House Price Crash Forum

What Is A Fair Price For A Small Terrace?

HOLA441

What would you say was a fair value for a small terrace in South East England? At the moment in my area they're still around £120k+

That appears cheap for the SE. I saw a 3 bed newish detached 3 bed in my Outer London Council for £145k as seen in my local free giveaway newspaper, am seriously thinking of buying it to get rid of my 35 year old lad once again returned after another partnership break up. :(

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

MADNESS.

People and the media act as if it is normal for the 2-up, 2-down built for a few hundred pounds half a century ago to be a quarter of a million (or more).

As a con-trick, transfer of wealth from the naive or greedy it has been masterful.

HOLA443

MADNESS.

People and the media act as if it is normal for the 2-up, 2-down built for a few hundred pounds half a century ago to be a quarter of a million (or more).

As a con-trick, transfer of wealth from the naive or greedy it has been masterful.

Here's one of the Richmond ones: with the extension I guess you could swing a hamster without too much trouble:

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=6153946

HOLA444

MADNESS.

A 2 up, 2 down ex docker`s house in the LB of Greenwich which the area was formerly known as Blackwall has just been sold and completed for £400k. Front door is straight out on to the pavement and the rear garden is big enough to cut the grass with shears, bought by a young City Lad from his bonus. :rolleyes:

HOLA445

Well, lets see at the other extreme what is mega CHEAP. I posted a while ago 2 Kilos of silver could buy a farm with land, livestock and serfs to work on it. Today that'll easily be £1m. That 2 Kilos of silver costs under £2000. Could that wealth transfer happen? Who knows.

HOLA446
HOLA447

'Renters from the bank' in York are under the impression they are worth between £120 and 160k, as a significant cash buyer I'm of a mind that they are worth what I would pay which is between £80-100k but if Greece goes then the rest of the PIIGS go followed swiftly by Germany and France-Euro gone then the knock on GBP and USD then all bets are off and maybe a sovereign ;)

HOLA448

'Renters from the bank' in York are under the impression they are worth between £120 and 160k, as a significant cash buyer I'm of a mind that they are worth what I would pay which is between £80-100k but if Greece goes then the rest of the PIIGS go followed swiftly by Germany and France-Euro gone then the knock on GBP and USD then all bets are off and maybe a sovereign ;)

80-100? I'm amazed at how many people on this thread are ignoring the traditional drivers of house prices and just knock a bit off the insane current prices and call it a a reasonable price? Hello!!! We're talking small terraces and you think 6 times the kind of 15K salary of a typical small terrace dweller is what the market will do next? Or maybe when you say "worth what i would pay" you are declaring your willingness to pay twice what the market value will more logically be when prices get back in line with lending?

HOLA449

80-100? I'm amazed at how many people on this thread are ignoring the traditional drivers of house prices and just knock a bit off the insane current prices and call it a a reasonable price? Hello!!! We're talking small terraces and you think 6 times the kind of 15K salary of a typical small terrace dweller is what the market will do next? Or maybe when you say "worth what i would pay" you are declaring your willingness to pay twice what the market value will more logically be when prices get back in line with lending?

Didn't you get the memo? Mortgages are calculated from household earnings now. The working class has been replaced with the benefit class.

HOLA4410

No, we're talking York here, the well paid jobs in Leeds commute from there, so the supply demand equation says to me even after the collapse is in full swing that York terraces will go for more than national average. Also when I first moved there 10 years ago they were £60k'ish so after 10 years normal price inflation you could expect £80-100 now. Although only when I come to buy will I put a definate value on the one place I do buy and only at the moment of completion.

HOLA4411

No, we're talking York here, the well paid jobs in Leeds commute from there, so the supply demand equation says to me even after the collapse is in full swing that York terraces will go for more than national average. Also when I first moved there 10 years ago they were £60k'ish so after 10 years normal price inflation you could expect £80-100 now. Although only when I come to buy will I put a definate value on the one place I do buy and only at the moment of completion.

There are well paid jobs in Leeds? I'm damned if I'm seeing many advertised recently. Still some people still expect to get close on £100K for their crappy terrace in a dodgy part of Leeds (not too many takers though). Compared to that the York prices don't seem so bad.

HOLA4412

2.5 times salary of an individual's wage.

I dont think you should even pay the long term historic average of 3 - 3.5x salary, as everything else is so much more f@@@@g expensive.

[Plus demand a bailout from the banks and government, for the tens upon tens of thousands which has been systematically stolen from you, in rent for over a decade.

Cause lets face it. We would all have gotten onto the ladder years ago, if our government had not acted with criminal incompetence, manipulating house prices to fraudulently rise by 300% in a decade. With an orgy of Cheap Credit.

Wouldnt we?]

Instead, the Fascist bastards continue to deny a section of society, the right to Private Property. Turning them into Slaves.

Burning down your local MP's house down would seem an appropriate response to such undemocratic governance.

Edited by Dan1

HOLA4413

Colleague about to buy a 2 bed terrace in Hanover, Brighton for £240k.

Not a fair price IMO and he says the price 'is ridiculous, but fukit'. Him and OH been saving for 6 years, plus donations from relatives of around 8k.

Incidentally my sister just sold her place in Hove for £220k, £5k under asking price. 1 bed flat with reasonable size garden. Bought for £46k around 1996.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Incidentally my sister just sold her place in Hove for £220k. 1 bed flat with reasonable size garden. Bought for £46k around 1996.

Proof of how our fascist government have completely failed us.

Edited by Dan1

HOLA4416

Well, lets see at the other extreme what is mega CHEAP. I posted a while ago 2 Kilos of silver could buy a farm with land, livestock and serfs to work on it. Today that'll easily be £1m. That 2 Kilos of silver costs under £2000. Could that wealth transfer happen? Who knows.

It's the cost of allowing bankers (as in lawfully mandated banking (by Baron shareholders/house of Lords) to corrupt and apply excess usury on UK population) to conjure up money from the ether applying their alchemy without a physical metal/real wealth to back up their promises.

(The reason UK Taxpayer has been held to ransom when they bankrupted themselves/the system recently - they have nothing in banks to back up their lies with and got caught out when it all went tits up!)

They would not be able to lend corruptly to force up the prices of our housing if they were tied to - say a gold standard.

We would be instantly back to 2x house price mortgage over 16 yrs like in the 30's!

By the way - reason Cameron is fiddling pensions and extending age limits is to keep the cash flowing around in the City longer - so they can take more out in excess charges and fees.

Think about it!

Edited by erranta