House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Mainstream "comedy"

Just sitting through and enduring Mock the Week...Hugh Dennis (and perhaps Dara O'Brien) are the only best things about it...what's happening with comedy?...The best thing about at the moment is probably Curb Your Enthusiasm, which can be truly fantastic... British comedy really has gone down the plughole...

Try Stewart Lee's comedy vehicle. A series just finished on BBC2. Not sure if it'll still be on iplayer.

Some kind soul has put at least some of them on YouTube.

Yeh that Stewart Lee thing was good (sometimes)

I liked Lead Balloon - the first three series, now it's on BBC2 it doesn't seem as subtle.

There's always Ideal & Angry Boys on BBC3.:)

Thank God I paid for the TV licence by direct debit , long live the BBC!

I don't think the 2nd series of VC is as good as the first, even though Chris Morris directed it. I've also heard good things about Limmy's Show. I've seen a couple of episodes, which has its moments, but I'm not completely convinced by it...

One of the funniest things in recent years was Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe. But nothing lasts forever.

I know it's not British comedy, but my wife and I recently discovered "Everybody Loves Raymond". Very funny.

I like "Lead Balloon" also. Is it uncool to like "Outnumbered"?

For me the most underrated British comedy of recent years is "Early Doors".

I'm still somewhat of a youngun so these might not be to your tastes.

Arrested Development (my absolute favourite)

Peep Show (my second favourite)

IT Crowd

Inbetweeners

Archer

Flight of the Conchords

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Spaced

Trailer Park Boys

Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe

Charlie Brooker's Newswipe

Charlie Brooker's You have been watching

Charlie Brooker's How TV ruined your life

Charlie Brooker's Nathan Barley

And of course Black Adder, Red Dwarf and Father Ted.

Inbetweeners

Definitely Inbetweeners. "Thorpe Park" and "A Night Out in London" are hilarious.

No 4th series but a movie in August. I'll be off to see that for sure.

"At home with the flynns" is new and imo not very good.

Saw about five minutes of it...fairly dreadful, as is lightweight BBC sitcoms, such as The LIfe of Riley, My Family, Mrs Brown's Boys and the appalling Big Top...

Just sitting through and enduring Mock the Week...Hugh Dennis (and perhaps Dara O'Brien) are the only best things about it...what's happening with comedy?...The best thing about at the moment is probably Curb Your Enthusiasm, which can be truly fantastic... British comedy really has gone down the plughole...

A decade of new labour happened to it. They were funny when in opposition, when they had a cause to poke fun and take the piss. A decade stagnating in a power position plays hell with it though, now they are mostly just opinionated labour toadies with a strangle hold on the media that prevents genuinely funny folk coming through.

Shame.

Saw about five minutes of it...fairly dreadful, as is lightweight BBC sitcoms, such as The LIfe of Riley, My Family, Mrs Brown's Boys and the appalling Big Top...

My family has had it's good points ... but has gone on too long.

Mrs Brown's boys is horrid.

Life of Riley is vile.

Big Top - not even seen that one.

I think that decent comedies have always been fairly thin on the ground, it's just that you forget about the rubbish in the past, just remember the good stuff, and forget that it doesn't add up to anywhere near a lot of good comedy every week.

Curb is amazing.

Trailer park boys is brilliant. Though you have to watch a few of them first before you get it. Well worth it.

Peep show and in betweeners are also good shouts.

My family and Raymond are nice examples of cheesy popular comedies - that can actually be pretty good.

The two series that I've enjoyed recently and yet very few people seem to have seen are 'How not to live your life' and 'Modern Family'.

The former was on BBC3 but I watched it recently via web streaming sites. It is a very simple sitcom starring comedian Dan Clark - you'll either hate him or p!ss yourself laughing.

The latter is a USA sitcom, recently being shown on freeview (one of the sky channels I believe), but I also watched this via the web. It's by the same writers as Frasier, a really nicely observed family dynamic comedy.

+1 for Peep Show, best UK comedy in a decade.

Curb is amazing.

Trailer park boys is brilliant. Though you have to watch a few of them first before you get it. Well worth it.

Peep show and in betweeners are also good shouts.

My family and Raymond are nice examples of cheesy popular comedies - that can actually be pretty good.

I didn't know the Americans could actually make some really intelligent comedy...stuff that rivals the British...Most American pap is either a rehashed British idea or some Friends clone...

Big Top had that twerp Amanda Holden in it...and Tony Robinson, which I was surprised at...

The two series that I've enjoyed recently and yet very few people seem to have seen are 'How not to live your life' and 'Modern Family'.

The former was on BBC3 but I watched it recently via web streaming sites. It is a very simple sitcom starring comedian Dan Clark - you'll either hate him or p!ss yourself laughing.

The latter is a USA sitcom, recently being shown on freeview (one of the sky channels I believe), but I also watched this via the web. It's by the same writers as Frasier, a really nicely observed family dynamic comedy.

+1 for Peep Show, best UK comedy in a decade.

Yep very funny. Two very fit birds in it as well. You seen the one where he tries out being gay :lol: genius.

And the one where he goes on the camping trip with all the kids. Pishing myself.

I didn't know the Americans could actually make some really intelligent comedy...stuff that rivals the British...Most American pap is either a rehashed British idea or some Friends clone...

Big Top had that twerp Amanda Holden in it...and Tony Robinson, which I was surprised at...

Aye and Trailer Park boys are from Canada. Not exactly known for their comedy either.

Never seen big top - may have to have a scan.

Yep very funny. Two very fit birds in it as well. You seen the one where he tries out being gay :lol: genius.

And the one where he goes on the camping trip with all the kids. Pishing myself.

Aye and Trailer Park boys are from Canada. Not exactly known for their comedy either.

Never seen big top - may have to have a scan.

Believe me, you don't want to bother... :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/6711646/Big-Top-BBC-One-review.html

I know it's not British comedy, but my wife and I recently discovered "Everybody Loves Raymond". Very funny.

I like "Lead Balloon" also. Is it uncool to like "Outnumbered"?

For me the most underrated British comedy of recent years is "Early Doors".

Yes, for early morning television Everybody loves Raymond is pretty good. Did have Peter 'young frankenstein' boyle in it though.

Yes, for early morning television Everybody loves Raymond is pretty good. Did have Peter 'young frankenstein' boyle in it though.

Ah! That's where I've seen him before.

I think that decent comedies have always been fairly thin on the ground, it's just that you forget about the rubbish in the past

There have been many, many average to dismal, forgotten comedies over the years (forgotten by all except the likes of me).

Morris Minor's Marvelous Motors

Wyatt's Watchdogs

Two Up, Two Down (Paul Nicholas, Sue Pollard)

Tripper's Day/Slinger's Day

The Cabbage Patch

Full House (Not the US version)

Don't Drink the Water (On the Buses spin-off)

The Fuzz

Lucky Feller (David Jason)

The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs (David Jason again)

Astronauts (written by Bill Oddie and Grahame Garden)

Not with a Bang (in which Judith Hann wipes out humanity)

Backs to the Land (similar to Land Girls in setting)

Yanks (overpaid, oversexed etc.)

West End Tales (one of many failed Robin Nedwell series)

The Climber (Robin Nedwell again)

Divided We Stand (took the "split house" theme from an episode of Steptoe to its unfunny limits)

Screaming (one of many unfunny Carla Lane stinkers)

Comrade Dad (it's 1999 and the USSR runs Britain)

Come Back Mrs. Noah (Mollie Sugden on a space station)

Mixed Blessings (interracial marriage causes much "hilarity")

Spring and Autumn (Jimmy Jewell)

Dear Mother.... .Love Albert (Rodney Bewes's now largely forgotten sitcom)

The Upchat Line/The Upchat Connection

Spooner's Patch

Devenish

And that's just a tiny fraction of the output of UK TV over the past 50 years.