House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird 900

Beach Hut In Southwold For Sale

Potential buyers will need to be aware that their property has no mains water, gas or electricity and council rules state that nobody can stay the night in it.

Bargain.

If someone volantarily wants to pay £60k for a glorified garden shed with the potential to be washed away in a storm who are we to try to stop them?

If someone volantarily wants to pay £60k for a glorified garden shed with the potential to be washed away in a storm who are we to try to stop them?

+1

This comes into the category of 'stuff I quite like rich people to spend their money on because I don't want it myself', along with designer handbags.

they need to buy stuff at ridiculous prices in order for a teeny bit of their vast wealth to trickle down to the rest of us.

I'm beginning to see why some people are prepared to pay 400k for a terraced house in London. What a crazy country!

Not just in London, either. This tiny little 800 sqft cottage in Southwold itself is under offer at well over £400k. A place this size would actually be less in lots of good parts of London.

http://property.durrants.com/more_details.php?profileID=358852

The thing that amazes me about Southwold is that it is in the middle of one of the cheapest parts of the south of England. Small terraced cottages would sell for more like the cost of the beach hut just a couple of miles away from Southwold, but Southwold itself is just astronomical.

Edited by worried1

Not just in London, either. This tiny little 800 sqft cottage in Southwold itself is under offer at well over £400k. A place this size would actually be less in lots of good parts of London.

http://property.durrants.com/more_details.php?profileID=358852

The thing that amazes me about Southwod is that it is in the middle of one of the cheapest parts of the south of England. Small terraced cottages would sell for more like the cost of the beach hut just a couple of miles away from Southwold, but Southwold itself is just astronomical.

That isn't true.I lived in Wangford,four miles out and you cannot buy anything,however grotty for less than about £120k.If you go to Lowestoft,ten miles to the north there are properties in the £80k range but these will be in the notorious North/South Bronx areas of the town where BTL and HMO properties abound,there is 20% unemployment and high crime rates.Mrs P taught in the SBronx and it's pretty grim.

That isn't true.I lived in Wangford,four miles out and you cannot buy anything,however grotty for less than about £120k.If you go to Lowestoft,ten miles to the north there are properties in the £80k range but these will be in the notorious North/South Bronx areas of the town where BTL and HMO properties abound,there is 20% unemployment and high crime rates.Mrs P taught in the SBronx and it's pretty grim.

Sorry, I was exaggerating a bit, and the directly surrounding areas like Wangford and Reydon have been pushed up a lot by the Southwold 'effect', but the prices in Southwold itself are totally out of step with anywhere else around there and (presumably) with local wages.

Where I am in outer London, you can pay £500k for a terraced house, but at least you have got the opportunity to work in central London and earn decent money to pay for it. In Southwold, the prices are the same but I am guessing that £20k would probably represent a very good salary in the area. Assuming £15k shop and bar work is nearer the average, locals would be looking at 30x income to buy that terraced house. Is that a new record?

Looking through the Durrants listing made me smile to see the ex-council houses on North Road are now over £300k as well. This always used to be looked down upon as not being part of the 'real' Southwold. Prices were much more realistic and it was pretty rough (by Southwold standards at least!). Not anymore it would seem. At least a local could buy a house here for nearer 20x salary.

Sorry, I was exaggerating a bit, and the directly surrounding areas like Wangford and Reydon have been pushed up a lot by the Southwold 'effect', but the prices in Southwold itself are totally out of step with anywhere else around there and (presumably) with local wages.

Where I am in outer London, you can pay £500k for a terraced house, but at least you have got the opportunity to work in central London and earn decent money to pay for it. In Southwold, the prices are the same but I am guessing that £20k would probably represent a very good salary in the area. Assuming £15k shop and bar work is nearer the average, locals would be looking at 30x income to buy that terraced house. Is that a new record?

Looking through the Durrants listing made me smile to see the ex-council houses on North Road are now over £300k as well. This always used to be looked down upon as not being part of the 'real' Southwold. Prices were much more realistic and it was pretty rough (by Southwold standards at least!). Not anymore it would seem. At least a local could buy a house here for nearer 20x salary.

The other thing about Southwold is that it's extremely busy and difficult to park.I guess it's simply lack of supply and bonus money getting spent on holiday homes that causes this.Places like Wangford are now so full of holiday homes that the village is dead apart from at weekends. The Southern end of Lowestoft is very pleasant and has prices about a third of those in Southwold and is all of nine miles away.That also must be some kind of a record.

The other thing about Southwold is that it's extremely busy and difficult to park.I guess it's simply lack of supply and bonus money getting spent on holiday homes that causes this.Places like Wangford are now so full of holiday homes that the village is dead apart from at weekends. The Southern end of Lowestoft is very pleasant and has prices about a third of those in Southwold and is all of nine miles away.That also must be some kind of a record.

I think it must be. Bonuses are the problem. I haven't been there for sometime, but when I dd a lot of the cars parked around South Green had Richmond/Kensington & Chelsea etc parking permits on them. I am sure a £400k terraced house seems a bargain when you are used to paying twice that at home and when your bonus was many times that anyway.

Southwold has always been a traditional second home type of place, but there is no way the standard middle class person could buy there now without selling their main home. As you say, this pushes the ghost town effect out to Wangford and eventually further. Very sad.