House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

danlee74

I've Just Invented A Time Machine

The limitation of it is that it can only go back one decade due to calculation issues (or something,... it's my game, my rules!).

As a fellow poster on an Internet forum I extend an invite to you to accompany the advance party. So, we land back in sunny UK green and pleasant lands in 2001 just as the property boom is just about to take off. What do you do?

[a] Do you go to an estate agency to buy just one property to live in?

Do you buy one to live in, and one to rent out as a "pension"?

[c] Do you buy as many as you can get your hands on and get rich beyond your wildest dreams?

[d] Do you stick with your principles and vociferously lay down your objections?

[e] Something else??!

Obviously you can have a multiple choice.

Personally I would do [a] and [d].

The limitation of it is that it can only go back one decade due to calculation issues (or something,... it's my game, my rules!).

As a fellow poster on an Internet forum I extend an invite to you to accompany the advance party. So, we land back in sunny UK green and pleasant lands in 2001 just as the property boom is just about to take off. What do you do?

[c] Do you buy as many as you can get your hands on and get rich beyond your wildest dreams?

[d] Do you stick with your principles and vociferously lay down your objections?

[e] Something else??!

It would have to be option C only, and I am happy to rent for the time being as I tend to move around a bit. As a nod to´morals/ethics I would probably sell the lot during 05/06 to try and avoid stitching anyone up to much. Preferable to all of that would be piling fully into gold (or even better ASOS shares), but I think that's not part of the game...

If I had my 2001-level savings I'd choose option [a] - I wouldn't have been able to buy any more.

With my current savings and with a 100% assured boom on the way I'd go for or [c] - probably as I'd be too worried about whether the boom actually would happen the same way.

[e] Something else??!

[e] I'd invest in mining stocks until 2007. I'd then short the crap out of the financials. I'd then go back into mining stocks around Dec 2008 with as much leverage as I could lay my hands on. Then I'd short the crap out of BP and retire to south America.

[e] I'd invest in mining stocks until 2007. I'd then short the crap out of the financials. I'd then go back into mining stocks around Dec 2008 with as much leverage as I could lay my hands on. Then I'd short the crap out of BP and retire to south America.

Id do similar. Not point getting into property, there are much easier, more profitable ways to make money when you the future.

I bought my current house in may 2001. I thought even then the prices were too high and would fall. Sorry it would be c) I don't want to be rich beyond my wildest dreams. But the security of having an independent income being able to tell your boss to F*** off instead of having to grovel would be fantastic.

I bought my current house in may 2001. I thought even then the prices were too high and would fall. Sorry it would be c) I don't want to be rich beyond my wildest dreams. But the security of having an independent income being able to tell your boss to F*** off instead of having to grovel would be fantastic.

1999 for me, it makes me sad that so many missed the boat by virtue of age

I'd prefer it didn't happen at all, the boom turned this nation into a bunch of greedy selfish amateur landlords and developers

It'd be answerb though, I don't think a lot of people realise how difficult some renters can be and I'd rather make money elsewhere

1999 for me, it makes me sad that so many missed the boat by virtue of age

I'd prefer it didn't happen at all, the boom turned this nation into a bunch of greedy selfish amateur landlords and developers

It'd be answerb though, I don't think a lot of people realise how difficult some renters can be and I'd rather make money elsewhere

+1 on the I'd prefer it didn't happen at all. Divorce is the reason I am holding a large mortgage I feel sorry for people on here waiting years to buy a house. Then next minute divorce comes along and you will wonder why you bothered. If everything goes to plan I will have paid off my mortgage in three years from now But I will have wasted 7 years of my life doing it.

I've found I don't really like the house that much now the debt repaying has been soul destroying.

[e] Something else??!

While you're doing selflessly doing [a] and I'll be doing [c] :lol:

I'd be able to do it with a completely clean conscience though. Because I'd sell out at the peak, banking my gains - well actually I'd have sold in 2005 at the optimum point and moved into gold - thereby flooding the market with properties and so be doing my bit to force prices down for the good people of the UK.

I'd be rich and a philanthropist. B)

I would choose option e,

I would do the lottery a couple of times. Search and buy the house of my dreams with my winnings. I would ensure my nearest and dearest also had houses in nice areas paid for in cash. I would also look after all those that have been good to me over the past decade.

c, but I wouldn't have bought normal houses, I'd have bought inessential stuff that rich people will pay daft money for, such as beach huts on Mudeford Sandspit. (I would never buy these without a time machine even if I was rich because of the risk the whole lot will be washed away one day by a particularly bad storm.) That way I would get rich but wouldn't feel like I was helping price normal people out of their homes quite so directly.

[e] for me. I had just turned 17 in 2001 and so would be doing my A levels. I was far more worried about spots than property values, and surely even back then I wouldn't have got a Mortgage with my 30 quid a week Saturday job.

I'd find some winning lottery numbers, buy a nice car and get laid a lot.

I've always been pretty good with money so I doubt it would get blown on useless tat. I'd also make sure my Mum, and siblings would have enough to see them through life very comfortably.

c, but I wouldn't have bought normal houses, I'd have bought inessential stuff that rich people will pay daft money for, such as beach huts on Mudeford Sandspit. (I would never buy these without a time machine even if I was rich because of the risk the whole lot will be washed away one day by a particularly bad storm.) That way I would get rich but wouldn't feel like I was helping price normal people out of their homes quite so directly.

I was offered one of those huts the other day, bought in 2006 for 70K , sold two months ago for 140K, good choice!

[e] Something else??!

Why not just take a few trinkets & sell them on if money is your aim

You could just take a usb stick with 100 films and flog em each for a mill. I'm sure the creators of avatar would rather give you ten mil than spend 100mil to make it themselves

in fact you could probably take back 100 billion quid worth of movies & software with you on a few disks.

I would choose option e,

I would do the lottery a couple of times. Search and buy the house of my dreams with my winnings. I would ensure my nearest and dearest also had houses in nice areas paid for in cash. I would also look after all those that have been good to me over the past decade.

The lottery thing wouldn't work.

You'd get diff numbers

You'd get diff numbers

It depends a lot on what the nature of the universe is (never minding that time travel might be impossible). If there is only one universe and it is always logically consistent, the outcome in the past can never be changed by going back because in a sense you would already have been there. If the many worlds interpretation is correct, you might end up going back to some completely different universe which is not causally connected to yourself, where the numbers might be different (depending how different this world was to yours).

You'd get diff numbers

You're right, this whole thread is preposterous. I need to go and have a good hard look at myself in the mirror, surely I should be doing more with my life than arguing over hypothetical scenarios on the internet :lol:

So what if there was only two choses c) or take a copy of inside game and stop the bubble from ever happening?

Edit: just worked out what I would do, I would take inside game and sell it to a banker and make even more money :lol:

I was offered one of those huts the other day, bought in 2006 for 70K , sold two months ago for 140K, good choice!

A four bedroom house 2 miles away, nice location, sold last month for £250k.

You'd get diff numbers

You may have saved me a journey :D ..

ok, I would make a fortune by slipping on a dirty vest and somehow stopping the attack on the World Trade Center and become a real life John McClane.

The trilogy film set Shag Hard 1 & 2 and finally Shag Hard with a pension will net me a small fortune.

:rolleyes:

If I had my savings (didn't have any in 2001, I'd only just started working) then I'd just buy a place for myself. I'd like to be able to use my knowledge of the future to ruin a few big supporters and benefitters of the housing boom though (not that I'd be able to in practice).