House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
General Congreve

Direct Action

I read a post posted yesterday from a Greek citizen lamenting the lies of the media over the Greek crisis in his blog, and encouraging supporters to spread the truth via direct action on social networks etc.

This led to me having a small brainwave this morning.

It can't cost much to get some stickers printed up can it? Just a nice simple very adhesive sticker with the words 'housepricecrash.co.uk' on them.

Let's say 10% of us on here did this, that's a few hundred users. Then we just go round to our local estate agents late at night and plaster up a few on their windows. Preferably Friday night, so the weekend house hunters get the best view.

You could just go for a subtle application. Maybe in the corner near some other stickers they already have in the window, to make it look official and less noticeable to the staff, or you could just go nuts and do 20+ on each estate agent.

Either way, it wouldn't take much, once a few people had seen them as they were walking past, word would soon spread around town. You could even follow up with a cynical letter to your local paper about the dreadful vandalism to estate agents windows that you've recently notices by these housepricecrash hoodlums, thereby reaching even more of the public.

A couple of weeks later, repeat the ritual! Very soon, housepricecrash will be the talk of the town and estate agents will be crying into their Next ties across the land.

Theres a lot of estate agents who have gone bust and the empty shop fronts might be a more poignant location to stick them.

Very true. They'll stay up considerably longer too, with no workers to scrub them off. In fact, why not all empty shop fronts in your town? That'll hit home pretty hard, as it'll directly associate economic decline with the futility of high house prices.

I always try to squeeze a plug in for sites 'on the side of buyers' (e.g. hpc, priced out and the homebuyers strike facebook page) in newspaper comments sections. Costs nothing, has wider coverage and spreads the word.

I always try to squeeze a plug in for sites 'on the side of buyers' (e.g. hpc, priced out and the homebuyers strike facebook page) in newspaper comments sections. Costs nothing, has wider coverage and spreads the word.

+1

I agree. If there were 20 or more (more the better!) HPC'ers, on a daily basis, that were adding Readers Comments to National Newspaper websites giving the HPC perspective on the property market & house prices (and encouraging people to wait for prices to fall 20%-30% before buying) we could reach a very large number of people right across the country on a daily basis. In effect our Readers Comments would be like a sticker campaign but just on the web. As NEO72 points out it wouldn't cost anything or need extra resources - posting a Readers Comment takes no more time and effort than posting a comment on HPC. This is something that many of us could do as we work as well as in the evenings and weekends whenever we are on the internet.

In terms of how many people we could reach you only have to look at the number of visitors/readers websites such as the Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph, The Independent, Daily Express, The Sun, Daily Mirror, etc. get each day - and many visits the sites to read Readers Comments - they are read by a wide aidience. People could also target their own local Newspaper websites.

It's a shame that we don't have a 'stickey' thread for this so that we could generate a sense of us working on this together as a group and having a thread that we could go to report the response we get from other readers, and if need be to ask for support if debate with Estate Agents, BTL'ers, etc. gets a bit intense. From experience I have to say that generally there is a great deal of support for the HPC perspective - we just need to make it more visible. We shouldn't underestimate the role sentiment plays in the market.

Also I think such a campaign would help encourage people who are adversley affected by boom time house prices to become more vocal about it - particularly in the current climate of protest and direct action by the public around the world at the moment.

I think this would include - people who would normally be FTB'ers but are priced out - but also their parents who are finding themselves having to support their (adult) children for much longer than they would have to otherwise - and also many current mortgage holders already on the property ladder but are currently priced out of moving up the property ladder.

I think it would also be useful to help make the links, through posting Readers Comments, between the credit and house price bubbles and the financial crisis - that the cost of boom time house prices has been the economy going bust with all the associated job losses, cuts to health, education, etc.

Edited by Alfie Moon

It can't cost much to get some stickers printed up can it? Just a nice simple very adhesive sticker with the words 'housepricecrash.co.uk' on them.

Not sure if the mods have read this thread yet, but I think it unlikely Fubra would want to be associated with what amounts to fly-posting or potentially criminal damage.

Not sure if the mods have read this thread yet, but I think it unlikely Fubra would want to be associated with what amounts to fly-posting or potentially criminal damage.

Yes, you probably have a good point there.

However, I think that General Congreave is right to point out that the time is ripe for direct action type activity to have an impact - ride the growing tide of unrest and anger that is brewing about all kinds of things related to the financial crisis.

We should, of course, avoid action that breaks the law.

Posting Readers Comments on Newspaper websites certainly is not in breach of the law and follows the spirit of General Congeaves suggestion of a sticker campaign.

Perhaps on way forward would be to aim for a week of action? Or even a day of action would be good with as many HPC'ers adding Readers Comments to all the national newspaper websites - and local ones if people so wished.

Car stickers would be good.... or fridge magnets.....casually place it on the fridge whilst viewing. ;)

In the social networking internet age, you propose...a sticker campaign?

He also suggests that in the 21st century world of digital fiat money people should go out and buy that barbaric relic called Gold :lol:

I read a post posted yesterday from a Greek citizen lamenting the lies of the media over the Greek crisis in his blog, and encouraging supporters to spread the truth via direct action on social networks etc.

Please oculd you leave a link to this? :)

The title of this site makes an immediate statement that people very quickly respond to in either a positive or negative way. There's no middle ground, you're either for or against what it's suggesting, unlike say the PricedOut guys.

The effects of this can be seen over on the EA Today site, where HPC has had a terrible name. I put that down to some rather brunt posters (not all from this site, but certainly some) that have been very confrontational from the outset with their comments. The view was that we are something akin to a bunch of binge drinking losers who can't save a deposit so we are bitter and need a crash to have any hopes of buying (which afterwards we'll all want prices to soar). It has taken a lot of work by Sibley's BC, Mark Wadsworth, Si1 and others to present a more informed view about this site, ie that it is primarily a discussion forum rather than an advocacy one. Also, that at our best, we can run circles round most of the bulls' arguments and provide an educated and convincing point of view that is rarely aired.

What I'm trying to say in this ramble is that any direct action is going to be met with hostility from the outset. Our more lunatic fringe can then also do more harm to the cause than good, so they need to be reined in and we need to speak with a united, firm, clear, concise, informed and polite point of view. I don't think we're at this stage yet.

Having said all that, I've often wondered what response I would get walking down the high street wearing a house price crash T-shirt with this website on the front and 'house prices are an opinion, debt is real' plastered on the back cool.gif

Edited by rantnrave

The effects of this can be seem over on the EA Today site

Do you mean

http://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/

?

That's a spoof site surely:

With stories like:

New Harry Hill company raises millions on stock market

This week, he gave a masterclass in how to make £2.5M in 5 hours.

New women-only estate agency franchise launches

A new ‘women-centric’ estate agency proposition launched yesterday in Essex. Alexandra Rose Estates has female franchisees operating as virtual agents in Brentwood, Chelmsford, Havering & Thurrock, and the North Essex area...

Bank of England bases policy on Google searches for 'estate agent'

The figures are stark enough to make their own poster campaign

House prices £73,302 £163,969

Average salary £18,396 £20,900

approx Wages to Prices 4......... 8

I know prices briefly dipped below £50k in 1995, guess the difference was even more stark then, 3 times ratio maybe?

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/historic-inflation-calculator#ixzz1PjpERzTp

Do you mean

http://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/

?

That's a spoof site surely:

With stories like:

New Harry Hill company raises millions on stock market

This week, he gave a masterclass in how to make £2.5M in 5 hours.

New women-only estate agency franchise launches

A new 'women-centric' estate agency proposition launched yesterday in Essex. Alexandra Rose Estates has female franchisees operating as virtual agents in Brentwood, Chelmsford, Havering & Thurrock, and the North Essex area...

Bank of England bases policy on Google searches for 'estate agent'

This current crop isn't their finest lot of stories. Follow the link for the last 30 items though - they've posted some pretty bearish reports for discussion.

Car stickers would be good.... or fridge magnets.....casually place it on the fridge whilst viewing. ;)

Loving the fridge idea Winkie. Not so keen on the car sticker, can just see Sibley types going bonkers and keying your car for that sort of thing.

In the social networking internet age, you propose...a sticker campaign?

There's already plenty of crash connoisseurs that prowl comments threads, although admittedly many don't mention hpc.co.uk - but often referencing a site will get your comment pulled for spam reasons anyway.

Remember your average prole is likely to spend more hours looking through shop windows than trawling comments sections on news stories. So a sticker campaign that gets in these people's normal line of sight and directs them to the internet would probably have some impact. You've then got the meme effect of the few that do go on hpc then talking to friends and family about their findings.

Edited by General Congreve

The title of this site makes an immediate statement that people very quickly respond to in either a positive or negative way. There's no middle ground, you're either for or against what it's suggesting, unlike say the PricedOut guys.

The effects of this can be seen over on the EA Today site, where HPC has had a terrible name. I put that down to some rather brunt posters (not all from this site, but certainly some) that have been very confrontational from the outset with their comments. The view was that we are something akin to a bunch of binge drinking losers who can't save a deposit so we are bitter and need a crash to have any hopes of buying (which afterwards we'll all want prices to soar). It has taken a lot of work by Sibley's BC, Mark Wadsworth, Si1 and others to present a more informed view about this site, ie that it is primarily a discussion forum rather than an advocacy one. Also, that at our best, we can run circles round most of the bulls' arguments and provide an educated and convincing point of view that is rarely aired.

What I'm trying to say in this ramble is that any direct action is going to be met with hostility from the outset. Our more lunatic fringe can then also do more harm to the cause than good, so they need to be reined in and we need to speak with a united, firm, clear, concise, informed and polite point of view. I don't think we're at this stage yet.

Having said all that, I've often wondered what response I would get walking down the high street wearing a house price crash T-shirt with this website on the front and 'house prices are an opinion, debt is real' plastered on the back cool.gif

Some fair points there.

As for the t-shirt question, I think the public's reaction will mainly depend on whether you are 6ft 5 and built like a brick sh1t house or not :lol:

Loving the fridge idea Winkie. Not so keen on the car sticker, can just see Sibley types going bonkers and keying your car for that sort of thing.

...I don't live anywhere near Maidstone thankfully....I hear property is booming...few buyers though. ;)

Yes, unfortunately direct action in the name of HPC is probably not fair on the owners for the grief they'd get.

Either way, sounds like we're missing the carboot sale, street theatre and benefit concerts..

:D