House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GBdamo

Joss Stone

Prompted by the other thread and a recent trip accross Europe. I had one of those auto tuning headsets in my helmet that would grab onto the strongest FM signal. Anyhow Joss Stone was on twice an hour, right accross europe. Yet in the UK she's ignored?

What's up did she not suck satans [read:- Cowell] **** [jesus that said c o c k, what is this a f u c k i n g kindergarten?]?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv2qLOiioPc

She is cute too :)

She was pretty famous for about 6 months years ago, then buggered off to America to work with 'real' blues artists and came back with a load of americanised blues/r&b that doesn't make sense over here. In the mean time there have been countless other nice, middle-class, white girls singing soulful music for people to buy into instead.

Sorry.

She was pretty famous for about 6 months years ago, then buggered off to America to work with 'real' blues artists and came back with a load of americanised blues/r&b that doesn't make sense over here. In the mean time there have been countless other nice, middle-class, white girls singing soulful music for people to buy into instead.

Sorry.

Very true but, annoying devon-american accent aside, I still believe she has the best soul voice this country has produced in decades. Who else has there been of her calibre? The only ones who comes close are Winehouse (seriously unbonable) and Duffy.

As for the white middle class bit, does that really matter? We do have some messed up class attitudes in this country.

I'm always fascinated by how these people get famous. They literally come out of nowhere, I guess on some kind of muisc publicity machine, hang around for a few years or until they get old and then the next lot arrive.

One of the good things as Google Trends gets older is that you can now start to see when the gestation occured.

A good example

Never heard her songs, but maybe she's too good. This country does idolise Cheyrl cole afterall, who by no stretch of the imagination can sing, could ever sing or will ever be able to sing.

She can barely even speak english.

She has no depth.

Nice voice, but so f'ing what?

Doesn't make her Nina Simone.

I was listening to her yesterday on youtube and can see what you mean but she does have an exceptional voice not just nice. She also tends to oversing a song in my opinion and her timing is pretty naff.

I wonder, if she was a drug addled skank whore then maybe she'd be in the papers with her tits hanging out every week. Is it just that she has no media pull.

I wonder, if she was a drug addled skank whore then maybe she'd be in the papers with her tits hanging out every week. Is it just that she has no media pull.

Your probably right. She just has nothing that stands out. Her voice is good but not great (it tends to be a bit too shouty for my liking), her songs are forgettable and she is nothing extraordinary in the looks department. Also, she doesnt whore herself to the media like Jordan etc do. All IMO of course

Yet in the UK she's ignored?

She has no criminal record.

She has not hump-shunted half the workforce of the Premier League (or at least if she has, she's done so discreetly).

She has not appeared on any TV show, the sole purpose of which is to show people behaving offensively.

She does not have a drug or alcohol addiction (or at least if she does, she has also been discreet about it).

She sings in a genre that is not mainstream pop and that tends to attract a more selective and highly educated audience.

She markets herself as a musician as distinct from a sex symbol.

I suspect that the above are also part of the reason why what sounds like an organised and carefully planned attempt on her life for robbery targeted her and not more mainstream celebrities, who probably have much more in the way of a personal security infrastructure.

Her music isn't catchy and her voice doesn't endear the listener, IMO

Not as vocally impressive as Mariah Carey or Leona Lewis

Not a pop princess like Kylie or Ellie Goulding

JS is generic averageness...much like a lot of other female singers out there - Pixie Lott, Dido, Paloma Faith, Eliza Doolittle, etc... Mariah Carey constantly warbles up and down the scale...drives me potty...at least Kylie has the nouce to constantly alter her image..

The best female act out there at the moment, is probably PJ Harvey...

at least Kylie has the nouce to constantly alter her image..

What??? She changes the colour of her hot pants. Kylie has been selling her, delightful none the less, ass her whole career

The best female act out there at the moment, is probably PJ Harvey...

Only technically., but she is good.

What??? She changes the colour of her hot pants. Kylie has been selling her, delightful none the less, ass her whole career

Only technically., but she is good.

Well she went pop, then during the middle and latter 90s, she went Indie (I believe she was knobbing Nick Cave at the time too), then went back to pop...obviously she couldn't do the same pop than she did during the late 80's, although some in the business feel that they can still get away with that...

She sings in a genre that is not mainstream pop and that tends to attract a more selective and highly educated audience.

Erm what? Joss Stone is about as mainstream as it gets. MOR ersatz soul designed for American serials.