House Price Crash Forum
pl1

Bbc Newsbeat Blasted For Employing 52 People

Bought The Sun today, ostensibly because it was 25p cheaper than The Daily Mail which is traditionally crap & full of ads on a Wednesday, was pleasantly surprised. Not full of the juvenile truff that it used to be and quite a good read, jam-packed with articles. One caught my eye where the BBC has been blasted for spending a fortune hiring 52 people to make Newsbeat at extraordinary cost (even by BBC standards), where in-between shows the staff quite literally just "sit idle".

No online article but found this or Google something like "bbc moneywasters 52 staff newsbeat"

BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 should consider introducing a combined management structure and operations, a report into the workings of the two stations recommended on Tuesday.

The review said money was being wasted on studio managers who were being used as a "comfort blanket" by presenters on some Radio 2 shows to operate basic equipment that DJs normally operate

themselves.

It also criticised Radio 2 for employing newsreaders who read a brief hourly news update but then did "little else until the next hour's bulletin".

The review questioned whether Radio 1's Newsbeat programme, which broadcasts a 15-minute bulletin twice a day – as well as hourly news updates – needed to employ 52 full-time staff, and said compliance

procedures tightened up in the wake of the "Sachsgate" scandal had run out of control.

Edited by pl1

That's nothing. The worst case of public sector employment inefficiency I can think of is the Tay Road Bridge in Scotland. According to the official website:

Bridge Staffing:

The Board employs 36 staff comprising the Bridge Manager, 2 administration staff, 15 operational staff, and 18 maintenance staff.

http://www.tayroadbridge.co.uk/

Yup. A toll-free road bridge in Scotland employs 36 people.

The BBC's newss duplication is also worthy of note. They (famously) had more people covering the US election than any other broadcaster, US included. This was partly because every news show/channel had to send their own guys and gals in to get their angle.

Newsbeat is blatant cr*p anyway, all they need is someone to browse the website and pick out a couple of tidbits now and again.

Just don't give them your money, end of.

I was just about to ask if the bridge has a webmaster then I saw the latest news on its homepage:

'Click Here for Notice of the Audited Accounts of the Tay Road Bridge Joint Board for the Year Ended 31 March 2010'

That's nothing. The worst case of public sector employment inefficiency I can think of is the Tay Road Bridge in Scotland. According to the official website:

Bridge Staffing:

The Board employs 36 staff comprising the Bridge Manager, 2 administration staff, 15 operational staff, and 18 maintenance staff.

What, you'd rather there were no staff and it fell down due to lack of maintenance?

Edited by efdemin

Newsbeat is horrendous. I feel my IQ dropping away whenever I hear it.

I know Radio 1 is all about the younger audience (I used to love it) but it seems so dumbed down these day that it's disgraceful.

Mind, that's true of the majority of BBC news output.

Bridge Staffing:

Surely a bridge can be managed by the council or highways agency or whoever looks after these things... a whole team dedicated to one bridge in case it develops a faulty? F*** me that's ludicrous.

Compare with the Forth road bridge

How many staff are employed at the Forth Road Bridge?

Normally around 70, but this increases during the period April to October when around 10 additional painters are employed on a temporary basis. Staff responsibilities include bridge maintenance, traffic management and administration.

http://www.forthroadbridge.org/about-us/about-us-faqs

Humber bridge = 85 staff

http://www.humberbridge.co.uk/explore_the_bridge/board_business.php

These things often cost in the region of £500 million to build, assuming a 5% yearly maintenance cost thats £25 million, which is equivalent to employing 500 people on £50K per year

Ironically I was searching Google for this story and found this link - it's actually a big story but has received little attention. It's shocking to think that 52 are employed full time to produce what is basically drivel - Radio 1 appears to be targeted at 12 yr old's these days - but then perhaps it always has been.

Ironically I was searching Google for this story and found this link - it's actually a big story but has received little attention. It's shocking to think that 52 are employed full time to produce what is basically drivel - Radio 1 appears to be targeted at 12 yr old's these days - but then perhaps it always has been.

Radio 1 is funny. They try and target themselves at young indy trendies, yet traditionally people in factories listen to it.

There should be one bridge crew for the whole country , with a few technical guys going round to every major bridge and checking for issues (Issues that cannot be fixed by a local council or road authority).50 people for each major bridge is a joke.

52 staff for 2 15 min programmes???

How are private sector broadcasters sopposed to compete with that?

:unsure:

You're not telling me that it would take 52 people to produce a superior product? As someone has already mentioned, all you need is one (wo)man with a radio voice and access to a news website.

You're not telling me that it would take 52 people to produce a superior product? As someone has already mentioned, all you need is one (wo)man with a radio voice and access to a news website.

;)

Isnt this old news, even the spoof twitter commented on it:

http://twitter.com/#!/andyfakeparfitt

Its a crazy amount of people for such a poor product, not that im into the news. Apart from the 2 15min shows a day i cant see why they would need more than the one newsreader to get onto google news. let alone have a different reader for the sports.

Bridge Staffing:

If you look at their accounts, you'll see they spent 225,000 pounds on Advance Warning Signs which is public sector speak for bog standard road signs warning of a bridge ahead. I doubt they would need more than 100 signs, even if one sign cost a huge amount like 200 pounds to manufacture that's still only 10% of the quoted cost of the signs.

Besides I doubt they have 100, more like only 10.

This tells you all you need to know as to how efficiently public money is spent in government. This is the kind of wastage which is systematic in a government that don't give a shit about it's people and let immigrants take 90% of jobs.