggering in the UK so instead of the government paying money over to private landlords why does the gevernment not introduce a housebuilding program which will in theory help kickstart the economy and also deflate house prices/rents to a level which will make us more competitive as a nation."

"With with inflation exceeding savings account rates, does the panel approve of this legalised theft from savers to pay for the financially imprudent".

or

"It is widely accepted that house prices are too high, the average house in my area is 10 times the average wage. In light of reports this week of further increased asking prices, would the panel agree that we should be encouraging better affordability not worse, and what would they do to bring prices down ?"

Edited by exiges

"Do you think that the editorial bias evident in this program is consistent with the either the BBC Charter or the views of over 50% of licence payers?"

One of my favourite quotes about question time

"Question Time is basically a populist shouting match where facts and figures don't have time to get checked"

Waht about...

"What makes for better television, clear facts for which there's no room for discussion.............or the usual endless waffle that's led us the our present predicament?"

Firstbuy: Does it help the first time buyer or does it merely protect housebuilders from having to drop prices?

If you are allowed to ask the question and then they come back to you to assess the panels reponse, throw in something controversial and see if you can spark the panel to comment further......

Not snappy enough, but something along the following lines would be my suggestion.....

The thinking and logic behind firstbuy is economically flawed, but that is not an accident. It is simply a blatent lie that has been dressed up by spin doctors and an abuse of taxpayers money. It is a direct subsidy for housebuilders. These subsidies do not help ftbs - but putting help for ftbs to oneside - if there was a benefit to be had, why are re-sale homes excluded? Answer, because it is a policy to subsidise housbuilders not a policy either to stimulate the housing market or help new entrants who wish to participate in that market.

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

Ask them if they think the political system in the UK is working and representing the will of the population, and is the media failing at holding the political system to account?

First Idea....

This fails as it is not obvious to most.

Firstbuy: Does it help the first time buyer or does it merely protect housebuilders from having to drop prices?

+1

Although I would reword it slightly:

Does Firstbuy help the first time buyer or does it just protect housebuilders from having to cut their prices?

Edited by Dorkins

How long do we have before Britain inevitably follows the crises in Greece, Iceland and the like, and what can we as individuals do to protect ourselves?

It has to be something topical so I'd go with the self-build idea.

"Housing Minister Grant Schapps has said that self-built housing should be something for everyone. Does the panel agree that more land needs to be made available to make this an affordable reality for ordinary people?"

+ 1

Very good indeed.

First Idea....

I have one!

"The credit bubble was being inflated since 2001 or 2002, very visible since around 2003, and obvious since around 2004.

Why the BBC didn't warn the nation about it?

How can a democracy function well if its main media is so incompetent?"

:)

Does the govt's constant U-turning mean they are too frightened to tell the country that there really is no money left?

This is great.

I had the women from the BBC call up and when I mentioned the home buy question she basically said, oh do you not have anything from the Main Headlines of the week. I said yeah this is pretty big I would have thought and she seemed bemused almost as though I should be asking questions about Cheryl Cole or something. A joke.