House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
red

Str V Btl

After a visit to the singing pig recently I was both amused and perplexed by the inane ramblings of 'Bill Gates.'

He seemed to be implying that STRs are behaving immorally by bailing out of the market, leaving others to suffer any capital losses in the event of a price crash.

It's not the first time I've heard people react like this - it's as though we all have an obligation to keep the market going and anyone speculating on a price drop in order to fund a better home for themselves is somehow a 'scab'; those investors who speculated and have profited from the huge gains in the market are heralded as heroes, however, despite being instrumental in pushing prices further out of the reach of FTBs. I mean, of course, BTLs.

As with Kirsty Allsopp, when she famously lost her rag on TV accusing HPC-ers of trying to bring 'misery onto millions' by simply wishing for prices to return to a modest level, I wonder how soon it'll be before homeowners and BTLs are blaming cautious FTBs and STRs for the market's demise..?

I would be very interested to know from any BTL who visits this site (or indeed the ubiquitous Bill Gates himself) what gives them the moral high ground, if at all...

After a visit to the singing pig recently I was both amused and perplexed by the inane ramblings of 'Bill Gates.'

He seemed to be implying that STRs are behaving immorally by bailing out of the market, leaving others to suffer any capital losses in the event of a price crash.

It's not the first time I've heard people react like this - it's as though we all have an obligation to keep the market going and anyone speculating on a price drop in order to fund a better home for themselves is somehow a 'scab'; those investors who speculated and have profited from the huge gains in the market are heralded as heroes, however, despite being instrumental in pushing prices further out of the reach of FTBs. I mean, of course, BTLs.

As with Kirsty Allsopp, when she famously lost her rag on TV accusing HPC-ers of trying to bring 'misery onto millions' by simply wishing for prices to return to a modest level, I wonder how soon it'll be before homeowners and BTLs are blaming cautious FTBs and STRs for the market's demise..?

I would be very interested to know from any BTL who visits this site (or indeed the ubiquitous Bill Gates himself) what gives them the moral high ground, if at all...

I thought Bill Gates was another alias of Property Guru ? either way, both deluded.

I thought Bill Gates was another alias of Property Guru ?

No - I would say that Bill Gates is actually a former poster here, Bruno Powroznik. Bruno used to be an uber-bear, and predicted that house prices would fall by 70% in July 2005.

When it became clear that wasn't happening, he has since started to aim a lot of vitriol against STRs, and has actually turned somewhat bullish.

He has also masqueraded under other names, but the common theme between all of his identities is that the writing style is always the same.

In my view both STRs and BTLs are property speculators. The former is speculating of a crash, the other of large gains.

FTBs are in here somewhere.

It's an economic not a moral issue. But STRs no doubt have the economic high ground.

Yes, of course. And as Warks Lad points out, we're all property speculators, whether BTL or STR.

But my point is that many people are taking an emotional view on it; irrational and ill-informed though it may be.