House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quine

Annoying Text Messages

Just arrived back in the UK this week and put my good old Virgin SIM card in my phone only to be greeted, within the hour, by

"Free msg: government debt help available, those struggling to repay can apply to have debt writtn off. To apply for more infor text Yes or opt out txt STOP" (from a 07526 number)

Today I've just received another text "You still have not claimed the compensation you are due for the accident you had. To claim reply CLAIM or opt out text STOP (from a 07938 number)

I'm a bit concerned to send STOP messages to these pests but wonder if anyone knows what's going on and how I can stop. (Don't want to change my number..it's been my one and only mobile number and I've never had problems before).

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2010/03/19/virgin_mobile_spam_fine/

There are instructions elsewhere that might help but I have no experience of them.

I would get a different sim from a different provider.

I got that one about the accident I didn't have, not once but about half a dozen times....I changed my provider as you recommended......how low can some companies go, disgusting. ;)

I've had the accident one too...FFS, my car accident was 18 months ago and it was partially my fault. I got a good payout on my written off car - I'm not greedy.

These data leaks are shocking. Only today I read about an NHS laptop that has been stolen but wasn't reported stolen for three weeks (probably while the overpaid gimp was trying to find it, think up an excuse). It contained 8.5 million (yea 8.5 million) individual patient records including details on millions of hospital visits and procedures. Oh and it was all unencrypted.

I got that one about the accident I didn't have, not once but about half a dozen times...

Are you sure you're just not very unlucky/accident prone?

I've had the accident message twice now (I'm on Vodafone).

I phoned Virgin who say they would never sell or pass on customers details in the UK. They told me that I should reply to the text messages with STOP. Apparently I won't be charged for this and the company must stop (yeah yeah).

Virgin seemed to be aware of these scams because they told me if I had replied "CLAIM" - which was the second option offered II would have received lots of calls which I would have been charged for. All sounds a bit strange.

Are you sure you're just not very unlucky/accident prone?

I've had the accident message twice now (I'm on Vodafone).

:lol: how can it be stopped, I can't carry on living like this. ;)

From a site I found.

Reporting

You may be report these messages to your provider. The following links may help:

Vodafone – How do I report spam text messages? Forward the spam message to VSPAM (87726).

Orange – Stop spam text messages. If you are on Orange and get spam messages, please forward them to 7726 free from your Orange phone. By doing this you are helping Orange to collate information to help reduce spam messages being sent to you and others.

02 also allow you to report on 7726. See: SPAM and unwanted subscription texts

I would also try forwarding the message onto 7726 if you are with T-Mobile or Three.

You can also try NumberCop and DoNotCall.gov

LINK

Thanks Bart - good information on that site and so glad that I didn't follow Virgin's "advice" and reply STOP to the spammers.