House Price Crash Forum
Darkman

Planning Outlaws - 4Od

"Planning Outlaws" is available to watch on 4OD. It's lighthearted, but shows the ridiculous side of planning in the UK imo.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/planning-outlaws/4od#3191199

Anyway, there it is.

Thanks Darkman. I totally missed that programme when it came out. This is the first time I hear about it.

Was it on Channel 4 itself, or in one of their others digital channels?

Edit:

10 minutes in: Up to now, at best a wasted opportunity, at worst anti-development propaganda. They have just mentioned a couple of eccentrics wanting to build on, or "decorate" pristine countryside with a single house / ugly statues. A more relevant issue should be: "There are some sheep grazing right in front of that train station. Shouldn't we allow a suburb with a few hundred family homes there instead?"

Later: German old lady: "This country is becoming like Nazi Germany"

Jim's house: building costs: £7,000. Legal defence costs: £30,000. :blink:

Around 20 minutes in, the "we fought the Romans" speech, just ... :blink:

And the end of the programme was even more stupid. Planning officer says: "come in to the council before you want to do anything, and just ask". Yeah, and they will say no. Problem avoided. :unsure:

Morons, all of them, programme makers included. :angry:

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Around 20 minutes in, the "we fought the Romans" speech, just ... :blink:

Wasn't it a shame the interviewee didn't realise every opponent he mentioned won.

And the end of the programme was even more stupid. Planning officer says: "come in to the council before you want to do anything, and just ask". Yeah, and they will say no. Problem avoided. :unsure:

The first line I read in a book on planning law said the presumption is that development is allowed. The reality is the exact opposite.

Wasn't it a shame the interviewee didn't realise every opponent he mentioned won.

And wasn't it a shame the interviewee didn't realise he is much more a descendant of all these invaders than of those original 1 million Britons?

The first line I read in a book on planning law said the presumption is that development is allowed. The reality is the exact opposite.

+ 1

Yes, thanks for posting Darkman, I think the programme was originally meant to be shown in January but was rescheduled and I missed it.

I have some local interest in the programme re Mr Harper of Shamley Green whose Granny Annexe was demolished. For him to say he was naive about the planning regs made me laugh, I would think he's fully cognisant with planning law. For the past 25 years his sport of choice seems to have been to tie up the local planners with applications and appeals to try and bulldoze his numerous schemes (locally unwanted) into effect. He's been a real thorn in their sides and I dread to think how many hundreds of thousands of pounds it's cost the local taxpayers. Give this guy an inch and he'll take a mile.

I don't think I'd have worried about the lions in the driveway were I local to them. In fact I found the front garden with its windmills and gnomes that belonged to his adversary far more objectionable :D

(...)

I don't think I'd have worried about the lions in the driveway were I local to them. In fact I found the front garden with its windmills and gnomes that belonged to his adversary far more objectionable :D

:lol:

In Blaenau Gwent joe public cant get planning. Even if joe public purchased a plot with outline planning permission he wouldn't be able to decide how he wants his house to look. If you are a councillor you can get planning to build what you want, where you want. Councillors even get grants to build certain things on land they dont even own.

In Blaenau Gwent joe public cant get planning. Even if joe public purchased a plot with outline planning permission he wouldn't be able to decide how he wants his house to look. If you are a councillor you can get planning to build what you want, where you want. Councillors even get grants to build certain things on land they dont even own.

Please inform the media and the police about it.

And inform the police that you have already informed the media.