House Price Crash Forum

Blockbuster Video....can't Be Long Now.

as per title.

went in my local one tonight.empty.5 for a fiver.4 new ones for a tenner for four nights etc..two staff circa £50,000 p.a.,rent circa £20,000 p.a,rates £10,000 p.a.plus their share of warehousing/management/advertising.they've got to shift the best part of 60 sales a day to shuffle along.wonder if they're loaded up with debt?

hope I'm wrong.kinda like looking through the titles.

deflation cometh

Getting a video out for the night. How 1980's!

Streaming and On Demand services, donchaknow.

as per title.

went in my local one tonight.empty.5 for a fiver.4 new ones for a tenner for four nights etc..two staff circa £50,000 p.a.,rent circa £20,000 p.a,rates £10,000 p.a.plus their share of warehousing/management/advertising.they've got to shift the best part of 60 sales a day to shuffle along.wonder if they're loaded up with debt?

deflation cometh

Filesharing killing them perhaps?

as per title.

deflation cometh

Blockbuster shop employees on £25k a year? I think you may need to revise that downwards substantially.

I was recently signed up with their online service, complete shite, not a patch on LoveFilm, and the customer service is awful.

They seem to play silly games with returns, passing it off as delays in the post, trouble is they fukc up. You send 2 discs back in the same envelope and only one shows up as being received, which simply isn't possible.

Blockbuster shop employees on £25k a year? I think you may need to revise that downwards substantially.

With a shift system - 5 on 10k not unreasonable.

Getting a video out for the night. How 1980's!

Streaming and On Demand services, donchaknow.

Thing is a lot of places are sloooow, best I could get here for years was 120kbps. Then the exchange was upgraded and woo I get 182kb a sec tops!

I knowpeople who get even worse.

Thing is a lot of places are sloooow, best I could get here for years was 120kbps. Then the exchange was upgraded and woo I get 182kb a sec tops!

Yes my connection is deemed too slow for BT Vision, but I do download programmes from BBC iPlayer using get_iplayer (not the official client) pretty swiftly.

But tonight I was watching an old episode of The Avengers (too many christmas tree's) on Youtube. I just can't see me going out to rent a DVD. I doubt there is anything I so desperately need to see, to make me want to make the effort.

The one around the corner from me in Toronto just closed. It's a real shame as it had a huge range of DVDs (not just the current hits) and the staff knew their stuff too.

Absolute minimum staffing to keep the doors open on a small shop for normal trading hours would be £30K+

That's assuming no premium to one employee for supervising/managing doing cashing/locking up etc.

Don't forget employers have to make additional NI contributions above what staff pay as well. A member of staff on £20k pa gross actually costs the employer more than that.

Edit to add:

As a general rule of thumb for a shop (not owner run) in any half-decent location you're looking at min £250k of turnover per 1000sqft of floorspace to be left with any profit.

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

I'd imagine it's older folk who don't do internet and gamers keeping this place alive at the moment.

The one by me always looks quiet, rent must be £20k at the very least.

Surprised their still going, perhaps the publisher's/distributor's are giving them better prices and terms, not sure how the DVD/Game rental market works :huh: Commission per rental maybe?

Do people still rent out films? How quaint.

Can't see the point when you can either download them over t'internet or buy them second hand off Amazon for a few quid.

What indicates how completely fookin wrong the film industry has allowed its distribution model to go is that I'm involved in a business that sells physical DVDs but would never watch one of them and just download everything.

Not because I'm saving money but because I can't be ar5ed anymore with putting a DVD in the machine going through all the menu screens etc.

That's assuming no premium to one employee for supervising/managing doing cashing/locking up etc.

Based on my experience, most shops will have just 1 Manager and then plenty of minions, some given Cash/Keys/Closing up etc responsibilities but with no premium in return for the extra responsibilities.

My very first job was in a busy well known card chain in a prime location (The type that charges £3 for a average card) and the setup was exactly like above, despite a couple of staff assuming supervisor roles because they had keys syndrome, and still being on NMW. The manager was only in 4 days week, the minions would do her job most days.

Another job in the nightclub/hospitality industry, big chain now gone under but supervisor's and venue supervisor's were all still on NMW, and told to instead grateful because they get 50-60 hours/week instead of 20.

A large 'poundshop' type chain is exactly the same, everyone on NMW except the Manager.

400kb/s to 1.2Mb/s - no problems. 1.4Gb movie in 20-40 minutes. :D Only after midnight though.

Historically actors and musicians were not highly paid celebs, that is a recent development thanks to recorded media. The digital age is setting back the clock. Want to get paid for your work? No more working for a few hours and collecting endless royalties from the public until you die, that's over. Get up on that stage, sell tickets and earn it! :lol:

Far better for the environment too, not manufacturing all those discs and cases and shipping them all over the place only for them to be discarded in the future. Not that several PC's in every home is environmentally friendly, but it cuts out a lot of chemicals used in DVD production and all the fuel burnt shipping them about the place, so on balance probably better.

EDIT: And yes, Blockbuster is well and truly f3cked. Just a matter of time. But who knows, maybe they'll get a bailout courtesy of QE3 to help 'em tick along a bit longer .

Edited by General Congreve

while I've got my neck above the parapet,I can't beleive how many takeaways there are these days.more than estate agents.more empty shops of the future.using the same metric prob cheaper rent and rates because they're on side roads so £10k plus £5k rates.that's a lot of kebabs with a substantially higher raw material cost than blockbuster

I think you overestimate the cost of raw materials in a kebab - it really isn't that high, probably in the region of 75p for a kebab. Even a take-away pizza for 4 people is barely pushing £1.

The other problem is that blockbuster (and other rental stores) get absolutely milked by the studios and distributors. I don't know how much they charge for DVDs/Blu-rays now, but I would expect the purchase price to be £200 or so per disc. 20 years ago, the old VHS rental tapes were £100 each. There may well also be per-rental fees.

The other thing about kebab shops is that it is just so difficult to raise your turnover above the VAT limit. Whenever you look at the accounts, they always get close, but never quite over the VAT registration limit. Of course, their profitability would plummet if they did get above the VAT limit....

while I've got my neck above the parapet,I can't beleive how many takeaways there are these days.more than estate agents.more empty shops of the future.using the same metric prob cheaper rent and rates because they're on side roads so £10k plus £5k rates.that's a lot of kebabs with a substantially higher raw material cost than blockbuster

Money laundering.

Your accounts show you purchased one chicken for three pounds and turned it in to 5 curries that you sold for 6 pounds.

Congratulations, you have just laundered 27 pounds......

There was a place just down the road from where I was living in the UK. I lived at that particular address for 6 years and the 'takeaway' was open for nearly all of those 6 years. I never saw a single customer in it though.................

Can't see the point when you can either download them over t'internet or buy them second hand off Amazon for a few quid.

I'll add to this that 90% of films are sh*t anyway so hardly any point at all, really.

I feel sure I remember reading that more peoplle play games than watch DVDs or listen to music now.

Which would explain the shift in stores towards games a while back I guess.

We have the £5 a month Blockbuster service - two a month I think.

I'm still planning to take LoveFilm to Trading Standards over an issue with a gift card we were given once which never worked and was irredeemable, so wouldn't go near them.

Blockbuster's saving grace is the dreadful broadband in this country which should keep it going for a while yet (we get 6Mbps down, but that's on 3G and 7GB of that costs £25 so I don't download many movies even though it's quick enough, ADSL is useless)

Can you "rent games" online, is that what something like Steam does?

I think you overestimate the cost of raw materials in a kebab - it really isn't that high, probably in the region of 75p for a kebab. Even a take-away pizza for 4 people is barely pushing £1.

The other problem is that blockbuster (and other rental stores) get absolutely milked by the studios and distributors. I don't know how much they charge for DVDs/Blu-rays now, but I would expect the purchase price to be £200 or so per disc. 20 years ago, the old VHS rental tapes were £100 each. There may well also be per-rental fees.

The other thing about kebab shops is that it is just so difficult to raise your turnover above the VAT limit. Whenever you look at the accounts, they always get close, but never quite over the VAT registration limit. Of course, their profitability would plummet if they did get above the VAT limit....

There is definitely money to be made with fast food - so long as you can keep attracting customers. High mark-up on the goods (a pizza going for 6 or 7 pounds probably only uses a pound or so of materials) and the staff are often prepared to work for sub-minimum wages if it's cash (for obvious reasons). Judging by the amount of money spent on advertising material pushed through the door, there are still plenty of operators trying to tap this market. Main drawback, as I see it, is a successful business attracts too many copycat shops.

I can't speak for everyone, but I rent them from time to time for a whole load of reasons:

- I don't want to have to faff around plugging my laptop into the telly so as to be able to use a proper streaming service like Netflix or whatever (and I certainly don't want to spend a pile of cash buying a specific piece of kit to do it either)

- I don't want to wait 3 days to download a low quality ripoff via bit-torrent

- I like the physical act of browsing in the shop, in just the same way as I like browsing in book shops

- I don't want to wait a week for a DVD to turn up in the post

as per title.

deflation cometh

They have a cunning survival plan - under the Counter jobs ;)

I can't speak for everyone, but I rent them from time to time for a whole load of reasons:

- I don't want to have to faff around plugging my laptop into the telly so as to be able to use a proper streaming service like Netflix or whatever (and I certainly don't want to spend a pile of cash buying a specific piece of kit to do it either)

- I don't want to wait 3 days to download a low quality ripoff via bit-torrent

- I like the physical act of browsing in the shop, in just the same way as I like browsing in book shops

- I don't want to wait a week for a DVD to turn up in the post

Same here, but I satiate my hunter gatherer instincts be perusing 2nd hand shops, charity shops, cash converters, CEX etc for DVDs.

Same here, but I satiate my hunter gatherer instincts be perusing 2nd hand shops, charity shops, cash converters, CEX etc for DVDs.

Good point, I just can ar5ed though tbh!

I've been staying out of this thread because I work in the film business and it's a bit too close to home. Just to say yes, there was a time in the VHS era when studios sold VHS tapesto rental stores for £70-80, it was back when rental stores could get away with charging for membership. But those days are long gone, the bigger rental chains don't even pay for discs anymore, they get the discs for free and share the rental revenue with the studios.