House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Bbc And Public Sector Pension Reform

Is the BBC pension scheme considered part of the public sector pension schemes? On breakfast the presenter seemed quite worked up interviewing the politician.

Is the BBC pension scheme considered part of the public sector pension schemes? On breakfast the presenter seemed quite worked up interviewing the politician.

No of course its not. It's the magic of working for a company that is funded as a public organisation but remunerates itself as a private organisation. Only in the UK is this farce allowed to perpetuate.

Don't forget to pay your annual subscription fee. Or you get put in jail.

No of course its not. It's the magic of working for a company that is funded as a public organisation but remunerates itself as a private organisation. Only in the UK is this farce allowed to perpetuate.

Don't forget to pay your annual subscription fee. Or you get put in jail.

Listening to Radio2 yesterday I though Vine gave Balls a hard time..... not as much as I would...... but he wasn't leaning left that's for sure

Is the BBC pension scheme considered part of the public sector pension schemes?

No it isn't. It is funded by licence fees and not general taxation. It is not affected by the current proposals (although its benefits were cut back last year).

No it isn't. It is funded by licence fees and not general taxation. It is not affected by the current proposals (although its benefits were cut back last year).

Are you saying that the license fee is not taxation? I think it most certainly is.

Are you saying that the license fee is not taxation? I think it most certainly is.

I guess it's arguably an indirect tax on watching TV, like VAT.

The key point here though is that the BBC Pension Scheme is not affected by the current proposals, and is not funded in the same way (i.e. it actually IS funded with a real pot of assets built up by licence fee money and scheme members' contributions, unlike teachers etc pensions which are paid on a weekly basis from general taxation).

I guess it's arguably an indirect tax on watching TV, like VAT.

The key point here though is that the BBC Pension Scheme is not affected by the current proposals, and is not funded in the same way (i.e. it actually IS funded with a real pot of assets built up by licence fee money and scheme members' contributions, unlike teachers etc pensions which are paid on a weekly basis from general taxation).

Regardless of whether the pension comes out of a pot or not, it is still paid for by taxation. You can't say that because the BBC has not spent some of the money and instead put it into their own pension pockets that somehow its not been pinched from the public purse. In fact, that's even worse! That money was paid for by the public for making programmes, not feathering the beds of those retiring.

Like I said, you get thrown in prison if you don't subscribe to the BBC's services. That's functionally indistinguishable from taxation.

So ... back to my original point which you disputed with this distractionary line of argument; the BBC happily lance public sector pensions while conveniently forgetting that they too are public servants whose remuneration is long overdue an overhaul.

Like I said, you get thrown in prison if you don't subscribe to the BBC's services. That's functionally indistinguishable from taxation.

No you don't. You only get thrown into prison if you receive live, broadcast terrestrial television (whether from the BBC or not) without paying the BBC a fee. If you do not receive live, broadcast terrestrial television in your home, you will not be thrown into prison if you decline to pay them any money. By the same token, that is why excise duties are not technically the same thing as taxes. For example, you do not have to pay Vehicle Excise Duty if you choose not to own a vehicle.

I am not defending the licence fee (in particular, I find the legal obligation to pay the BBC for permission to watch its rivals' output especially indefensible), but it is not the same as general taxation. General taxation is taxation that everyone has to pay, regardless of services received. For example, you have to pay income tax even if you receive no social security and receive no NHS treatment.