House Price Crash Forum
exiges

Retail Sales Collapse -1.4%

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=256

Over the period April 2011 to May 2011 retail sales volumes decreased by 1.4 per cent and value also decreased by the same amount. Possible reasons for the decrease in May are consumers cutting back due to the economic climate, for example increasing fuel prices and uncertainty over job prospects and pay. This decrease follows strong growth in April as a result of the extra bank holiday, royal wedding and warm weather.

Yes but as we were told yesterday, consumer confidence is at its highest!

I think consumers are now confident that they will be consuming much less in the future.

They were so obviously going to collapse this month as people spent a lot last month during the bank holidays. I even predicted it! (I was right B)) I dont know why these forecasters can't take that into account. Maybe they are just so desperatly hoping that last months jump was the recovereh that they didn't dare forecast a big drop.

They were so obviously going to collapse this month as people spent a lot last month during the bank holidays. I even predicted it! (I was right B)) I dont know why these forecasters can't take that into account. Maybe they are just so desperatly hoping that last months jump was the recovereh that they didn't dare forecast a big drop.

The market expected a 0.6% drop. It came in at -1.4% after the previous month's 1.1% rise.

The market had the direction, but not the magnitude, right.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/06/16/uk-retail-sales-idUKTRE75F1OP20110616

1.4% drop in sales volume from last month, but a 3.8% increase in 'value' compared to last May.

Well, seems the BoE are doing a wonderful job. They are adding 'value' to sales even as volume is dropping. Who said inflation was bad?

I don't think there is any 'could' about it. We have the city hiring excessively paid developers to create software to replace excessively paid banksters and shift excessively paid admin staff offshore. The city has had so much money thrown at it and all it could maage to do was create more problems for itself. Meanwhile the rest of the country suffers inflationary and devalutionary rot in wages, earnings and savings. An abject failure - a repeat performance of past failures that will worsen the lives of 10's millions to benefit no more than a few million - going to be mayhem in the higstreet sector again very soon.

High inflation could have 'disastrous consequences' for UK, economists warn

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8575966/High-inflation-could-have-disastrous-consequences-for-UK-economists-warn.html

http://www.statistic...gget.asp?id=256

Over the period April 2011 to May 2011 retail sales volumes decreased by 1.4 per cent and value also decreased by the same amount. Possible reasons for the decrease in May are consumers cutting back due to the economic climate, for example increasing fuel prices and uncertainty over job prospects and pay. This decrease follows strong growth in April as a result of the extra bank holiday, royal wedding and warm weather.

Viva Sectora Privata!

We're all saved.

Friend of mine who owns a chippy was saying last night that takings are down. People have cut back on what they are ordering or are just not ordering.

Lots of lunchtime business from local businesses has either gone down or stopped altogether due to those businesses going bust.

He is stressed.

Viva Sectora Privata!

We're all saved.

We are all doomed. The die is already cast.

We can have a smaller crash now or a bigger crash later. There is no solution that avoids some form of crash.

And from FT Alphaville: It's the Olympics!

Then again…
… could May’s weakness be explained by the farcical Olympic tickets sale process? Nomura seems to think so. Although it’s not much more positive than Archer on the rest of the year.

What are these retailers thinking?

They need to copy the local tanning shop in Chester and stick two fish tanks in the window to dangle your feet in for the tiny fish to suck.

This is on top of three other foot sucking fish shops that have now sprung up in Chesters' retail twilight zone.

People may not be able to afford shoes in this depression, but at least their feet will be sucked into shape for walking :rolleyes:

The other craze for shop start ups is psuedo - ye olde sweet shops. Three in 6 months have arrived in Chester. Few customers in them, so I suspect an ill advised splashing of redundancy money to prop up the obesity crisis.

Unfortuneatley, Chesters' long standing pound shop just quit without a fight, as soon as The chain Poundland arrived. Soon to be another council Potempkin shop.

Viva Sectora Privata!

We're all saved.

The non-financial private sector will recover when its input costs (especially rents and taxes) fall and its debt servicing costs decrease through deleveraging (e.g. High Street pirate equity bankruptcies). Some of these things are happening, but the rate has been dramatically slowed down by ZIRP. It's not the private sector's fault it can't recover, the government is holding back the necessary conditions for recovery which would otherwise come about on their own.

The other craze for shop start ups is psuedo - ye olde sweet shops. Three in 6 months have arrived in Chester. Few customers in them, so I suspect an ill advised splashing of redundancy money to prop up the obesity crisis.

Or banks spewing out their (government mandated) lending on the high street - any mug that wants to start up on the high street and take up their offer of loans is doing them a favour - it raises the artificial demand for commerical real estate which the banks are knee deep in themselves as they gave up funding business years ago when they jumped on the property bubble.

Edited by OnlyMe

YOu know when things are bad when companies you have not purchased from since 2000 call you up trying to sell!

I thought I was the only one! A company I did business with in 1997 phoned me up yesterday asking if I was interested in buying some stuff off them!

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=256

And so it begins. I belive the turning point was Wednesday 8th June for some reason. Just a gut feeling.

Here is the likely scenario over the next year:

See my siggy

I thought I was the only one! A company I did business with in 1997 phoned me up yesterday asking if I was interested in buying some stuff off them!

You can't beat the Data Protection Act and it's "only keep data as long as necessary" clause.

As to the OP maybe if retailers stopped hiking prices week on week and absorbed some of their unit costs (Greggs coffee up 16% in one week!!) they might not have been so dire. Economics 101 in action.

And from FT Alphaville: It's the Olympics!

Then again…
… could May’s weakness be explained by the farcical Olympic tickets sale process? Nomura seems to think so. Although it’s not much more positive than Archer on the rest of the year.

Perhaps it was the BGT final, or the couple of windy days we had in May, or maybe it was due to the month beginning with the letter "M"? :rolleyes:

Honestly, economists are the worst kind of charlatans.

coffee shops seems the way to go in my town...they're all packed!

and card shops...the mark up is huge apparently and I have to have a triple by-pass every time my wife turns up with cards to cover every possible relationship permutation between family members when its a birthday or christmas. arrrghhhhhhhh!! why not just have an auntie's day and uncle day to go with the other days so that we can all spend our way into oblivion and keep the local economy alive. Grrrrrrrr :angry: :angry:

Edited by DoctorJ

coffee shops seems the way to go in my town...they're all packed!

and card shops...the mark up is huge apparently and I have to have a triple by-pass every time my wife turns up with cards to cover every possible relationship premutation between family members when its a birthday or christmas. arrrghhhhhhhh!! why not just have an auntie's day and uncle day to go with the other days so that we can all spend our way into oblivion and keep the local economy alive. Grrrrrrrr :angry: :angry:

We do online cards--my wife uses Jacquie Lawson for a cheap annual subby and it saves a fortune. The quality is excellent too! All part of my bit to cut back on spending and trigger off a monster HPC:

http://www.jacquielawson.com/

Firms that supply things to rich people are doing OK. Retailers need to go upmarket where the money is being sucked up.

Luxury fashion brand Mulberry, which numbers the likes of Kate Moss and Cheryl Cole among its fans, has reported a 358% jump in pre-tax profit to £23.3m.

The label, best known for its handbags, including a line named after model and TV presenter Alexa Chung, increased its like-for-like sales by 43% in the year to the end of March.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Mulberry-Defies-Slump-To-Bag-skynews-1905011159.html;_ylt=A03uvPEU7vlNWisBNVHSr7FG;_ylu=X3oDMTE4a3JwaDA4BHBvcwMzBHNlYwN5ZmlUb3BTdG9yaWVzBHNsawNtdWxiZXJyeWRlZmk-?x=0

We do online cards--my wife uses Jacquie Lawson for a cheap annual subby and it saves a fortune. The quality is excellent too! All part of my bit to cut back on spending and trigger off a monster HPC:

http://www.jacquielawson.com/

Nah.. I do understand the reasoning behind physical cards; receiving a physical thank you note is much better than an e-note.

Cost of postage aside, I do not see any reason why the cost per card should exceed 50p. Unless one has a very hectic social schedule and / or huge family, the card budget should be in the region of £30 pa. Hardly the straw that breaks the camel's back, is it?