House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Increasing Number Of Middle-Income Parents Don't Want Their Children To Go To University As It's 'not Worth The Investment'

Increasing number of middle-income parents don't want their children to go to university as it's 'not worth the investment'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003329/University-longer-worth-money-says-middle-class-parents.html#ixzz1PFJcFzos

Well, that will have a knock on affect on uni towns.

Increasing number of middle-income parents don't want their children to go to university as it's 'not worth the investment'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003329/University-longer-worth-money-says-middle-class-parents.html#ixzz1PFJcFzos

Well, that will have a knock on affect on uni towns.

This must have been the long-term intention.

The Tories and Literal Democraps alike spout all sorts of nonsense about freebies for the poorest kids but as with everything else it's those slightly higher up the chain, ie whose parents aren't feckless scoungers, that will suffer the most

My daughter still wants to go and should have an easy time getting in, but my son - who would have to work bloody hard to qualify though he might still make it with a lot of effort - is looking at the amount of money involved, along with the effort to get there, and has already mentally crossed the idea off. I don't see any aspiration replacing this any time soon.

It's a shame as a lot of boys are late in getting to grips with their studies but take to it at some point. Watch the education system soon being skewed even more towards girls (and the rich of both sexes) than it is at the moment.

Good news for UK bonds. The chattels of the state are TRAPPED in the UK as the bit of paper you get at the end if a requirement for many countries to get work and residency visas.

Good news for UK bonds. The chattels of the state are TRAPPED in the UK as the bit of paper you get at the end if a requirement for many countries to get work and residency visas.

Watch for a boom in online courses. Or a surge in places for local technical colleges or similar. All in all this may be a damn fine thing.

Edited by tomwatkins

Watch for a boom in online courses. Or a surge in places for local yechnical colleges or similar. All in all this may be a damn fine thing.

Nah some nations are quite specific! Korea demands a 3-4 degree from an accredited institution.

After the kiddie fiddler with the swirly face photoshop was found to have been a nonce in Korea.

Might improve the quality of ESLers tbh as I've seen some attrocious ones out there.

Is there any reason the lectures cant be videoed and watched on you tube?

At a cost of £50 a day does it mean that at the end of a day at university you brain is worth £50 more than it was when you got up that morning?

At a cost of £50 a day does it mean that at the end of a day at university you brain is worth £50 more than it was when you got up that morning?

Copyright issues probably and it sustains their business model

Watch for a boom in online courses. Or a surge in places for local technical colleges or similar. All in all this may be a damn fine thing.

Or more of this: http://www.shropshirestar.com/education/2010/08/26/thomas-telford-school-could-be-first-to-offer-degrees/

Ambitious plans have been unveiled which would see Thomas Telford School becoming the first in the country to offer degree courses for its brightest sixth-formers.

Degrees don't measure competency alone, they measure competency + ability to suck dick for years to get a decent job.

This system is self sustaining, as only those whop are prepared to go to insane lengths to get a piece of paper pass through, and then they get to decide social and education policies. Chances of some guy who spent 10 years getting a piece of paper to access a captive market arguing against the status quo and asking for said captive market to be opened up?

Zero.

Edited by Injin

MIT put all their courses on oline for anyone to access, im sure others probably do, Bloo Loos Khan academy is an excellent encyclopedia of loads of interesting stuff. Basically there is nothing that a motivated learner could not learn about online if they wanted. Of course it wont give you the piece of paper and getting your nuts in consistently over a 3 year period will probably require slightly more effort but thats about the only upside i found at Uni over the information i can absorb from the net and books

Edited by georgia o'keeffe

Copyright issues probably and it sustains their business model

Stupid really. when you think a lecturer will stand up year after year giving the same old guff some of it a carbon copy of the lecture he got when he was a student. when it could be videoed once and everybody could see it.

can't see any reason INTERNET access should not be allowed in exam rooms. The Internet is here now it's not going to disappear

Stupid really. when you think a lecturer will stand up year after year giving the same old guff some of it a carbon copy of the lecture he got when he was a student.

Believe it or not, human knowledge does actually progress over time. Staying at the forefront of it and teaching undergraduates (preparing lectures and practical classes and setting exams) takes time and effort.

Nah some nations are quite specific! Korea demands a 3-4 degree from an accredited institution.

After the kiddie fiddler with the swirly face photoshop was found to have been a nonce in Korea.

Might improve the quality of ESLers tbh as I've seen some attrocious ones out there.

OK then don't go to Korea. Does any Brit want to anyway? My point is that "accredited" universities who see their numbers drop (which they will) will find a way round it. University of Phoenix in the US has been doing it for quite a few years now and there is no detriment to having that degree, as my young nephew can testify.

MIT put all their courses on oline for anyone to access, im sure others probably do, Bloo Loos Khan academy is an excellent encyclopedia of loads of interesting stuff. Basically there is nothing that a motivated learner could not learn about online if they wanted. Of course it wont give you the piece of paper and getting your nuts in consistently over a 3 year period will probably require slightly more effort but thats about the only upside i found at Uni over the information i can absorb from the net and books

Although not related to degrees some more hands on stuff can only be learnt erm hands on. Certain pratical aspects of engineering for instance.

OK then don't go to Korea. Does any Brit want to anyway? My point is that "accredited" universities who see their numbers drop (which they will) will find a way round it. University of Phoenix in the US has been doing it for quite a few years now and there is no detriment to having that degree, as my young nephew can testify.

Or they will just import more students. MMU, Salford for instance there are very large numbers of Chinese students studying there.

Although not related to degrees some more hands on stuff can only be learnt erm hands on. Certain pratical aspects of engineering for instance.

yes, clearly i should have specified more practical learnings require practical participation, i wasnt suggesting becoming a surgeon with a study book and a game of operation

Try this site http://academicearth.org/

Or they will just import more students. MMU, Salford for instance there are very large numbers of Chinese students studying there.

Still doesn't alter the fact that they could (and should IMO) offer both. Again I cite University of Phoenix as an example. They offer both, why not a good British Uni?

Stupid really. when you think a lecturer will stand up year after year giving the same old guff some of it a carbon copy of the lecture he got when he was a student. when it could be videoed once and everybody could see it.

can't see any reason INTERNET access should not be allowed in exam rooms. The Internet is here now it's not going to disappear

Very narrow minded view of education. Where is the interaction ? What about the ability to ask questions, inject humour, captivate the audience...

Not that many of my lecturers did any of those things. They do get lazy - back in 1996, one of mine delivered an architecture / structure lecture and referred to a book called "Modern Methods of Construction".

It was publised in 1914.

Believe it or not, human knowledge does actually progress over time..

Except for Economics, which is more of a random walk, Theology, which has been justifying the unjustifiable for n thousand years, and Newtonian dynamics, which hasn't changed much since, well, Newton.

Not sure how you'd do Geology field trips as home study. 'Please run up and down the stairs 50 times, then draw a picture of a welsh rock whilst stood in the shower'.

Except for Economics, which is more of a random walk, Theology, which has been justifying the unjustifiable for n thousand years, and Newtonian dynamics, which hasn't changed much since, well, Newton.

Not sure how you'd do Geology field trips as home study. 'Please run up and down the stairs 50 times, then draw a picture of a welsh rock whilst stood in the shower'.

Economics isn't a random walk at all.

Economics is more like nutrional information though, it only says what happens if you do a behaviour - the problem for us all being that the behaviours themselves are optional.

This has meant the field has wound up filled with quacks and apologists for things like central banking. Plausible men with lawyer like arguments.

This must have been the long-term intention.

The Tories and Literal Democraps alike spout all sorts of nonsense about freebies for the poorest kids but as with everything else it's those slightly higher up the chain, ie whose parents aren't feckless scoungers, that will suffer the most

My daughter still wants to go and should have an easy time getting in, but my son - who would have to work bloody hard to qualify though he might still make it with a lot of effort - is looking at the amount of money involved, along with the effort to get there, and has already mentally crossed the idea off. I don't see any aspiration replacing this any time soon.

It's a shame as a lot of boys are late in getting to grips with their studies but take to it at some point. Watch the education system soon being skewed even more towards girls (and the rich of both sexes) than it is at the moment.

send him to Europe its cheaper.

These children will struggle to compete with older cohorts that have degrees.

What maybe these parents do not understand is that almost every job in many regions of the UK now require a degree on a CV (regardless of whether it is useful or not), and that old "graduate entry/second level" jobs are now being pursued by all kinds of age groups with more experience, skills, and a raft of qualifications.

The guy that got the developer job in our department (a part-time, average salary pro-rata job that would have once been a "second job" for a twenty-something tech geek graduate back in the late 90s) is in his late 40s, has twenty years of database/coding/developing experience and a PhD in physics. Everyone under 40 in our department, even the admin assistants, have MAs and professional qualifications -- even our 25 year old marketing officer has a postgrad CIM professional diploma. Our web editor has three MAs; one in publishing, one in journalism, and one in linguistics, and thirteen years of work experience in the field. All these people earn under £30K a year.

When students leave university, they are not competing just against their own cohort for jobs but against rafts of people aged up to 65 with more experience, qualifications and skills than they have, and against highly-qualified bilingual EU migrants that are happy to earn less than £20K a year.

I went to University in the late 1990's.

There were no tuition fees and some people even got grants.

Somehow the economy coped with me going, and have probably now regained far more in tax than it cost to educate me.

I don't really understand why what was sustainable 10-5 years ago is suddenly not so.

If it is that "too many" people are going to University then only allow the top 50 or so institutions to call themselves universities, fund them properly, and the rest can go private.

Creating an effective tax band over £21k of 41% (including NI) and over £42k of 52% (or whatever it is with NI) for graduates is ridiculous. How are they supposed to live a decent life on that type of tax take?!