House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monkey

When Is Your Own Time, Actually Your Own Time

This is hypathetical, obviously.

say you go on a 2 day business trip paid for by your company, its proffitable for the company working away.

they put you in a hotel as its too far to commute for those days.

you do your alotted days worth of work on day 1, with the rest to do on day 2 and travel back home. after work on day 1 you decide to go on a bike ride, you then fall off and injure your self badly, (your own fault, no one else to blame) meaning you can not work for a considerable length of time (8 weeks minimum). can you be disciplined as this is company time as you have gone away for work, paid for by your work. or does your own time in this case mean your own time like it would if you didnt work away.

Did you have a cycle helmet on? Having took all reasonable precautions, ie: being sober, then it's what we call an accident. It didn't happen in the workplace did it?

Don't see how they can discipline you for this. Speak to your union.

Did you have a cycle helmet on? Having took all reasonable precautions, ie: being sober, then it's what we call an accident. It didn't happen in the workplace did it?

Don't see how they can discipline you for this. Speak to your union.

its not me, thankfully. all safety precausions were taken, and IMO it was an accident,

it was not during working hours, or at the place of work, it was on a public cycle way

oh and we are not in/have a Union.

its not me, thankfully. all safety precausions were taken, and IMO it was an accident,

it was not during working hours, or at the place of work, it was on a public cycle way

Then (at least as far as I'm concerned) it's got bugger all to do with work even if they are paying for the accommodation.

I guessed that.

I would suggest ringing the most suitable union and asking they can join.

The line my employer takes is that if you're away on a trip that is principally on their business, but you combine it with some personal business as well, then their travel insurance covers you for the whole duration. I have to be scrupulous about separating out receipts and only claiming for stuff I would have claimed if the trip had been purely business (obviously and rightly). But if, for example, the trip was for a two-day meeting, I spent day three visiting a friend in the area and flew home on day four, then if I was hit by a bus on day 3 I'd still be covered for medical expenses. I presume that most employers operate a similar system.

When on business trips abroad years ago, the only time that was really my own was time spent sleeping. A day working was followed by an evening schmoozing and networking. I think an accident during any of that time would be considered an "at work" incident.

The line my employer takes is that if you're away on a trip that is principally on their business, but you combine it with some personal business as well, then their travel insurance covers you for the whole duration.

We're covered all year round, even on personal trips.

While they don't have to be that flexible, I don't really see how a company could claim that their insurance stopped covering you the instant you left your remote work site to go back to the hotel.