House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
exiges

Uk Raises Annual Payment To Imf By £9Bn

The UK is to increase its subscription to the International Monetary Fund by more than £9bn a year - almost doubling the amount it lends the organisation.

It currently provides £10.54bn a year, reflecting the size of the UK economy.

The increase follows the G20 group of economies agreeing to raise the IMF's overall lending capacity after debt crises in Greece, Ireland and Portugal.

Interest paid on loans from the UK means taxpayers will not lose out, a Treasury source told the BBC.

The scale of the increase emerged in a piece of secondary legislation from the government laid before Parliament on Tuesday.

'Very concerned'

Conservative MP Douglas Carswell said: "I'm appalled to see at a time of cutbacks at home, at a time when many constituents are worried about cuts in public services in the UK that we're doubling the amount of subscription that we pay to the IMF."

"I'm very concerned that the government tried to announce this, not by standing up in the Commons and telling us that it was spending the money in this way, not by having a debate to allow MPs to question the wisdom of doing this but by slipping it through when no-one was looking with a written statement.

"We're talking about an enormous sum of money. We're talking about the equivalent of 1.5p on income tax. I think a lot of people will be quite shocked to discover that we're increasing our subscription to the IMF in order to bail out the eurozone."

But a Treasury source told the BBC: "Any suggestion that the UK taxpayer faces additional costs is wrong.

"We are lending money from existing foreign exchange reserves to the IMF on which they pay interest to us. It has no impact on our borrowing whatsoever."

The UK is to increase its subscription to the International Monetary Fund by more than £9bn a year - almost doubling the amount it lends the organisation.

The increase follows the G20 group of economies agreeing to raise the IMF's overall lending capacity after debt crises in Greece, Ireland and Portugal.

Interest paid on loans from the UK means taxpayers will not lose out, a Treasury source told the BBC.

The scale of the increase emerged in a piece of secondary legislation from the government laid before Parliament on Tuesday.

'Very concerned'

Conservative MP Douglas Carswell said: "I'm appalled to see at a time of cutbacks at home, at a time when many constituents are worried about cuts in public services in the UK that we're doubling the amount of subscription that we pay to the IMF."

"I'm very concerned that the government tried to announce this, not by standing up in the Commons and telling us that it was spending the money in this way, not by having a debate to allow MPs to question the wisdom of doing this but by slipping it through when no-one was looking with a written statement.

"We're talking about an enormous sum of money. We're talking about the equivalent of 1.5p on income tax. I think a lot of people will be quite shocked to discover that we're increasing our subscription to the IMF in order to bail out the eurozone."

But a Treasury source told the BBC: "Any suggestion that the UK taxpayer faces additional costs is wrong.

"We are lending money from existing foreign exchange reserves to the IMF on which they pay interest to us. It has no impact on our borrowing whatsoever."

I am sure RBS felt the same when they lent all that money to Marriott.

We have a deficit.

It's money we could use to pay down our deficit so we don't have to borrow.

Why don't we have an offset account?

Just goes to show how much is resting on Greece et al not failing. If they do fail then it's a short ride to saying goodbye banks, goodbye savings, goodbye pension funds, goodbye economy, goodbye currency etc.

So quick, double the annual payment to the IMF so they can bail them out, even though we can't afford it.

Snake eating its own tail.

A sensible precaution IMO.

If labour get back in at the next election then we'll need as many friends as possible at the IMF.

Keep the good news coming, the sooner we burn through the money we do have (none) and the money we don't have (Merv's funny money) the sooner we reach the end game.

I'm ready; Gold, guns and a sock full of snooker balls, just to show I care...

Uh, uh, what if they dont pay us back then? Or what if the currency we lend in becomes devalued by hyper-inflation?

I suggest to the Treasury source that the UK taxpayer is facing additional costs.

Keep the good news coming, the sooner we burn through the money we do have (none) and the money we don't have (Merv's funny money) the sooner we reach the end game.

im the DADDY round here mkayyy

Feckin ell. I thought we paid a few hundred million to the UN and got membership of NATO, WMO, World bank, IMF, UNICEF etc etc

So thats £10bn to IMF

£11bn foreign aid

£15bn EU fee

£45bn in lost EU excise and import duties

I think i could fix the deficit in a few minutes.

Yep, no reason to complain. Reason to celebrate if anything. Just an extra brick on the debt default accelerator! B)

http://www.imf.org/external/np/exr/facts/sdr.htm

The SDR is neither a currency, nor a claim on the IMF. Rather, it is a potential claim on the freely usable currencies of IMF members. Holders of SDRs can obtain these currencies in exchange for their SDRs in two ways: first, through the arrangement of voluntary exchanges between members; and second, by the IMF designating members with strong external positions to purchase SDRs from members with weak external positions. In addition to its role as a supplementary reserve asset, the SDR, serves as theunit of account of the IMF and some other international organizations.