House Price Crash Forum

Summer Holiday? Not This Year, Say 17Million Britons Facing Money Worries

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2005637/Summer-holiday-Not-year-say-17million-Britons-facing-money-worries.html

The poll found that nine in ten of those who are going without a summer holiday this year are those people who would normally take a break in this country.

Could be the scared of flying / can't get travel insurance due to existing medical complaints demographic

Can't be finance can it? I thought the irony was that a week renting a caravan in this country costs more than a week in spain including flights

interesting stat stating that 90% of those not going this year holiday in the UK.I wonder whther thats' due to the demogrpahic or whther the sort of people who holiday in the UK are a little more conservative culturally.either way,it's nice to see some people are wising up to the Ponzi.

looking at my local travel agent,they've got some great deals in their windows but as per the legendary chav holiday thread,it's the cost of living when you're there rather than the flight thats putting people off.

mate who has a pad in tenerife says the local cafes and restaurants are getting nailed by a recent new trend for all inlcusives.

Demographics may well make a large difference - 3 years of interst rate manipulation really are beginning to hit those on fixed income. Devon and Cornwall are fantastic (fantastically expensive), largly thanks to bubble economics, so no surprise that if anything this market will be hit even more than foreign holidays. After all getting away from this expensive dump still has its attractions even with the value of sterling being undermined.

Sun going down over the Costas? The numbers of tourists going to Spain are well up this year.

The number of foreign visitors to Spain has far exceeded governmental predictions. Some nine million tourists have visited Spain over the last quarter. An increase of 2.9% from the same period in 2010.

Spain Large Increase in tourist numbers

It is true that Brit numbers are down though - the increase is in tourists from places like France, the Netherlands and Belgium.

The cheap end of British holiday making is crap IMO, if i can't afford the better end i'd rather not bother, just have a few weeks off work and go on some day trips. I suspect i'm not alone in this.

Saying that i bet a lot of people will not book but try to find a bargain last minute foreign package deal.

Edited by athom

Sun going down over the Costas? The numbers of tourists going to Spain are well up this year.

Spain Large Increase in tourist numbers

It is true that Brit numbers are down though - the increase is in tourists from places like France, the Netherlands and Belgium.

Yep. I was on the Costa Brava for a football tournament about a month back. Full of the nations you mention above. few Brits. The Brits I did meet all moaned about the euro being expensive.

The eurozone holidaymakers found the resort cheap. Pint of beer 3.50€ / coffee at 1€ / hotel room plus full board for 50€ a night etc.

Spain's tourist industry will survive as it can adapt PDQ to change.

The cheap end of British holiday making is crap IMO, if i can't afford the better end i'd rather not bother, just have a few weeks off work and go on some day trips. I suspect i'm not alone in this.

Right at the bottom isn't so bad!

Last year during uber unemployment I went out on my bicycle pretty much all the way to Anglesea, I bought with me a bivvy bag, and it was quite pleasant riding down country lanes on weekdays which were completely abandoned. I'd have a pub lunch now and again but essentially cooked for myself.

Not surprised! £480 quid (for 2) flights to Turkey.

It may be the case that the cost of air flights will revert to previous high levels. But the cost of travelling down to Devon or Cornwall isn't exactly cheap now - ok, so if you fit 4 or 5 people into a car it's not too bad. It's just the price of everything when you get there (accommodation, drink, food etc) will be at least twice that you can pay in many Med resorts. Shame, as it's a fantastic area, but I suppose you need high prices to keep out the riff-raff :P

Ditto. I've been abroad on holiday in the summer once in the last ten years; there's enough to do in the UK for me. Mind you, it helps having family living on the edge of the Lake District. Just a pity that once you go into the Lakes it's generally so horribly crowded these days but that can be mostly missed with a late start and taking advantage of the late sunsets. On the odd occasions that I manage to get further than the pub, that is.

Yep. I was on the Costa Brava for a football tournament about a month back. Full of the nations you mention above. few Brits. The Brits I did meet all moaned about the euro being expensive.

The eurozone holidaymakers found the resort cheap. Pint of beer 3.50€ / coffee at 1€ / hotel room plus full board for 50€ a night etc.

Well yes, and if you drink wine or local spirits the savings can be even greater. Coffee is great value there. Also, you can find places where a bottle of the local beers (Mahou, San Miguel) isn't expensive. It's only when you insist on drinking the "pint" measure that the price is inflated. Hotel accommodation generally is better value on the continent, and even in Scotland, compared to England.

looking at my local travel agent,they've got some great deals in their windows but as per the legendary chav holiday thread,it's the cost of living when you're there rather than the flight thats putting people off.

Was looking at a couple of weeks in France, but the cost has just gone through the roof in recent years. Eight years ago, wife, her sister, son and me, got flights, car hire and accommodation for less than a grand. Now for the same place; wife, son, daughter and me we are looking at £1K for a flight and then another £3K for a couple of weeks accommodation. And then whatever the car hire is on top of it. And the increased cost of eating out.

Liitle wonder people aren't bothering.

Not going away, need to spend money on the house. Property maintenance is likely to become a luxury we can't afford over the coming years so doing as many repairs as possible now whilst I still have the cash. Hopefully if any future issues will be minor and not cost a fortune to sort out.

Saying that i bet a lot of people will not book but try to find a bargain last minute foreign package deal.

+1, and a lot will depend on what sort of summer we get. Anyone flogging foreign hols must be longing for wet, wet, wet.

Right at the bottom isn't so bad!

Last year during uber unemployment I went out on my bicycle pretty much all the way to Anglesea, I bought with me a bivvy bag, and it was quite pleasant riding down country lanes on weekdays which were completely abandoned. I'd have a pub lunch now and again but essentially cooked for myself.

When my son's old enough we'll be doing plenty of this but won't get my wife sleeping on the ground in a bivvi bag, phobic for insects is an understatement. Actually another thing i've done in the past was similarly cheapo end of the scale was a very small boat adapted for sleeping in, couple of hundred pounds to buy and never had to pay for moorings, fish off the back, pick up mussels from the beeches etc, can get right up creeks where bigger boats can't go and the whole thing was very huck fin. Looked at the price of 1 week hire for a narrow boat and you can buy a small 3 or 4 berth yacht for that.

eg http://www.ashbyboats.com/Prices.htm or buy http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/yachts/vivacity-PAA27934

Exactly. Flights are not affected at all.

easy(e)je©t is always full to the brim.

Massive, absolutely horrendous queues in Gatwick and Luton for passport check on arrival.

Bring on the Southend-on-Sea airport pronto, or soon people will be camping overnight in Arrivals to get the passport checked next day ! :lol::P

Must be the fruits of all the market meddling paying off - nobody has any money left to spend and what little they do have has no buying power.

Still at least asking prices are rising again. The country being completely FUBAR'd is obviously just a sideshow.

These are truly awful times to be working for restaurants and hotels here in the UK, like I do. Only people doing OK this year are B&Bs and campsites, and many of them are struggling. You just have to fight, fight, and fight again for diners/guests or they're not coming.

The more remote parts of Wales are feeling it bad. Day trippers / short breakers from SW / S Wales not turning up, middle classes not here. People are VERY aware of petrol costs. Gower / Porthcawl are winning out against say Pembrokeshire / Ceredigion.

My part of West Wales is feeling very edgy at the moment. So many rely on tourism and it's in a dire position. Feels like London on a bad day at times. Really weird stuff going on.

Edited by gruffydd

... won't get my wife sleeping on the ground in a bivvi bag

+1

She moans about not getting a set seat on a budget airline :( Used to be an issue when the their flights were so much cheaper, but nowadays, Air France/BA are as cheap (and often a lot cheaper when cab fares and baggage are taken into account) as RyanAir/EasyJet to France. So now we get a drink on the way to boot.

That shows the typically myopic way that the British public looks at things - what people don't realise is that it's not that these places have suddenly 'got expensive', it's that the pound has been devalued.

It's an absolutely clear cut example of how government policy has resulted in the public's savings and incomes being looted.

It's an absolutely clear cut example of how government policy has resulted in the public's savings and incomes being looted.

At least people can't say they weren't warned.

Strange phenomena at the moment in that the Easyjet flights I'm watching to buy are getting cheaper rather than more expensive, go figure.

Not cheap to fly to Crete any more though £300+ in high summer :(

That shows the typically myopic way that the British public looks at things - what people don't realise is that it's not that these places have suddenly 'got expensive', it's that the pound has been devalued.

Agree. Being in a eurozone country, I've been telling this fact to all my UK based friends/family when they come to visit. They always ask how I can afford x/y/z . . . I reply that in fact a lot of stuff is now cheaper than 3yrs ago (in euros) as shops are cutting prices to attract custom. Being devalued in the UK, it takes them a few minutes thinking before the penny drops....

Also, I always tell the vistors to buy local, fresh produce or local brands. And not to go to any shop selling "UK food". Typically 2-3 times more expensive than the local brand.