House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Northern Rock To Be Sold

The auction of Northern Rock is expected to raise about £1bn, which is less than the £1.4bn the government injected into the bank, although not all of it is to be sold.

Listened to R4 - Mr Darling was on - who used to have his mortgage with Northern Rock. I assume from his embarrased muttering that he has paid off his mortgage and didn't want to say thank you to the tax payers who enabled him to do so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13783724

Yes, who's actually in a position to buy NR? Another bank that's already been bailed out by the UK government?

Am i being pessimistic to think that this is more obfuscation by the UK government?

Yes, who's actually in a position to buy NR? Another bank that's already been bailed out by the UK government?

Am i being pessimistic to think that this is more obfuscation by the UK government?

...no I gather they are looking for more competition between the banks so want a new buyer....but they still expect to make profits from the existing loans....what would be interesting to know is what is in it for the new purchaser? ;)

Haha do we even have competing banks anymore? Do they need to compete? What with the cushion of the tax payer and their ability to printeh printeh credit at will...

For sale - one bucket of shit, ex the shit, so basically a bucket, in which to pour more taxpayer money (directly or indirectly). Also £1.4bn is not the cost of keeping this crappy little lender bender in the style in which it has been accustomed.