House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Homer J Simpson

Working On An Older House.....experiences?

Hi guys,

i've just seen an older house that has dropped from 180k to 150k.

now i think the owners may drop another 5k.

but i visited the house, it needs totally rewired. the agent (young fella) said that it may need re-plumbed (even though it's oil heating).......though he wasnt sure.

he couldnt tell me how old the house was, why the chimey pot (you know, the chimney breast from the roof upwards was taken away) i.e. you know the chimney is there but only runs to the top of the attic.......there's no pot through the roof. (sorry my explaination isnt great)

:unsure:

anyhow's, i'm not sure if the house is worth the bother. its needing a lot of work.

however, its in a fantastic location.....and is detached.

anyone any advice on taking on such a job. also, similar houses around there are going for 220k.

plus room sizes are this if anyone would have any idea of the cost of rewiring (its in Belfast)

LIVING ROOM:19' 3" x 12' 7" (5.87m x 3.84m)

FAMILY DINING:21' 0" x 12' 1" (6.4m x 3.68m)

KITCHEN:14' 3" x 7' 5" (4.34m x 2.26m)

BEDROOM (1):19' 3" x 12' 7" (5.87m x 3.84m)

BEDROOM (2):12' 1" x 11' 0" (3.68m x 3.35m)

BEDROOM (3):7' 3" x 7' 0" (2.21m x 2.13m)

BATHROOM: ?

ATTACHED GARAGE14' 0" x 8' 0" (4.27m x 2.44m)

thanks

Hi guys,

but i visited the house, it needs totally rewired. the agent (young fella) said that it may need re-plumbed (even though it's oil heating).......though he wasnt sure.

he couldnt tell me how old the house was, why the chimey pot (you know, the chimney breast from the roof upwards was taken away) i.e. you know the chimney is there but only runs to the top of the attic.......there's no pot through the roof. (sorry my explaination isnt great)

anyhow's, i'm not sure if the house is worth the bother. its needing a lot of work.

anyone any advice on taking on such a job. also, similar houses around there are going for 220k.

plus room sizes are this if anyone would have any idea of the cost of rewiring (its in Belfast)

thanks

The best type of old house is one occupying a perfect plot but so dilapidated and cheap that you can knock it down and build a passive German prefab.

Old houses are mainly obsolete old technology now, energy-hungry and inefficient.

Unless they are really special then renovating them is a waste of time, money and energy IMO.

I 100% guarantee that if this is your first scheme, whatever realistic budget you set aside for works will be blown to smithereens.

They'll be damp under the carpet / lino / wall paper. Chunks of plaster will start falling off as you strip the walls.

I would have at least a 20-30% contingency on top of a generous budget. (By this I mean if you have the slightest suspicion something might need work, not only make an allowance, make it for a full replacement / refurbishment)

Hi guys,

thanks

If you're not sure, don't do it. In the current market I very much doubt it would make economic sense to renovate and the headaches will be bigger than you can imagine.

The only exceptions are if you fall in a love with a perfect house in which the age is part of the attraction or if you have the skills to do a lot of the work yourself for free. If there are lots of other houses like this only not falling down I can't see the point. Better sit on your money and hope for further falls which will allow you to get something better.

If you do go ahead though, make sure you pay out for the fullest possible survey as there is likely to be lots of other stuff wrong that isn't immediately obvious to you.

by the way is the bit of the chimney you are referring to the chimney stack? the pot is the round ceramic bit that sits on the top, replacing that would be easy.

If you're not sure, don't do it. In the current market I very much doubt it would make economic sense to renovate and the headaches will be bigger than you can imagine.

The only exceptions are if you fall in a love with a perfect house in which the age is part of the attraction or if you have the skills to do a lot of the work yourself for free. If there are lots of other houses like this only not falling down I can't see the point. Better sit on your money and hope for further falls which will allow you to get something better.

If you do go ahead though, make sure you pay out for the fullest possible survey as there is likely to be lots of other stuff wrong that isn't immediately obvious to you.

by the way is the bit of the chimney you are referring to the chimney stack? the pot is the round ceramic bit that sits on the top, replacing that would be easy.

hey thanks to everyone for their response. :D

hey thanks to everyone for their response. :D

I would have thought you would be looking at £4-5k for a rewire, as a tradesman I would say never go into a renovation without your eyes wide open, a very comprehensive survey and expecting everything to go wrong. Get quotes, make a budget THEN DOUBLE IT