House Price Crash Forum
Pezerinno

What Is A Fair Price For A Small Terrace?

What would you say was a fair value for a small terrace in South East England? At the moment in my area they're still around £120k+

It's whatever you are prepared to buy at, and what they are prepare to sell at.

What would you say was a fair value for a small terrace in South East England? At the moment in my area they're still around £120k+

It isnt fair but you need to add about 50-60k to that for a 2 bed here, am guessing that you are closer to the coast than london?

Okay so I should have worded it differently. I'm curious at what price HPCers would be prepared to pay for a 2 bed terrace (assuming that what would wanted to buy). Yes I'm on the coast Number79. I was thinking around £75k.

That seems pretty good to me. How many houses is a small terrace as that would obviously affect the price per house :P

OK - so I'm central London (zone 2, south of the river). We don't really have any 2bed terraces, so I'll go with the local equivalent, a 2 bed maisonette. I think that that should be a starting property for a young couple who don't yet have any kids, but are thinking maybe in a couple of years (2bds gives them approx 5 years before wanting to move). Lets take a salary of 35k and 25k for this imaginary 28-30yr old professional / semi-professional couple, and allowing for stretching a touch when starting out take 3.5 x 1st salary + 1 x 2nd salary gives a mortgage amount of (35*3.5)+25 = 147.5. Add a 15% Deposit and you get approx £170k. Actual Price? 350-400k - so I reckon a 50% fall is what is due...

Lucky you. In the Chichester - Arundel area, depending on location and size, it can go from £170k all the way up to £300k.

Depends on the area and the rental value. In my area you'd be looking at £150,000 - £160,000.

They rent for £750 p/m max; assuming a fair yield of 8% then maybe fair value is £110,000, one could argue for less.

OK - so I'm central London (zone 2, south of the river). We don't really have any 2bed terraces, so I'll go with the local equivalent, a 2 bed maisonette. I think that that should be a starting property for a young couple who don't yet have any kids, but are thinking maybe in a couple of years (2bds gives them approx 5 years before wanting to move). Lets take a salary of 35k and 25k for this imaginary 28-30yr old professional / semi-professional couple, and allowing for stretching a touch when starting out take 3.5 x 1st salary + 1 x 2nd salary gives a mortgage amount of (35*3.5)+25 = 147.5. Add a 15% Deposit and you get approx £170k. Actual Price? 350-400k - so I reckon a 50% fall is what is due...

A 2 bed flat in east dulwich, also zone 2, is a bit cheaper...

More seriously, here's how to work out the fair value:

Work out what sort of job the typical working person would have who would be living in such a place. Multiply that salary by 3.5, and voila, you have your answer.

Are we confusing "fair" and "realistic"? It doesn't really matter what the average teacher or traffic warden earns in somewhere like Camden or Islington - the price of a house there is always going to be prohibitive.

Are we confusing "fair" and "realistic"? It doesn't really matter what the average teacher or traffic warden earns in somewhere like Camden or Islington - the price of a house there is always going to be prohibitive.

....one mans trash is another mans treasure. ;)

No. Where do they live? In Cambden or Islington? What sort of house/ flat / hovel in Cambden or Islington? Or do they live somewhere cheaper?

surely a 'key worker' could get housing benefits to live there?

Lucky you. In the Chichester - Arundel area, depending on location and size, it can go from £170k all the way up to £300k.

You could always move to Portsmouth ;)

Edited by Pezerinno

250k in Guildford - 230k if just outside

I'm a couple of miles outside the Town Centre and asking prices here at 250k+

Just down the road two new developments of three bed terraces have asking prices of 370k :o

Beyond belief, I can't really understand why prices are so high here.

More seriously, here's how to work out the fair value:

Work out what sort of job the typical working person would have who would be living in such a place. Multiply that salary by 3.5, and voila, you have your answer.

Not credible in affordability terms though. That's the sort of calculation that was being used when IRs were 10-12%. How realistic is that as a pricing guide when fixed-rate mortgagesof 3-5% are available (albeit at high LTVs). I reckon round me 140K would be reasonable in the current market.