House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vinny

Recession-proof Biz

Part of an article from the Herald sun:

“Looking after No. 1

29sep05

WOMEN have cut spending on their men and homes so they can keep shopping for themselves. Leading department store David Jones says sales of homewares and menswear have dropped but business in cosmetics and womenswear has held up.

"When household budgets tighten up, women continue to buy for themselves," DJ's chief executive Mark McInnes said yesterday.

As petrol prices soar, the company announced a small decline in store earnings in the first six months of this year.

But even in tougher times, Mr McInnes said, womenswear, accessories, footwear and cosmetics sold well -- and had continued growth.

"First to go in a discretionary environment are homewares and menswear as women stop buying for their home and their men in favour of buying for themselves," he said.

"The cosmetics section is completely recession-proof -- it's basically a commodity for women." “

More to this than at first glance?

Who’s got the spending power?

Have men started to tighten their belts and women not?

Who’s still running up the credit card bills then?

Does anyone have a breakdown of men vs women personal borrowing figures?

Also - Looking for an alternative to gold – I’m going long in lippy!

I'd say that men would generally make fewer purchases, but bigger ones ie gadgets etc...

Whereas women will buy smaller things ie lippy, but lots of them.

So pretty much even.?

I don't tend to buy much lippy personally, but handbags and shoes are a different story. :D

I'm staying out of it, I'm outnumbered on here :P

You might be outnumbered here but I hear you are a heavy-weight so thus a big hitter. :P:P:P:huh:

"The cosmetics section is completely recession-proof -- it's basically a commodity for women." “

My girlfriends in the cosmetics business and she can confirm that sales are just as good as ever.

And, let's face it, we'd sooner have them look pretty than have a new saucepan

:)

All the lasses have been seeing what you lads have to say about us on HPC.

We're not buying any more treats for you boys! :P

Kind of related (I think):

Some anthropologist did a study of the relationship between economics and the length of women's skirts since WW1. Apparantly when the economy booms, skirt lengths rise (twenties flappers, sixties minis). When times are bad, skirts become long (early 90s grunge).

I can exclusively reveal that last night when I was out buying a coat - for myself - I couldn't help notice that all the women's skirts this autumn are... floor length. :o

Anyone for housepricecrash dating service?

Hello, my name's Humphrey.

I sold my 4 bed in Chelsea to rent last year.

Currently living in a 5 bed in Mayfair, you know renting is just sooo much cheaper these days.

Gosh I even have space for the chaffeur now, no more of this hanging around when I need to go places.

And I even had some spare cash for another Range Rover, you know you just CAN'T have too many.

What would happen when dear little Penelope needs to go to the park?

Just faaaaaabulous....

Could help HPC to raise a little cash to run the servers.

Would any of the girls out there be in the least bit interested in some guy with a 6 figure STR fund?

Hehehe...

Edited by BandWagon

All the lasses have been seeing what you lads have to say about us on HPC.

We're not buying any more treats for you boys! :P

Kind of related (I think):

Some anthropologist did a study of the relationship between economics and the length of women's skirts since WW1. Apparantly when the economy booms, skirt lengths rise (twenties flappers, sixties minis). When times are bad, skirts become long (early 90s grunge).

I can exclusively reveal that last night when I was out buying a coat - for myself - I couldn't help notice that all the women's skirts this autumn are... floor length. :o

But is not buying cosmetics and lingerie _not_ buying for a man? After all who are you trying to impress at work with the war paint pastered on and a string up your bum?!? :lol::lol::lol::P