House Price Crash Forum

Just had email from SP, regarding impending electricity price rises.We are on Economy 7, and the first 225 kw is going up by 35%, day usage by 25%, and night usage up by 52%. So much for the 10% rise touted by the media.The most worrying thing is, no one seems to give a sh1t, and the regulators turn the other way. Ah well, means folk will have less to waste on property.

A year of inflation like this should pretty much see the end of HPI...and the economy.

Yeah but we're in for 3-5 years of this kind of inflation though.

Yeah but we're in for 3-5 years of this kind of inflation though.

Well, it was nice knowing you! I'll see you on the other side of complete social disintegration. :)

To be fair to Scottish Power, there's not a lot they can do about this sort of price rise.

Sure, they're making some fat profits - but the rise in outgoings dwarfs them something like 5-fold. The shareholders and board could get forego their salaries, benefits and dividends, and you wouldn't notice the difference on your bill.

Your anger should be directed at:

1. The BoE for failing to tackle inflation, and failing to defend the currency

2. Failure of successive governments to plan for the exhaustion of North Sea gas by developing indigenous technologies (thereby making the power market fundamentally dependent on the exchange rate)

3. The EU for outlawing cheap and abundant fuels (e.g. coal via the Large Combustion Plant Directive) and power technology; and for placing rapidly rising, punitive taxes on energy in general (Carbon credits).

4. The previous government for forcing energy companies to buy grossly overpriced energy because it is 'renewable'. (E.g. the government requires energy companies to buy solar energy at more than 10x the actual value of the energy on the open market).

Well, it was nice knowing you! I'll see you on the other side of complete social disintegration. :)

Looking like the mid-70s, following the Barber boom and the fall-out of the oil crisis of the time. Crisis, what crisis?

To be honest I don't believe it. I'll wait til I see "Great news - Power costs set to soar a whopping 52%!!!" on the cover of the Express thankyou.

Just had email from SP, regarding impending electricity price rises.We are on Economy 7, and the first 225 kw is going up by 35%, day usage by 25%, and night usage up by 52%. So much for the 10% rise touted by the media.The most worrying thing is, no one seems to give a sh1t, and the regulators turn the other way. Ah well, means folk will have less to waste on property.

It was commented on the TV that the increase was all on the first lot of electricity you use and it had nothing to do with increasing wholesale costs.

Luckily as we are in a free market none of the other supplies will follow suit, as there is no power cartel.

I got the same email and my contract is up with them in September anyway so will shop around then or maybe earlier depending on how others interpret the following at the bottom of their email?

*If you notify us that you wish to cancel your agreement before 1st August 2011 and we receive a request for your supply from another supplier within 15 working days, we will not apply the price increase or the cancellation fee for your product. If you have an outstanding debt, we may object to your supply leaving us, but we will give you time to pay the debt and leave us without incurring the increased prices.

FYI

Scottish power is about as Scottish as schnitzel is British.

These are 100% Spanish kunts fvcking with the energy prices.

I don't think Britain has an indigenous energy company left.

I worked at SP corporate office around the time of Ian Robinson and Ian Russell. The directors made some 'cracking' business decisions (NOT).

Anyone remember Thus?

Pacificorp?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/scottishpower-takes-acircpound1bn-hit-on-pacificorp-sale-to-buffett-492022.html

wrt your last point, aren't SSE still British?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_and_Southern_Energy

If you notify us that you wish to cancel your agreement before 1st August 2011 and we receive a request for your supply from another supplier within 15 working days, we will not apply the price increase or the cancellation fee for your product. If you have an outstanding debt, we may object to your supply leaving us, but we will give you time to pay the debt and leave us without incurring the increased prices.

When British Gas announced a price rise last November I switched to EDF and informed British Gas. They denied they ever received word from EDF and applied the price rise in December. EDF are like farts in a trance. I am still waiting to receive my first gas bill, even though my supply was allegedly switched in January and I have supplied several readings. EDF have raised charges once and they are going up again next month. The electric switched OK.