House Price Crash Forum

Comet Beginning To Shut Down Stores

HOLA441

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business-in-wales/business-news/2011/06/20/gloom-at-comet-and-dixons-as-profits-set-to-tumble-91466-28905498/

Gloom at Comet and Dixons as profits set to tumble

What beats me is BestBuy. Just awful prices and I have read they are failing to get established in this country. Do a search for any given leccy tat and BB is usually at least 20% more than Currys or Comet.

THat all said I am having to buy some kitchen shinola for my new house and have bought the hob from Comnet and the oven from Currys. Search on IDEALO (the best appliance comparison website) found them to be the cheapest of any online source in the UK. Maybe they are liquidating some shit to raise cash?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Shame really as I'll have nowhere to go to visually inspect my next TV purchase before purchase it online :lol:

Fukc em, let them burn...

The country has made a choice, the choice is to keep the housing market propped up, the nation enslaved and living expenses sky high. Hardly surprising nobody has any money left to spend on overpriced products in Comet.

Don't worry, it will only get worse...

HOLA445
HOLA446

Shame really as I'll have nowhere to go to visually inspect my next TV purchase before purchase it online :lol:

Fukc em, let them burn...

The country has made a choice, the choice is to keep the housing market propped up, the nation enslaved and living expenses sky high. Hardly surprising nobody has any money left to spend on overpriced products in Comet.

Don't worry, it will only get worse...

Yep. Comet and is b*stard retial twin, Dixons, are terrible.

Don;t buy anything with them as they have a tendency to organise special production runs to get a strip down version of certain models.

Just buy stuff from John Lewis.

HOLA447

Yep. Comet and is b*stard retial twin, Dixons, are terrible.

Don;t buy anything with them as they have a tendency to organise special production runs to get a strip down version of certain models.

Just buy stuff from John Lewis.

+1

They have a different model number so you can't to (web) price comparision as easily.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Last time I moved house I placed a big order with Comet.

Nothing happened.

After the max. number of days they quoted for delivery, I tried chasing them.

Eventually I got through to a human. After a lot of checking it became evident that their ordering system was hopelessly broken. What they had didn't match what I had (saved from when I placed the order), and in any case they were sitting on it without doing anything.

I cancelled the order, and placed one with Argos instead. It (the Argos order) arrived promptly the following morning.

Particularly annoying because that order included that most urgent of mod-cons, the fridge-freezer.

If they are closing, good riddance.

HOLA4411

Retail just cannot compete with low overhead online. Those days are gone and shops like Comet/Dixons will never be back on high street. Google product search has been my shopping mall for many years. I do not recall when was last time I bought anything on high street - appliances, car parts, health supplies, electronics, mobiles etc - all bought online. Why would I spend time sitting in traffic, burning petrol, looking/paying for parking when I can sit at home in slippers drinking cup of tea and have unlimited choice with delivery to my doors.

Its just how world has evolved. I would have happened sooner or later anyway, recession just made it happen bit earlier.

HOLA4412

Local store went a few weeks ago.

Good riddance.

We went in to look at 37" TVs. All they kept saying was 'well most people buy either 32 or 40'. We might as well have been asking for a 35.8" TV as far as they were concerned.

Then there was -

'Your Sky send a signal in Blah Blah Hz'

'We don't have Sky'

'Well, when you get Sky'

'We're not getting Sky'

'Eh'

HOLA4413

TBH this is just a shift of the change face of retail.

over the last decade as public confidence grew and they found the same product cheaper online the shop based companies was doomed.

there are very few items you actually need to go in to a shop for, and Electrical is not one of them. OK some people want ot have a look at the product, but 99% of the details are all technical ie written down. all you need is a shop window really.

as long as you place an order by 2pm with some of the online places 9/10 its at your door next day. but for Comet, they couldnt deliver a washing machine for 2 weeks?!? and if i wanted a saturday delivery it was an extra costs, i ordered it on line and at a cheaper price i had it next business day.

add in high rents etc of actualyl having a shop then its another nail in the death of the high street coffin.

Tescos are taking a massive chunk of the electrical market, as well, mainly due ot loss leaders, but its having an effect.

maybe DSG strike a deal with Tescos and have their electrical departments branded Curry's, they then get rid of their shop presence and latch onto the buying power of tescos for cheaper stock. you then have an almost captive audience as well.

HOLA4414

My suspicion would be that the supermarkets have inflicted far more damage than online. Things like toasters, microwaves and kettles were a steady business less affected by the wider economy than giant TVs.

It's alright saying good riddance to physical shops but, I can assure you customer service online will get worse and worse. There is little loyalty with online customers who are predominantly searching for the cheapest deal on every purchase. Why bother keeping them happy when the odds are getting lower and lower of them being a repeat customer all the time - (this applies to one off big ticket type spends not basket spending)

HOLA4415

The rent and rates are too high. This is what happens.

TBH it's more the cost of keeping the staff stood there all week - although this is, sort of, part of the same problem.

Also, the low prices of imported goods is another.

HOLA4416

My suspicion would be that the supermarkets have inflicted far more damage than online. Things like toasters, microwaves and kettles were a steady business less affected by the wider economy than giant TVs.

It's alright saying good riddance to physical shops but, I can assure you customer service online will get worse and worse. There is little loyalty with online customers who are predominantly searching for the cheapest deal on every purchase. Why bother keeping them happy when the odds are getting lower and lower of them being a repeat customer all the time - (this applies to one off big ticket type spends not basket spending)

But don't for get that 'customer service' in Dixons is non existent.

HOLA4417

I would blame the internet over high rents or whatever. Since I got a free Amazon prime account (free for students offer) I've been ordering nearly everything off it.

Just looking at our order history:

Washing machine parts

lawn mower blades

microwave

GPS

computer bits

video games

door locks

makeup

textbooks

weed killer

oil and air filters for the car

toys

set of pots and pans

food

bread maker

computer cables

fish oil, whey protein, vitamins

With free shipping the prices just can't be matched. I can't remember the last time I bought something from an actual shop. When I do buy something at a shop it's Costco. And when I do go to a Comet type place it's to check out something in person before I order it from Amazon/Newegg.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

It just show you how poor the public actually are, without a line of credit.

I've often wondered how many people can actually spend a grand on a new TV and BluRay player out of a months salary. Not many it seems.

The answer here, if Merv wants to continue down his road to ruin with IR's at under 1%, is wage inflation. So everyone needs 10%+ pay rises to offset Merv's delusion.

Edited by Wait & See

HOLA4420

TBH it's more the cost of keeping the staff stood there all week - although this is, sort of, part of the same problem.

Also, the low prices of imported goods is another.

We've seen shops opening for longer and longer and even 24hrs at the supermarkets, is anyone out there in the world of retail thinking "this isn't working and we need to consolidate our opening hours (and staff costs) to when it makes us the money"?

Thoughts?

HOLA4421

Big super markets are open 24/7 anyway for re-stocking and cleaning, so all it takes is one check out person, and the times I have been in at 4 am they are usually doing double duty stocking shelves and I have to wait for them to check me out.

HOLA4422

Big super markets are open 24/7 anyway for re-stocking and cleaning, so all it takes is one check out person, and the times I have been in at 4 am they are usually doing double duty stocking shelves and I have to wait for them to check me out.

Yeh they might as well open because they are restocking anyway. and even waiting for a till isn't a problem due to self service. Quite often pop into Beckton Tesco at 3am in the morning!

However the other sector defying gravity at the moment is fast food. There must me nearly 20 outlets in a few square miles of me, and almost all look empty when I go past. The only exception being a pizza place round the corner. I can only assume they are a front for bringing in relatives from abroad, because I just can't see how they pay. And I've not had a "takeaway" in nearly two years, but thats down to more of "keep fit thing", rather than austerity. I can see a lot of fast food outlets being empty in a few years time, to add the inventory of empty commercial property.

HOLA4423

I don't understand the fast food thing either. It's is 100x worse in the US. Seriously all of these fast food franchises are within 3 miles of my house.

mcdonalds

burger king

wendys

arbys

freddys frozen custard (and burgers)

five guys

sonic

hardies

cheeburger cheeburger

taco tico

taco johns

taco bueno

taco bell

qudoba

steak n shake

starbucks

chipotle

kfc

popeys

churchs chicken

chic filet

sheriden frozen custard

cold stone creamery

pizza hut

papa johns

papa murphies

dominos

cicis pizza

baskin robbins

dunkin donuts

dairy queen

quiznos

subway

sbarro

jimmy johns

little caesars

long john silvers

jamba juice

gambinos pizza

planet sub

schlotzsky's

godfathers pizza

jersey mike's subways

When you add the chain sit down restaurants like Oilve Garden the list doubles. You drive down the street and they are just lined up next to each other. I have no idea how they all stay in business, most of them are empty except for the lunch/dinner rush. Judging from drive-through traffic McDonalds is by far the most popular, they are almost always busy. I can't explain why.

What's crazy is there are only 4 variations of what these places offer:

Hamburgers/sandwiches

Pizza

Mexican

Chicken

From the looks of things those 4 foods account for half of the US economy. Really bizarre to me.

HOLA4424

If anyone wants to make a killing, move to the US and start a fast food franchise corporation.

You could call it "Haggis John's" and serve fish and chips, deep fried pizza, deep fried mars bars, irn-bru and stuff like that. Make all the servers wear kilts. After the public gets over the initial contempt of the unfamiliar you will make a bundle.