House Price Crash Forum
exiges

Royal Mail To Sack 20,000

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-mail/8575070/20000-Royal-Mail-workers-face-the-axe.html

Tens of thousands of Royal Mail workers face the threat of losing their job after the company reported a £120 million loss in its letters and parcels business following a huge slump in the number of people sending post.

Royal Mail is good value for money, but have you ever had to deal with staff from a sorting office? Militant Jobsworths the lot of them..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-mail/8575070/20000-Royal-Mail-workers-face-the-axe.html

Royal Mail is good value for money, but have you ever had to deal with staff from a sorting office? Militant Jobsworths the lot of them..

I can get a 6 cubic foot 25kg parcel picked up and delivered for £5.95+vat via www.parcel2go.com

Just image the price you'd get turning up with that at the post office and putting it on the scales :lol:

mind you i have no clue how they make a profit on that or how long it will last.

I can get a 6 cubic foot 25kg parcel picked up and delivered for £5.95+vat via www.parcel2go.com

Just image the price you'd get turning up with that at the post office and putting it on the scales :lol:

mind you i have no clue how they make a profit on that or how long it will last.

You mean after you've had to use your car (because you can't carry the box) to fight through town centre traffic to pay for a space in the local overpriced car park then queued for 20 mins ?

Completely outdated service

My local Royal Mail sorting office's interestingly titled 'customer service' service counter has a sign that says 'for attention ring bell ONCE!'

On each visit I ensure I fully depress the button anywhere between three and ten times. I might accept that reception at an A+E department, dealing with trauma victims, might have more important things to do than dealing with the public's queries but, if you're a service whose primary function, these days, is shoving unwanted Domino's pizza flyers and local council's 5-a-day pamphlets through people's letterboxes, simultaneously, it's all a bit much.

Occasionally, my incontinent bell button depression has elicited mumbles of 'can't you read?' but, they all seem to have cottoned on that this only leads to responses of 'you can't ever seem to be able to read my no junk mail sign' etc.

Letters are dead, they are going the same way as the telegram.

Although it doesn't help them having to deliver mail from competitors under cost. Now how came up with that idea?

Its about stealing from the state, buy assets below the market price, let teh tax payer fund it, run it down and sell it.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the last postal strike encouraging large numbers of people to switch to electronic bills and the like. Just people switching from paper to electronic tax returns to avoid the risk of late filing charges due to strikes probably eliminated a million or more letters.

It comes as no surprise that any new sorting equipment has to be vetted by the union incase it makes some people's jobs..well nonjobs, because computers, conveyor belts, smart camera's, software and the like do it for them.

They still have too many mail centre's. Warrington is a good example of how RM can consolidate regional Mail Centre's such as Liverpool, Crewe, etc. Therefore they have more volume and greater ROI for sorting equipment because they have huge volumes of mail, rather than equipment for EACH mail centre.

2.jpg

The main things the post service does nowadays is junk mail and monthly bills. But over the next decade we'll see most companies like banks put a monthly fee on sending out a physical monthly statement. So most people will switch over to electronic billing.

Its another large employer that 20 years from now is going to employ hardly anyone.

And the prize for oxymoron of the month goes to...

mil·i·tant  (ml-tnt)

adj.

Having a combative character; aggressive, especially in the service of a cause: a militant political activist.

job·sworth (jóbz wùrth)

noun 

U.K. petty bureaucrat: a minor official who insists on following regulations to the letter, especially with the intention of being deliberately obstructive ( informal )

How are they contradictory terms? Tautology if anything

I write software that lets my customers quote and invoice their customers with PDFs via email, en masse. Saves them a packet in time, postal costs and hassle.

A friend used to work in the Royal Mail; theft by the surly staff is widespread. I am happy to help nudge such an organisation to the brink.

mil·i·tant  (ml-tnt)

adj.

Having a combative character; aggressive, especially in the service of a cause: a militant political activist.

job·sworth (jóbz wùrth)

noun 

U.K. petty bureaucrat: a minor official who insists on following regulations to the letter, especially with the intention of being deliberately obstructive ( informal )

How are they contradictory terms? Tautology if anything

Because the Jobsworth excuses his obstructive behaviour by expressing a real or pretended fear of losing his job, hardly the pose of a militant trade unionist.

I have met plenty of ignorant, arrogant tw*ts in Post Office collection offices, I would like to kick their asses personally but there's the security counter and they have your address.

Whereas I might tend to regard them as pompous little Tory hitlers, you see them as the hated Labourite / Trade Unionist / "chav scum" you so despise.

I am sure my pet predjudice misses the mark more often than not, but yours is seriously off beam.

Edited by Laughing Gnome

Because the Jobsworth excuses his obstructive behaviour by expressing a real or pretended fear of losing his job, hardly the pose of a militant trade unionist.

I disagree.. Since it's only a pretend fear of losing their job.. A bit like BA staff saying their recent strike was all about respect in the workplace when actually it was just about money. They can hide behind a noble claim yet hold it for radical political reasons

you see them as the hated Labourite / Trade Unionist / "chav scum" you so despise.

They are your words not mine.

I disagree.. Since it's only a pretend fear of losing their job.. A bit like BA staff saying their recent strike was all about respect in the workplace when actually it was just about money. They can hide behind a noble claim yet hold it for radical political reasons

They are your words not mine.

Fair comment

Yep

Theres always a carrot to privatise the Royal mail, will it be there after it has gone no.

Guest eight

My local Royal Mail sorting office's interestingly titled 'customer service' service counter has a sign that says 'for attention ring bell ONCE!'

On each visit I ensure I fully depress the button anywhere between three and ten times. I might accept that reception at an A+E department, dealing with trauma victims, might have more important things to do than dealing with the public's queries but, if you're a service whose primary function, these days, is shoving unwanted Domino's pizza flyers and local council's 5-a-day pamphlets through people's letterboxes, simultaneously, it's all a bit much.

Occasionally, my incontinent bell button depression has elicited mumbles of 'can't you read?' but, they all seem to have cottoned on that this only leads to responses of 'you can't ever seem to be able to read my no junk mail sign' etc.

Same here. A big sign saying "Our staff deserve RESPECT!"

I've had to deal with them and believe me, they don't.

http://www.telegraph...ce-the-axe.html

Royal Mail Sorting Office remains the one and only job I have ever been sacked from.

As a bright eyed and bushy tailed graduate on one of my first temp assignments I enthusiastically told the bosses after a few days I could substantially increase the productivity of the sorting process by at least 50% with just a few simple, common sense steps.

I was thrown out of the door within 2 hours on a trumped up charge of racism from 'the bruvvas'.

A valuable lesson.

Which reminds me ... I must go and take the packet we found on our path to the right house yesterday.

It's always been like this though. Back in 1993 I was walking in to Manchester when I saw an unopened envelope on the floor. I picked it up. It was addressed to me. I was half a mile from my house. The chance of me finding that must have been astronomical. (I was only walking in as I was skint)

At the time we had so much post go missing that I'd been took to court for not paying my poll tax cos I'd never had the bill, the first letters from court, the judgement from court....

I'd probably been offered half a dozen jobs via the post but they'd never arrived.