House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

InvestmentByker

So Apparently Its Easy To Get A Uk Visa Then?

I have been browsing this site since 2006/7 and I know there are more than a few bright sparks who, if my memory serves me correctly, may have worked for the UK Border Agency..(I have already tried the UK Border Agencies website).

I need some help...

Essentially my Partner is expecting our first child. I am a UK resident and have always lived in the UK. She lives in South America. As I am the dad I thought it would make getting her a visa pretty easy but it seems not.

All I need to know is how can I get her Indefinite Leave to Remain? What are the chances of getting that before the baby is born (7 months away)?

The facts:

She speaks good English. University Educated

I have enough money to demonstrate I can support us (house deposit :-) )

I am a higher rate taxpayer (so I will be zero burden on the UK taxpayer depsite contributing more than my share over the years)

I rent accomodation

Private Health Insurance

My ideal situation is that I get her ILR so we can live together here in the UK. If this has very little chance of succeeding what are my options?

1) getting her a 6 month visa and then deliberately overstaying?

2) marrying her - I would prefer to do this at a later point tbh?

Any ideas?

I have been browsing this site since 2006/7 and I know there are more than a few bright sparks who, if my memory serves me correctly, may have worked for the UK Border Agency..(I have already tried the UK Border Agencies website).

I need some help...

Essentially my Partner is expecting our first child. I am a UK resident and have always lived in the UK. She lives in South America. As I am the dad I thought it would make getting her a visa pretty easy but it seems not.

All I need to know is how can I get her Indefinite Leave to Remain? What are the chances of getting that before the baby is born (7 months away)?

The facts:

I am a higher rate taxpayer (so I will be zero burden on the UK taxpayer depsite contributing more than my share over the years)

I rent accomodation

Private Health Insurance

My ideal situation is that I get her ILR so we can live together here in the UK. If this has very little chance of succeeding what are my options?

Any ideas?

I had all of the above and it took us 9 years to get a ILR sorted. We only got married about 3 years ago though. They will probably give her a provisional 2 year visa and then if you can prove that you are living together etc. you can go for the ILR. Keep all your bills etc. It is madness - we have a kid but still needed to provide utility bills etc to prove that its not a sham marriage.... She'll also need to do the citizenship test before the ILR is granted.

I had all of the above and it took us 9 years to get a ILR sorted. We only got married about 3 years ago though. They will probably give her a provisional 2 year visa and then if you can prove that you are living together etc. you can go for the ILR. Keep all your bills etc. It is madness - we have a kid but still needed to provide utility bills etc to prove that its not a sham marriage.... She'll also need to do the citizenship test before the ILR is granted.

thanks

come to think of it I just need her to be able to get over here for a year or two (any kind of visa) so we can sort things out. Essentially its a choice of her giving birth here or me flying half way across the world for paternity leave.

she doesn't need to work or anything like that.

So I understand that a 2 year visitor/provisional visa shouldn't be that hard then?

Yep.. it's way too easy.

Just marry her.. linky

Then you'll need a SET(M) linky

Then apply for citizenship.

Job done.. whole process takes about 3 years start to finish.

She'll also need to do the citizenship test before the ILR is granted.

Not necessarily.. you can also just get a letter from a college instead.

Its actually very easy to do. My GF is Canadian and weve been through the whole process

- get her onto the unmarried partner visa

- stay on this for 2 years

- apply for ILR

simples!

Oh, but make sure you are able to prove you have lived together for the past 2 years as you can only get the unmarried partner visa if you have. If not dont even bother trying.

My recommedation is to use someone like Medivisas who are immigration lawyers to review and process your application not some visa firm (loads advertised on internet on fixed price / no win / no fee) which employs form filling morons who have no feckin idea about the immigration laws when things go tits up (as the invariably do with UKBA).

The facts:

I rent accomodation

Private Health Insurance

Any ideas?

Get married FFS. Otherwise, what's the obvious conclusion? You want to get her UK residence but want to leave your options open so you can dump her as a single mother on the state if you get bored with her? You are asking her to relocate thousands of miles to a different continent and culture - if you haven't the certainty to commit then don't do it!

Any ideas?

My wife's a foreigner so have been through this.

Get her a 6 month visa then overstay :blink: - what is the plan there then? Make sure she cannot get back into the country in the future when you dump her? Just marry her FFS or dump her. If you are committed enough to have a child with her you are committed enough for marriage.

The process is reasonably straightforward though there is a fair amount of paperwork. When she goes for the permanent residency after 2 years of puking wailing child marital bliss you'll need to prove you were living together which generally involves ensuring she is on all of the bills too. You need to show a selection of evidence over the 2 year period so it is a bit of a pain in the **** saving everything.

Anyway best of luck.

Marriage.

Get the paperwork completed, and fully read and understand the guidelines (all on their site).

Keep lots of records.

There are a couple of 'trick' clauses like you have to be in the country for x days as well as on the day 1 year before the application for some things - so make sure that is provable.

Oh - and you have to pay them. Again and again and again. Thousands of pounds.

Have the kid in the uk if possible... might want to go private for that though :D

My wife's a foreigner so have been through this.

Get her a 6 month visa then overstay :blink: - what is the plan there then? Make sure she cannot get back into the country in the future when you dump her? Just marry her FFS or dump her. If you are committed enough to have a child with her you are committed enough for marriage.

Anyway best of luck.

It is just that I would like to marry her in good time rather than rush it through purely for immigration purposes. It kind of cheapens the whole thing. Plus I still need to get her a Visa for the UK in order to get her across here to Marry her.

It is just that I would like to marry her in good time rather than rush it through purely for immigration purposes. It kind of cheapens the whole thing. Plus I still need to get her a Visa for the UK in order to get her across here to Marry her.

Tough. They don't give a shit about romance, only paperwork.

Don't mean to sound rude - but if you go in there smiling about how lucky you are that you have found your life partner, they will stomp on you, and her, chew you up and spit out the weeping remains. Specially the 'naturalised' ones... ;)

Tough. They don't give a shit about romance, only paperwork.

Don't mean to sound rude - but if you go in there smiling about how lucky you are that you have found your life partner, they will stomp on you, and her, chew you up and spit out the weeping remains. Specially the 'naturalised' ones... ;)

So the fact that her baby will have British Citizenship doesn't mean sxxx when it comes to her living here?

Are 2 year (non-work visa's easy to get?

Fair enough. But for crying out loud do not, under any circumstances, do something which may imperil her chances of getting a visa in the future. Follow the damn rules. There is a shedload of paperwork and hassle involved doing it by the book, don't complicate things by pissing them off.

The link you want is here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partnersandfamilies/

I'd strongly advise you read it carefully and contact them as necessary, rather than ask random strangers on a internet forum. Every case is unique and I would contact them for advice. Explain what the situation is and ask what your options are.

Best of luck.

Edit: Just to make it clear, she isn't going to get ILR before the kid is born.

So the fact that her baby will have British Citizenship doesn't mean sxxx when it comes to her living here?

Are 2 year (non-work visa's easy to get?

IIRC her baby will not have British Citizenship. Nowadays citizenship is conferred only by the mother. You do not count I'm afraid.

Marry her.

Just get her to break the law and then when they try and deport her plead the human rights act for a "right to family life"...

Just get her to break the law and then when they try and deport her plead the human rights act for a "right to family life"...

I wouldn't do that, but it is worth mentioning to the OP that the right to a family life means that she shouldn't have problems staying here, unless they have good reason to believe your relationship is fake.

I wouldn't do that, but it is worth mentioning to the OP that the right to a family life means that she shouldn't have problems staying here, unless they have good reason to believe your relationship is fake.

I am not a big fan of breaking laws but like many things in Britain it seems that it is the easiest and most reasonable way of doing things.

Thanks for the adivse - I have now set up a consultation with an immigration Lawyer.

clearly get married, you are having a kid together and you plan to stay together... why wouldnt you get married, unless you think you will split up. The big personal question is how did you get together in different countries and why are you having a kid together when you are currently apart, it all seems a lttle odd, I hope it is legit for yours and your kids sake? A telling sign is you don't want to get married yet, that sends of personal warning bells... The biggest issue you potentially face is your kid, makes it simpler if your child is legally board in the UK.

My missus is also from overseas (we met in the uk), married for 2 years.

IIRC her baby will not have British Citizenship. Nowadays citizenship is conferred only by the mother. You do not count I'm afraid.

Marry her.

Actually it would be conferred if the mother is married to the father who was British by birth (i.e. by being born in Britain to at least one parent at least settled here). If the father was British by descent the child would be entitled to being registered British.

However, as the OP isn't married to the expectant mother, I don't know what the mother will be able to say to the local UK Embassy to ask for a UK birth certificate for the child when born. She can't even legitimately claim to have been living continuously with the OP.

As I understand it from a quick Wiki check just now, since 2006 it hasn't mattered whether the parents were married or not. But that still means, I suppose, something like two DNA tests to prove the OP's paternity. How long would that all take?

Motto: try getting married before having children, or creating the possibility of having children. It makes things much more settled (no pun intended) all round.

Be a man.

Get married.

Easiest. It's basically just a piece of paper.

If you're concerned that she'll leave you after she has citizenship and take half your money, you will find in some SA countries they have prenups built into the registration documents (unlike most other parts of the world). Worth looking at.

If you are worried about commitment.. a divorce is very easy to get these days.

If you are worried that you want your wedding to be "special".. sign the registration documents in SA and then just have a ceremony and reception back in the UK whenever you feel ready.

Also.. you could consider living in SA.. great part of the world.

Finally.. I'd be certain it's definitely yours before you do any of this!

As I understand it from a quick Wiki check just now, since 2006 it hasn't mattered whether the parents were married or not. But that still means, I suppose, something like two DNA tests to prove the OP's paternity. How long would that all take?

Jeremy Kyle manages to get them during during the ad break.

1 kid or 20 kids, visa or amex, ILR or IMF, naturalisation or pasturisation, I don't care. All of that will sort itself out. If you guys are strong enough together you'll stay together.

Don't get married have 20 kids under any circumstances until you are ready to do so.

Done 'n' dusted ;)

Finally.. I'd be certain it's definitely yours before you do any of this!

Touché! Don't expect the OP to thank you for it though!!

Touché! Don't expect the OP to thank you for it though!!

I nearly suggested broaching the subject of abortion... then thought better of it

tumbleweed.gif

Nephew of Mr B's married a Venezuelan. They had a civil wedding first, then a couple of years + a baby later had a blessing in church, which TBH was much more like a wedding: lovely white dress, bridesmaids, lots of guests, reception.

Not sure the nephew would have been bothered on his own account but she's a Catholic and wanted to do it 'properly'. And I have to say it was a lovely day.