House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dogbox

Mods, People Need To Read This Before You Move It;

The price Im paying is 60500 euros plus E/As commission @7%, for a piece of land with planning to build appartments (I probably wont build).

What do you think the current vendors paid in 1997?

Well, Ive just seen the official land regisrty records show.......

wait.....

wait......

225000 euros.

Come on Dr Bubb, is that a trough or is that a trough. Imagine what will happen in the next 10 years. Think back to Glasgow 1991, or Manchester 1991 when land was dirt cheap.

I enjoy your previous posts about crowd behaviour very much. The German crowd sentiment is at rock bottom. But they are once again the worlds number 1 exporter.

If you have a bit of spare cash, now is the time. Ive seen land in Berlin for £22000 with permission, and less outside Berlin.

Sorry to post this here, but we all discuss troughs and peaks and how to spot them, so I felt this would add to the educational mix.

:ph34r:

The price Im paying is 60500 euros plus E/As commission @7%, for a piece of land with planning to build appartments (I probably wont build).

As a matter of curiousity, is planning permission limited to a certain period of time - as in the UK?What do you think the current vendors paid in 1997?

Well, Ive just seen the official land regisrty records show.......

wait.....

wait......

225000 euros.

Come on Dr Bubb, is that a trough or is that a trough. Imagine what will happen in the next 10 years. Think back to Glasgow 1991, or Manchester 1991 when land was dirt cheap.

I enjoy your previous posts about crowd behaviour very much. The German crowd sentiment is at rock bottom. But they are once again the worlds number 1 exporter. Is this true? I don't mean 'are you lying?' - I mean if this is true it amazes me - what do they make now? Once upon a time half the things in this country made out of metal were made in Germany - then Japan - but now it's more likely to be the Far East. I thought Germany was having hard times - but they're the world's biggest exporter?

If you have a bit of spare cash, now is the time. Ive seen land in Berlin for £22000 with permission, and less outside Berlin.

Sorry to post this here, but we all discuss troughs and peaks and how to spot them, so I felt this would add to the educational mix.

:ph34r:

This is a good move dogbox.

I have spent some time in Berlin and believe this city is destined to be the capital of Europe.

These are exciting times for Berlin.

The Germans have played a very different economic game and Berlin is an anomalie for sure as there has been no HPI bubble. On the contrary you get a lot for your money there and prices have fallen significantly.

Good luck.

Marina

The planning permission has expired. My Lawyer is checking that the planning can be ressrected at any future date. He and the E/A and general 'German planning rules' all indicate it is quite usuall to resurect planning. My Lawyer (a German branch of a reputable London firm) can forsee no problems.

The land has appartment blocks either side, and the whole street comprises appartments, so it is highly unlikely there will be any problems. There are loads of other plots for sale should I encounter any problems on this one.

As for Germany being the worlds number one exporter, this was reported as such by the BBC in the weeks leading up to the German elections.

Ive also read reports published by leading German Banks and economic foundations that all point to structural solidity.

I know its hard to believe land has fallen 75%, but I can recall many examples of this in the UK recession where people aquired land at prices that went on to increase by as much as 30 x by 2003.

I have to hand it to you, Dogbox, you are a go-for-it kind of guy. Best of luck.

Actually, I deserve no praise. In reality Im naturally very bearish and find it difficult to take investment plunges.

I detest worry like no - one else I know, and have many times turned my back on investments only to later regret it. Even the night before flying to Berlin I couldnt sleep a wink with worry.

This one works for me because I believe land always has an intrinsic value to someone somewhere. Given prices have fallen 75%, and given its the German capital, and given Germans have huge savings and low borrowing, and given the land regisrty shows the previous 225000e price, my usual worries are surpressed just enough for me to go ahead.

Still a worry in terms of tying - up capital, and having less to fall back on should UK hit recession, but sometimes you just have to suck it and see.

The price Im paying is 60500 euros plus E/As commission @7%, for a piece of land with planning to build appartments (I probably wont build).....................

Standort, Standort, Standort (Bezirk und Strasse bitte!)

This one works for me because I believe land always has an intrinsic value to someone somewhere. Given prices have fallen 75%, and given its the German capital, and given Germans have huge savings and low borrowing, and given the land regisrty shows the previous 225000e price, my usual worries are surpressed just enough for me to go ahead.

are you sure it wasnt 225,000 DM which was the currency back in 1997 ?

Nah! where dogbox has bought they were still using the old east

german Deuschemark in 1997. Bit behind the times.

What was the rate back then 10:1

Sounds a good move dogbox go 4 it.

Any move from the UK is a good move as I see it.

Yet another law is you must insure your car even if you don’t drive it. What a joke the Uk has become

yes, Dogbox , in 1997 it would have been Deutsch Marks........are you sure you mean 225k in euros?

because that much in Marks is about 120k in euros...........

It was 450000 DM.

Nah! where dogbox has bought they were still using the old east

german Deuschemark in 1997. Bit behind the times.

What was the rate back then 10:1

Nope. The old DM went in 1990 old bean.

Ill treble check via my Lawyer, but the German groundbook (land reg document) reads 450000DM which is 225000 euros.

I was in Berlin a couple of weeks ago. It's a great city, though desperately bankrupt at the moment, so no doubt there's a great deal of potential upside to the market there. If I was into property speculation, Berlin would be my punt.

Best of luck db!

It was 450000 DM.

Where have you bought DB. I've lived here for 20yrs now so I know the place good.

What borough, eg Treptow, Steglitz and what street.

The price difference seems TOO GOOD; its been bad here but not that bad.

There has to be a catch. My german is fluent and I do not trust the bas*ards at all.

It was 450000 DM.

Ill treble check via my Lawyer, but the German groundbook (land reg document) reads 450000DM which is 225000 euros.

It was actually the RM (Reichsmark) in the east. I claim the pedant of the week award.

It was actually the RM (Reichsmark) in the east. I claim the pedant of the week award.

I've just done some research on doggy's behalf:

The property he's bought was according to german land registory figures sold for in 1925 :

wait!!!!!!!

wait for it!!!!!!

wait!!!!!!

876,500,000,000,000,000,006,775 Marks ................ or was that for a bread roll?!!!!! :rolleyes:

you've been robbed doggy.

I've just done some research on doggy's behalf:

The property he's bought was according to german land registory figures sold for in 1925 :

wait!!!!!!!

wait for it!!!!!!

wait!!!!!!

876,500,000,000,000,000,006,775 Marks ................ or was that for a bread roll?!!!!! :rolleyes:

you've been robbed doggy.

Robbed? Sounds like a steal. He's got it for a fair old discount if that's what it used to be worth.

Germany seems to be the best deal for property at the moment in Europe - so why aren't ppl buying there?

Germans have a completely different outlook on property to us idiots in the UK.

It’s a nation of renters (very cheap rents) so they can’t be bothered slaving away

paying off a mortgage just before they die of old age.

I’m hoping when the UK joints the ‘Federal state of Europe’ some laws will

change to give renters more rights, that might up set some landlords, but hey...

sacrifices have to be made.

Great name... FreeNapoleon. :D

DOGBOX.

The savings rate in Germany is at an all time high. The total debt of the UK could easily be

covered by german savings.

Now, germans are very conservative when it comes to investing and there are literally billions of

€'s sitting in investment funds, espessially property funds. The country is in a pickle at the moment

but it is still incredibly rich, much more so than the UK.

Sp, there is a lot of money sloshing about looking for a home.

Why has your little plot of land not been bought up allready by german investors?

They are not stupid, the capital is available, so why does it take a foreigner to buy the land?

If it's such a good investment, why have'nt germans touched it?

Why have'nt you responded to where the land is?

HAVE YOU SIGHNED UP FOR THE DEAL YET?

Dogbox

Be interested to know how the German property game works. i.e. can you back out like in England? or once you offer are you committed etc.

Not sure how the buying process works, but I know that tenants have a much stronger security of tenure in Germany. I believe tenancy agreements are often open-ended, which makes it difficult to evict tenants or raise rents.