House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

Former Millionaire Entrepreneur Now Lives In A Shed

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/leeds_ex_boss_living_in_a_shed_exclusive_1_3476143

LEEDS mum Anita Crossley was once a millionaire.

Now, having lost the lot, she has been reduced to living in a SHED.

Miss Crossley, who ran a women-only gym before going bust, blames the bankers for her decline.

The 45-year-old says that a year ago she had a booming business, a £450,000 home and assets of more than £1m.

But the economic crash destroyed her business and her home was sold for a third of what it had been worth.

In recent weeks the mum-of-two has been living in her sister’s garden – along with her son and two dogs – in the Broadleas Estate in Bramley.

“I used to live in a seven bedroomed house. Now I am living in a shed,” Miss Crossley said.

“I was an entrepreneur with a busy gym. I had a big detached house and a cottage, a 1/4 acre garden and I drove a Hummer.

continues on the newspaper website...

She reckons her £450,000 house was sold for £160,000 ?

The reader is invited to make their own decision about it's true value.

She doesn't explain how the £600,000 of value she owned in the gym evaporated and why the bank was responsible..

Of course, she could have just had a mortgage on a property that she thought was worth £450k and owed the bank for the gym, which her mates friends brother thought maybe worth £600k (cos that Bannatyne guy is minted and he has lots of gyms) in which case she was worth nothing on paper then, and is worth the same now.

If her business was profitable and she owned 1 million in assets how did she go broke ?

Surely her company was limited so the bank couldn't seize her house.

A millionaire on paper my ****, you have to account for your liabilities as well as your assets. She was never a millionaire the banks just let her pretend.

If her business was profitable and she owned 1 million in assets how did she go broke ?

Surely her company was limited so the bank couldn't seize her house.

A millionaire on paper my ****, you have to account for your liabilities as well as your assets. She was never a millionaire the banks just let her pretend.

She was probably the proud owner of a wrekin ruby. Every millionaire about town has one.

there's another context to this, which granted I shouldn't use as judegment, but it is a context nonetheless

her gym was in Bramley, and her sister where she is currently living is in bramley; this is a large council estate area, not the worst, but still a very Kerry Katona kind of place

Typical Yorkshire pennymillionaire. We grow them up here in Harrogate. The only way is Aspiration NYC. They can all be tagged at Harvey Nicholls, sorry 'Arvey Nicks, in the promise of learning more and understanding this species that is in decline.

"Don't talk to me about sophistication i've been to Leeds"

The gym was worth £600,000 at one point, the house £450,000. I was a millionaire on paper.

Was only ever a millionaire on paper and in her dreams .................................... pathetic.

Was only ever a millionaire on paper and in her dreams .................................... pathetic.

this time last year, Rodney... :lol:

At one point the gym was worth £600k and the house £450k.

Presumably that was at the peak. Since then one can understand the business failing but when interest rates were slashed how did her mortgage repayments treble?

Sounds like robbing peter to prop up paul. Also sounds like she was living well beyond her means and wasted what she should have put aside.

She isnt an entrepreneur, she is living in a shed because she was a one trick pony that funded everything with the banks money during the good times and didnt have the sense to think about the future.

I own a house worth £250k

I remortgage and get £200k in equity released

I put down £50k on 4 new £200k properties.

I am now a millionaire.

Self made too B)

What could possibly go wrong?

C'mon, she doesn't really live in a shed. :rolleyes:

We get these all the time in local papers and on local TV.

She has been turned down for council accomodation, so this is a sob story manufactured for the press.

Both sides get something out of it - the paper gets a 'story', the council looks bad so capitulate and she gets a flat which her son will no doubt 'inherit' in due course as she then moves back in with her bloke.

And her creditors get F*** all is how this usually turns out.

Six months later she's back in business running up a load more debt.

"Six months later she's back in business running up a load more debt."

Well thank goodness for that.

I didn't know whether to be concerned for the poor woman for a moment.

Edited by indirectapproach

The gym was worth £600,000 at one point

Don't be silly, that's more than Leeds United

The gym looks to have been run in an old church, with a banner promoting it on the wall of a shop on the main road.

I think that's a Hummer parked at the entrance, black complete with pink graphics promoting the gym.

http://maps.google.c...2,333.92,,1,8.1

It is. Can you get us in through the window?