House Price Crash Forum
leicestersq

Pension Fraud - Deaths Going Unreported

Expect more of this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8574251/Actress-hid-dead-mothers-body-in-bedroom-to-claim-her-pension.html

Indeed, this is probably only the tip of the iceberg. On HPC we hear this is rife on the sub-continent, and there are numerous cases in Japan. It happens here too.

The eminently sensible decision to pay pensions direct to bank accounts seems to have a flaw. When you had to turn up to claim your pension, you proved you were alive. We desperately need a way of proving life if pensions are not going to debase themselves into this gruesomest of frauds.

Expect more of this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8574251/Actress-hid-dead-mothers-body-in-bedroom-to-claim-her-pension.html

Indeed, this is probably only the tip of the iceberg. On HPC we hear this is rife on the sub-continent, and there are numerous cases in Japan. It happens here too.

The eminently sensible decision to pay pensions direct to bank accounts seems to have a flaw. When you had to turn up to claim your pension, you proved you were alive. We desperately need a way of proving life if pensions are not going to debase themselves into this gruesomest of frauds.

Some pension schemes do carry out "existence exercises" where they attempt to audit whether the pensioners are all still alive.

A determined fraudster has a decent chance of beating it if the death is unreported, mind.

Turning up to collect pensions, incidentally, doesn't solve it entirely since fraudsters can still turn up with fake ID

Some pension schemes do carry out "existence exercises" where they attempt to audit whether the pensioners are all still alive.

A determined fraudster has a decent chance of beating it if the death is unreported, mind.

Turning up to collect pensions, incidentally, doesn't solve it entirely since fraudsters can still turn up with fake ID

Scottbeard,

yes, I am sure that there is a lot of this fraud out there. On another thread I was going on about the need for a national ID system, including holding stuff like DNA and mugshots, perhaps fingerprints. Such a system would be usable here, requiring you to give a fingerprint every 3 months or so, just to prove you are still alive. The information would be on the system, not any id card, so you would need a fake finger to get round it, not impossible but every barrier helps. We need something though.

Luckily in the UK, the reporting of deaths is very organised. I think in other countries, the paying of pensions may well go on for a long time after bereavement, causing a huge increase in apparent longevity.

If the NHS system is operational, then its possible to see if OAP's have suddenly stopped visiting their doctor surely?

I doubt if there is something in place that feeds back information to the Pensions system from the NHS, other than a reporting of death. What you are suggesting is something that reports life, I bet that info isnt recorded and used.

When my great uncle died (widowed, childless and without appointing an executor), it fell to my father to sort out the mess. I helped him with the formalities, one of which was to identify every company and organisation he had live financial dealings with at the time of his death (banks, utility suppliers etc.) and inform them that he had died. In some cases this was easier said than done, and in the case of the bank that held his current account it took six weeks before we even got a letter of acknowledgement. Two extra months' pension was paid into his account during this time (i.e. after his death but before the account was frozen). Dad's solicitor wrote to the DSS and his private pension scheme offering to pay the money back: the DSS did not and the pension scheme failed to answer the letter by the time his affairs were wrapped up. The last I knew, Dad had still not got a definitive answer as to how long he should keep this money ringfenced in case they ask for it at a later date.

Expect more of this.

I have heard of people not reporting the death and still claiming pension, but not to keeping the body after Death :o

Scottbeard,

yes, I am sure that there is a lot of this fraud out there. On another thread I was going on about the need for a national ID system, including holding stuff like DNA and mugshots, perhaps fingerprints. Such a system would be usable here, requiring you to give a fingerprint every 3 months or so, just to prove you are still alive. The information would be on the system, not any id card, so you would need a fake finger to get round it, not impossible but every barrier helps. We need something though.

Luckily in the UK, the reporting of deaths is very organised. I think in other countries, the paying of pensions may well go on for a long time after bereavement, causing a huge increase in apparent longevity.

I knew of a case in India where the finger was removed and preserved in imbarming fluid and used periodically to make a frUdulant statement about the existence of a deceased annuitant .

No need to panic, when a doctor certifies death details go to the DWP and this is tied up with pension records so little chance of fraud there