House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Motability Fraud Exposed,no Wonder We're Skint When We Throw It Away.

Yes the Sunday Times covered this fraud extensively. Was going to post but paywall problems blah, blah. Glad the Wail has picked up on this fraud.

Seems a very good way of getting a cheap Beemer or Merc! laugh.gif

so,why don't we jsut give people a computer and let them order their shopping online?This is jsut a stunning disincentive to work.

I know one fat lady who managed who got a free car for her asthma.she was delighted.thought her ship had come in when she got diagnosed.

I am a bitter individual and my is rant over.

I am sure the answer would be some kind of taxi card, with photo ID, so it can't be passed round relatives, though should allow a helper (depending on the disability).

I am sure the answer would be some kind of taxi card, with photo ID, so it can't be passed round relatives, though should allow a helper (depending on the disability).

Great idea, I'm 100% certain that taxi drivers wouldn't start adding a bit more on to the journey price to help make ends meet.

It would be an audit nightmare.

Not sure why the taxpayer is funding BMW's etc...

German debt driven ponzi export economy.

Even more bizarre is the fact that you don't even have to be a British Citizen to sponge a nice car off the tax payer.

I remember Abu Hanza, the rabid cleric with a claw from Finsbury Mosque, got himself a nice Ford Galaxy every couple of years or so and he wasn't a British citizen.

Mind, you, he also had houses all across London and was claiming housing benefit whilst preaching how evil and corrupt the British are.

I work and I've got a Beamer, myself, but it cost £1200 on Ebay 3 years ago and being a 735i I need to phone OPEC to start pumping if I pop out in it.

Always amazes me that the working man can only afford to drive a second hand car but yet someone on disability who doesn't work is handed a bland shiny new one every three years.

Would it be too demeaning to maybe let them run the same car for ten years like the rest of us? Or is it better to take the maximum depreciation hit after three years, time after time, after time, after time...

The road my mum lives on must have the record number od disabled living on as it seems like every second effing house has a disabled parking bay in front. Really pisser trying to find a parking spot. Funny thing is I see most of these knobs wandering around without a care. All nice new cars aswell. This country is screwed.

Always amazes me that the working man can only afford to drive a second hand car but yet someone on disability who doesn't work is handed a bland shiny new one every three years.

Would it be too demeaning to maybe let them run the same car for ten years like the rest of us? Or is it better to take the maximum depreciation hit after three years, time after time, after time, after time...

You just don't get labours methods. Trouble is once you give people this you'd be seen as evil to take their "birthright" away from them. How could you kick the poor disabled person out of their car you heartless *******! And old cars are unreliable and therefore dangerous, and you could trust the beeb to find an example where someone's 4 year old car didn't start and the disabled person missed their hospital appointment, left them quite shaken.

So not only are you forcing the public purse to splash out on keeping the motor industry afloat you are making it increasingly likely that when the conservatives get in and try to address this madness they will look evil. Double win for NewLab ;)

this scheme grates on me for many reasons.not least that motability related adverts dominate our local radio.they annoy me immensely.but quite how do the govt think it's appropriate to buy people a brand new car every three years when a lot of taxpayers are struggling to keep their old banger on the road.

so,why don't we jsut give people a computer and let them order their shopping online?This is jsut a stunning disincentive to work.

I know one fat lady who managed who got a free car for her asthma.she was delighted.thought her ship had come in when she got diagnosed.

You're right to be angry. My mother has a motability Freelander. She uses it to drive out into the countryside where she takes her dogs for long country walks .

:blink:

You're right to be angry. My mother has a motability Freelander. She uses it to drive out into the countryside where she takes her dogs for long country walks .

:blink:

Does she meet the criteria for the motability allowance part of the disability living allowance? (edited to include below)

It seems pretty tight on paper - so where is the abuse taking place?

http://www.direct.go...ple/DG_10011816

</h3>

<h3>If you have mobility needs

To get the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, your disability must be severe enough for you to have any of the following walking difficulties, even when wearing or using an aid or equipment you normally use:

• because of a physical disability, you are unable or virtually unable to walk without severe discomfort, or at risk of endangering your life or causing deterioration in your health by making the effort to walk
  • you have no feet or legs
  • you are assessed to be both 100 per cent disabled because of loss of eyesight and not less than 80 per cent disabled because of deafness and you need someone with you when you are out of doors
  • you are severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and qualify for the highest rate of care component
  • you need guidance or supervision most of the time from another person when walking out of doors in unfamiliar places

Whilst the scheme does have its inherent flaws luxury motors like a Beemer or indeed a freelander will require an up front cash payment as well.

People so entitled will be getting disability benefit at the higher rate with the mobility element, they can either take a car with it or the money.

My lad is so entitled (profoundly mentally disabled) and indeed we had a motability car when he was younger.He is now 21 and in receipt of invalidity benefit as well as the disability benefit. We no longer have the mobility car but when we did we used it as the family runabout. The lad would sometimes be in the car sometimes not.

There is probably nothing wrong with the principle behind the idea where it has gone wrong is the numbers of people being awarded disability at the higher rate.

Nu Labour relaxed the criteria so even persons with asthma (in the report) and other questionable conditions became applicable.

the article is drivel.

1. The photos are laughably the wrong cars - you'd think the Mail may have spent 5 seconds on google.

2. The Mail tries to obfuscate the advance payments. A 320d Msport requires an additional £3,500 cash up front from the lessor. That is lost at the end. Similar with other cars.

3. It's a lease deal. The price is all about the price they get out of the manufacturer. Taking that 320d Msport, list is nearly £30K. No-one in their right mind pays more than £25K for it as a retail punter, and the fleets are able to get them for say £22K because of bulk purchasing direct from BMW Head Office. Then take off the VAT. They then work out the residual at the end of three years, and the lease price is based on that. This is why the cost is actually much lower than say a Mondeo with the same real purchase price.....

4. Taking the Saab, they are listed at that, in the real world, it's a £15K/16K car.

Total irresponsible poorly researched journalism.

As for the muppet comments about the disabled being forced to drive a basic Corsa --- most of them do....... because it's nil down to get it. But some disabled people need more space, my parents are both disabled, my father needs the height to step into, not sit down into, a car, my mother is the same. They have an SUV Honda on Motability. Neither are flexible enough to get in and out of a normal car easily (Porsches, Audi convertibles, even lowly GTIs). Should they be required to simply not have a car ? That car costs Motability less than it would cost them to provide a Corsa. Because it was taken from the stock list in late 2008, when the car market collapsed. It was £1,800 down and then the usual DLA payments. It's a £29K car, £25K with discount. I understand Motability took 400 of them when nothing was selling.... they got them for under £16.5K (with the VAT off as well). Realistically, that car has a trade book (as exmotability and 25K on it) of about £15K next January. That is a good deal for Motability. And my parents. And me, who will try to buy it off Motability at the end of the lease - it has poncey nav, electric everything, heated leather, reversing cameras, the lot....... - again people don't understand how Motability works.

I have no complaints with stopping fraudsters but the public is thick. I was stopped recently in a nice genteel English town when parking our 5 series, a nice big shiny 2 ton lump of 11 plated make people jealous German metal in a disabled bay. I am not disabled. My wife and the pram were with us (as was the baby !) Neither are they disabled. And my mother - who is. They were her disabled badges. The moron (a middle class looking woman dressed like you'd expect from a well to do country busybody) frothing at me was jealous about the car and actually reported me to a passing PCSO for fraudulently using blue badges and how could someone disabled afford a 5 series...... I let him come to the car and passed him the badge. He turned it over and lo, a photo of my mother...... he then had a very loud word with the dick for being such a prejudiced bigotted moron.

[No, the 5 series is not a motability car, nor is it on tick.]

You just don't get labours methods. Trouble is once you give people this you'd be seen as evil to take their "birthright" away from them. How could you kick the poor disabled person out of their car you heartless *******! And old cars are unreliable and therefore dangerous, and you could trust the beeb to find an example where someone's 4 year old car didn't start and the disabled person missed their hospital appointment, left them quite shaken.

So not only are you forcing the public purse to splash out on keeping the motor industry afloat you are making it increasingly likely that when the conservatives get in and try to address this madness they will look evil. Double win for NewLab ;)

Well I suppose that's the 'Daily Mail' way of looking at it - Labour buying votes by handing out cash to the 'feckless'.

Another viewpoint could be that in fact it's a scheme set up to help people genuinely in need which has been abused by self-centric people who are devoid of a social conscience, and are doing what's best and easiest for themselves.

On whose watch was it now that the 'look after number one' mentality was ushered in?

Same people I think who decided there's no such thing as society, just individuals acting in their own self-interest.

Just a comment for the sake of balance, dontcha know.

Why dont we just have a system of allocating a cash amount for people on disabilities, taken out of a fixed pot. Doctors allocate points according to your need, and the amount paid out is the size of the pot, divided by the total number of points allocated by doctors, times the number of points you have, and also subject to a maximum amount per point.

That way, if doctors just start allocating everyone points, it reduces the amount that everyone gets. When they realise that by handing out points to someone with a bit of depression is causing those with no legs to have their benefit cut, they might tighten up a bit. Doctors need to do the points allocation, as I cant see who else is qualified.

And then we can ditch motability.

Well I suppose that's the 'Daily Mail' way of looking at it - Labour buying votes by handing out cash to the 'feckless'.

Another viewpoint could be that in fact it's a scheme set up to help people genuinely in need which has been abused by self-centric people who are devoid of a social conscience, and are doing what's best and easiest for themselves.

On whose watch was it now that the 'look after number one' mentality was ushered in?

Same people I think who decided there's no such thing as society, just individuals acting in their own self-interest.

they don't need brand new cars. But the economy and labour needed brand new car sales.

Adam and Eve mate, this is a very naive view of the world

edit: do we need an update to Godwon's law that says:

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of someone blaming it all on Fatcher approaches 100%."

There is probably nothing wrong with the principle behind the idea where it has gone wrong is the numbers of people being awarded disability at the higher rate.

this pretty much says all i think i need to know on this topic, sounds fair

the main thrust of my argument is why should your parents have a free car when the guy stacking shelves at Asda doesn't get one?

quoting trade/book/model prices at me is rather pointless given my stated opposition to the schemem.could your parents manage with a free computer/taxi allowance?

because they have paid into a system for 40 odd years. Because the nearest taxi firm is 6 miles away and won't take them the 200 mile round trip to see us. It's for their health issues, not because they don't earn enough. They could choose to buy their own car and so keep the DLA, or are you now saying that if you worked hard and saved hard, you shouldn't get the benefit, it should be means tested - like that's a) fair and b ) not going to be abused by the low paid.

Should they get it, the scheme is the same price as the benefit, it keeps people in Swindon in jobs, it generates money for the UK etc and it's a hell of a lot less than the other ways of doing it ?

Are you saying my parents should just shut themselves away and refuse to accept a universal benefit ? Have you been offering to pay MORE tax recently as well ?

Thanks for that. The article is astonishingly biased. The majority of Motability cars are NOT BMWs and Mercedes, they are basic models. You are allocated a certain amount of money from Motability. If you want a flashier car, you pay for it yourself.

However, I do agree that too many people are awarded the higher rate of disability living allowance.

My mother has a Motability car. She wears calipers due to polio as a baby and is getting progressively weaker (she's in her 70s). She's been too ill to drive for around three months whilst awaiting open heart surgery and asked us to take the car so that we could pick her up, drop her off, take her to hospital appointments and do her shopping etc. She's had the surgery now and is still in hospital.. The car is still with us and used for hospital visits, very rarely for anything else. What else are we supposed to do? Leave it outside her house as a sitting target for vandals and a guaranteed flat battery for when she finally can use it again?

because they have paid into a system for 40 odd years. Because the nearest taxi firm is 6 miles away and won't take them the 200 mile round trip to see us. It's for their health issues, not because they don't earn enough. They could choose to buy their own car and so keep the DLA, or are you now saying that if you worked hard and saved hard, you shouldn't get the benefit, it should be means tested - like that's a) fair and b ) not going to be abused by the low paid.

Should they get it, the scheme is the same price as the benefit, it keeps people in Swindon in jobs, it generates money for the UK etc and it's a hell of a lot less than the other ways of doing it ?

Are you saying my parents should just shut themselves away and refuse to accept a universal benefit ? Have you been offering to pay MORE tax recently as well ?

Who cares if you live 200 miles away, there are other ways to travel other than by personal car. I cant afford a car despite working full time my whole life.

We have to ensure that peoples human rights are up held and that sadly means they have to be able to travel.

How we get there is the problem. The higher rate DLA is awarded too often to the wrong people as are blue badges. These benefit should be linked to an individuals mobility needs. When you look the numbers of people who park in disabled bays and then wander around a supermarket without any indication of any mobility problems. In fact I've seen wheelchair users have to park in normal bays because all the disabled spaces are taken. Surely the point of the blue badge was to help wheelchair users not just make parking easier for the lazy.

It would be interesting to know just how many mobility cars are supplied adapted to allow the recipient of the DLA to us it. Also I wonder how many blue badges are actually given to actual wheelchair users.

Perhaps you could arrange to pick them up and drop them off. You can walk can't you? They're your parents and your responsibility. Pull your finger out.