House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm Spartabear

Sponging Time

Currently working abroad but looks like thats about to end. Job situation back home is not looking good so what would we be entitled to? We don't have a mortgage on our home and 3 teenage kids. To conteract any abuse that will surely come,before I left I was an IT contractor and paid a lot of tax.

Currently working abroad but looks like thats about to end. Job situation back home is not looking good so what would we be entitled to? We don't have a mortgage on our home and 3 teenage kids. To conteract any abuse that will surely come,before I left I was an IT contractor and paid a lot of tax.

Just Google "benefit calculator". How much did you earn as an IT contractor :o

Surely you know that those that pay most into the system receive the least, count your blessings :angry:

If the kids are in full time education and you and your spouse work over 16 hours per week you'll be entitled to a few quid.

(Regardless of savings, as working tax credits and child tax credits are not means tested)

If the kids are in full time education and you and your spouse work over 16 hours per week you'll be entitled to a few quid.

(Regardless of savings, as working tax credits and child tax credits are not means tested)

and family allowance of £47.10 per week

there used to be agood site called entitled to .org but its changed its name now I think, try googling it and have some fun with the online calculator. You may quickly realise that the less you get paid, the better of you could be.............. crazy!!!!

Rent your house out on the sly and get the state to house you and your family in a large mansion, Also, get the state to pay themselves by applying for council tax benefit.

Get working tax credits even though you don't work, pretend you have a sore back and claim incapacity benefits & housing benefits aswell as getting your water bills subsidised.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU GET A JOB. You will end up poorer, stressed out and the most precious thing, your time, will be taken from you when it would be better spent drinking stella, shouting at your kids and kicking your wife down the stairs.

innit.

We don't have a mortgage on our home and 3 teenage kids.

Did you have a mortgage on the kids previously?

I always said that I need a mortgage to pay for ours where can I get me one of those :lol:

Rent your house out on the sly and get the state to house you and your family in a large mansion, Also, get the state to pay themselves by applying for council tax benefit.

Get working tax credits even though you don't work, pretend you have a sore back and claim incapacity benefits & housing benefits aswell as getting your water bills subsidised.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU GET A JOB. You will end up poorer, stressed out and the most precious thing, your time, will be taken from you when it would be better spent drinking stella, shouting at your kids and kicking your wife down the stairs.

innit.

Jesus, where did I go so wrong in life when with a bit of planning you can have it all :lol:

If you have any savings then you need to find someone you can trust to look after them for you. If you've got over £16k then you won't get benefits. You can still get tax credits but if your recieve over £300 in interest from savings (IIRC) then they'll affect how much you get. IIRC they assume something like 20% return on savings when working out how much to reduce your benefits.

If you can't trust anyone then buy gold or withdraw lots of cash and keep it in a safe (or two). Sure the cash will lose value but it's either that or have all your (paid for) benefits taken away.

Another thing worth noting is that any tax credits are assessed on your previous years earnings so

If you earned £50K or equivalent last year and this yeear you drop to say £20K then you will have to wait 12 months for your tax crdeit to come into line with your £20K earnings. You will have to declare what you earned in a particulatr tax year even if it was overseas, you have to convert it to a £ equivalent value. I know cos I have just done it.

You might want to phone / email the CAB. I've a nasty suspicion that if you've been working abroad you might not have any entitlements, & if in the EU and you've been paying local Social security taxes you might have to claim off them. It all gets very complicated, and if you know in advance you might be able to take pre-emptive steps like sending the missus home first to start re-establishing residence.

On this sort of thing it's also worth posting to the Benefits section of the MSE forum - they've got people on there who have worked in benefits offices for years who are perhaps better placed to give advice than HPCers (including me!)

You might get nothing.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313047

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/LivingintheUK/DG_4000140