House Price Crash Forum

I work nearby, the building was being renovated.

Whole area has been closed to traffic, just spent a great half-hour lunch-break walking down the traffic-free Strand and Waterloo Bridge - almost wished for more fires :)

the ONLY way i will beleive (ATM) this was an accident is if it is found that the building has NO insurance at all.

if my coincidence the insurance policy recently got changed to, say, include fire damage, then its was deffinatly Arson by the owners IMO

As a Risk Engineer, this will undoubtedly be caused by hot work (cutting / welding) and generally poor control of contractors - i see this sort of thing happening all the time!

As a Risk Engineer, this will undoubtedly be caused by hot work (cutting / welding) and generally poor control of contractors - i see this sort of thing happening all the time!

I'll bet you do, i'll bet you do, nudge nudge wink wink.

Boycey voice\\.

This is so central and such a prime location that I'd be very surprised if Jewish lightning was to blame. If it was a development of 'luxury apartments' in the depths of Lewisham maybe, but just around the corner from the square mile and theatreland?!

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri

This is so central and such a prime location that I'd be very surprised if Jewish lightning was to blame. If it was a development of 'luxury apartments' in the depths of Lewisham maybe, but just around the corner from the square mile and theatreland?!

More at the BBC:

Fire at Marconi House in London's West End

The 10-storey building is being converted to a five-star hotel and 86 luxury flats to a design by Norman Foster's architectural firm.

A spokeswoman for Spanish company Melia Hotels International, which owns the property said: "Pending a final assessment, the extent of the material damage is unknown.

Up to 12 fire engines and about 50 firefighters are continuing "damping down" activities at the building and a cordon will remain in place through the night, LFB said.

More than a hint of foul play here. Smells like the developer got cold feet to me. Or should that be hot feet?

Edited by Little Professor