House Price Crash Forum
athom

How Should We Prepare For The Coming Strikes?

Let's face it public sector strikes are going to be a big factor in our lives for the coming years not months. The cuts are going to continue at least until Labour get back in, thankfully as most people do not have sympathy with the pampered public sector Labour's support for the strikes will not help them at the ballot box so this could be a long running feature.

So what should we expect and how should we prepare?

I'm off down the local hardware store for a couple extra dustbins (no wheelie bins round here) it's a bit of a rat prone area and we needed these anyway on a bad week so it won't take much disruption to be glad we did.

I've already got spare fuel for the car and a generator for the freezer due to being a regular pessimist but don't have a clue if we should expect fuel/electric disruption?

Erm.... Seriously there must be more than that so what am i forgetting?

Edited by athom

Yeah.

Bugger off now. Before the ports and airports close down!

Nah, tried that already and came back, no place like home even if it is going down the toilet.

Let's face it public sector strikes are going to be a big factor in our lives for the coming years not months. The cuts are going to continue at least until Labour get back in, thankfully as most people do not have sympathy with the pampered public sector Labour's support for the strikes will not help them at the ballot box so this could be a long running feature.

I'm off down the local hardware store for a couple extra dustbins (no wheelie bins round here) it's a bit of a rat prone area and we needed these anyway on a bad week so it won't take much disruption to be glad we did.

I've already got spare fuel for the car and a generator for the freezer due to being a regular pessimist but don't have a clue if we should expect fuel/electric disruption?

Keep a sick bag handy for when the government back down ' For the good of the country'

Oh my word - how will we cope without those diversity officers - will we become more conformist?

How will the kids be able to play football without those games co-ordinators. Mon Dieu, the end of the world!

Oh my word - how will we cope without those diversity officers - will we become more conformist?

How will the kids be able to play football without those games co-ordinators. Mon Dieu, the end of the world!

Awww, spoilsport. I thought that this was going to turn into a classic HPC "shotgun & beans" thread.

Keep a sick bag handy for when the government back down ' For the good of the country'

Vince was on Sky news just now talking tough, "if strikes begin to effect the economy we'll have to take action", we'll see!

I think the necessity to make cuts Vs. the public sector feeling of entitlement built up over a decade of Labour and the Union leaders egomania is going to result in a pretty stiff battle of wills.

Might be a bit grim without bin collections, hospital beds, ambulances, inability to claim benefits and no schools though.

Oh I thought we all had wheelie bins now!

We've got 3, one for garden weeds (which can be composted), one for bottles, plastics ( can be stored) and a black one for non-recyclable stuff (can be burned), we have an old dustbin with holes in the bottom. I guess it would take more than 3 months to fill the black wheelie bin with ash. After 3 months I'd be putting ash in my pockets then walking around in waitrose, casually removing the pins and releasing the ash onto the floor.

Might be a bit grim without bin collections, hospital beds, ambulances, inability to claim benefits and no schools though.

Was at school during the 70's - remember it well, Labour's 3 day week, power outages, no heating (although we had a coal fire), loads of rubbish in the streets etc.

Life went on - and actually, as a kid, it was quite fun. Perhaps it will encourage people to stop relying on the state, and get off their fat arses and so something with their life.

Don't forget the inability of addicts on benefits to get an ok from the DWP for more methadone.

That'll be fun.

Was at school during the 70's - remember it well, Labour's 3 day week, power outages, no heating (although we had a coal fire), loads of rubbish in the streets etc.

Life went on - and actually, as a kid, it was quite fun. Perhaps it will encourage people to stop relying on the state, and get off their fat arses and so something with their life.

Seems to have affected your memory, the three day week was under the tories.

Oh I thought we all had wheelie bins now!

We've got 3, one for garden weeds (which can be composted), one for bottles, plastics ( can be stored) and a black one for non-recyclable stuff (can be burned), we have an old dustbin with holes in the bottom. I guess it would take more than 3 months to fill the black wheelie bin with ash. After 3 months I'd be putting ash in my pockets then walking around in waitrose, casually removing the pins and releasing the ash onto the floor.

:lol:

It's strange here, quite a well off area with lots of worthy types but no requirement to sort recycling or anything, just put the lot in bags and stick it out for the rats on Thursday

Think we'll be seeing fly tipping making a come back though, a council tip in the next county started charging and someone i know went there got charged £2 just to get in and they added up what she had (4 dismantled kitchen units) and the final bill came to £18! Never understand why people drive to beauty spots to fly tip though, easier to just dump it on the road outside your house and phone the council to report that someone has dumped some stuff outside your house. Not that i would recommend breaking the rules that are in place for public sector workers all our benefit.

Seems to have affected your memory, the three day week was under the tories.

Shut up Injin.

He's right though Enuffznuff, it was under the Tories.

(joke shamelessly stolen from Futurama.)

I've not voted as I think my answer of yes would be misunderstood as me supporting them and feeling that I'm about to lose alot of useful services.... thats bobbins, I'd only vote yes in this poll because of the last time there were strikes the roads were empty and my commute was silky smooth.

So yes it will affect me, it will make my life alot easier :D

Not getting very far with actually working out what will happen. The problem is everything i think of has been privatised already. Aren't all the bus services run by private companies? So will they be striking then? All the bin services are as well aren't they? Trains as well. So what things we use will actually stop working? They just keep showing piles of rubbish on the news.

Edited by athom

Bin collections are what really matters from that list.

But isn't that already widely outsourced to leeches who pay their staff half what the public sector used to pay?

Other than bin collections do you think strikes will effect you?

I keep thinking that people should learn the difference between affect and effect.

You expect Dave 'U-Turn' Cameron to back down?

I don't read a lot into the difference between Labour and conservatives that they have been highlighting lately. It's much easier to avoid U-turns when you're Labour spending lots of borrowed money on nice things we'd all like if we had loads of spare cash. However when you're cutting these niceties back it's much more sensible to play the "suggest 100% cuts and then actually cut 50% to look reasonable when all you wanted was to cut the 50% in the first place" game. It's par for the course that the cons appear to U-turn more than the labs.

Not getting very far with actually working out what will happen. The problem is everything i think of has been privatised already. Aren't all the bus services run by private companies? So will they be striking then? All the bin services are as well aren't they? Trains as well. So what things we use will actually stop working? They just keep showing piles of rubbish on the news.

Apart from the teachers I can't see them disrupting anything important.

3 day week was Ted Heath's era. Are you thinking of 1978/79 (Winter of Discontent)?